• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Its Own Convention After Surpassing 1 Million Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Well, there's also that to a select few, "Crunchy Con," refers to something rather different than what they likely want to convey..

Wow! Way off topic, but I love the fact that the book is 11 years old and includes a line on the cover saying, "countercultural conservatives plan to save American (or at least the Republican Party)." Guess that didn't work out so well, huh?
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
I mean great they feel confident their brand can draw the fans in, but what are their plans to stand out? New announcements for PR? They've been doing fine without the extravagance. I'm not convinced organizing their own convention is as useful as investing in their main service. I can't see this increasing their profit margin, maybe sustain their user base.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
At that time they didn't have a particularly large catalog and were only streaming a handful of currently airing titles. I remember that Saki and Shangri-La were two of the first currently airing titles I watched. The site sure has come a long way since then.

To a limited degree, I remember those days! I privately dismissed the service at the time due to its prohibitive regional restrictions, though the progress made in that respect is most applaudable.

We can only wonder how a convention will operate if a single licensor were to run it in its entirety. While direct rivals will presumably be absent for the sake of protecting Crunchyroll's commercial interests, will independent dealers be invited? I cannot envisage an anime convention without a plethora of stallholders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Since others insist on going off topic...

Perhaps my internet service is too good, but I have no complains on CR's video quality and their subtitles. As long as I can buy BD's, streams of not so pristine quality will not bother me.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
The video quality of CR is better then what the Japanese get on TV, so I'm not complaining there.

Not when you go by "bitrate". CR has awful bitrate and they're still using flash. Flash is a massive security risk. Almost every other major website has moved onto HTML5 by now, CR needs to do the same.

My main issue with CR is their absolute disregard for the actual content. They take far too many liberties with their translations. Gabriel DropOut episode 4 was abysmal. I know very limited Japanese and even I couldn't help but stop every few sentences and shale my head at how wrong the subtitles were. There's localizing, and then there's rewriting. They basically rewrote that episode. They do this so often it's disgusting. It's not as bad as Funimation turning a gay character straight in a dub, but it's still bad to rewrite someone else's product.

Second, is more personal. A few years ago CR held a contest where the award was signed Makoto Shinkai goods. The problem is that a good chunk of their "Correct" answers were wrong. I told them this with 100% irrefutable evidence the very day they posted the answers, so the rewards were not shipped out already or anything and they've still refused to accept responsibility for screwing me and around 50 other people that I know of, of even being in the drawing despite being the only ones that actually got the answers right. The only acknowledgement they gave me was a mod/admin telling me that the contest and everything involved was "run by a third party so we have no control, we only hosted" or something along those lines. As a massive Shinkai fan this incident has given me much hatred for the site.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Gamer Goku wrote:
Tfw you're on the east coast.

THIS. Cali already has Expo..FML
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm a pessimist by nature so I hope this doesn't turn into a cluster fudge that aside as subscriber happy I was able to contribute something to making this possible. Hope it goes well.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Flash is a massive security risk. Almost every other major website has moved onto HTML5 by now, CR needs to do the same.

They started a HTML5 beta for Premium+ users last month.
soltini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Gamer Goku wrote:
Tfw you're on the east coast.

THIS. Cali already has Expo..FML

For those complaining that it's in California... you do know that Crunchyroll HQ is in San Francisco so it makes sense the con would be in the SF Bay Area...

I live in the SF Bay Area, specifically in the South Bay/Silicon Valley. Santa Clara is hella close and this is awesome news!

I hope it will be cool with awesome guests and they can move to the bigger San Jose Convention Center. Fanime doesn't have good industry guests from Japan so I'mlooking forward to another convention in the Bay Area!
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Another con in the summer in California....Yawn

I wish the one in NYC was in the summer. Sadly the one in November is very close to a Doctor Who one I go to every year and I am sure there will be conflicts.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, CrunchyCon (because that is what I and others will call you), for setting up in my stomping grounds. It sounds to me that you'll be filling the void left by the French when they took their Japan Expo USA away in 2015.

Honestly not sure what you could do that other cons have not tried before.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
People still watch on their PC? I use a Roku through my 50" LCD TV. Before that, I used the Crunchyroll app on my Blu-Ray player.

As for quality, Crunchyroll is superior to the other streaming services, especially Funimation. I have been waiting for fixes to the funi app, but to no avail despite my multiple reports of the issues. Sadly, their site has become even less usable if I wanted to use a PC instead. I have seriously been considering dropping my subscription.
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean they won't be at AX probably, but whatever I will pass since AX is closer with it being in LA.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
I'm not convinced organizing their own convention is as useful as investing in their main service. I can't see this increasing their profit margin, maybe sustain their user base.

IF the convention is "successful" it will represent a new income stream. ie. it will DEFINITELY improve profit margin because it will make its own money. Just for comparison, I'm going to take the LEAST of the events they chose as comparative:

In 2016 BlizzCon pulled in around 25,000 people (has been flat in attendance, probably capped, for the last 5 years). The ticket price for BlizzCon is $200.

25k people x $200 = $5million. That's BEFORE adding in any income from artists & exhibitors (according to their website, they'll have both, but no info up yet).

Let's assume they pull 1/4th of that:
6250 people x $200 = $1.25million.

AOD ran in the same facility last year with only 3000-4000 attendees. Let's assume 5000 people is the "number to meet costs. If they just get 1/4th of BlizzCon's current numbers (for reference, BlizzCon pulled 8,000 people in its first year), that's still $250k straight profit. And that's BEFORE (again) factoring in other monies from vendors & artists who often get charged hundreds per table/booth.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Yay... another group is putting together a convention with strong planned industry presence in the summer, in California... as opposed to... ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE FRIGGIN USA.

Joy Rolling Eyes

My thoughts exactly. AX is already the place to go for that kind of stuff, so yet another only a few hours away seems redundant in many ways. I know it's more difficult to get Japanese creators out here on the East Coast, but that's where the need is. California already has there's.

I also somewhat agree with others about their main service needing to have more focus. It's pretty good most of the time on my end, especially video quality, but I think their biggest issue is keeping up with server space. I know a lot of people have big buffering issues that are exclusive to CR. I did for quite a while as well.

But anyway, congrats on 1 million subscribers. That's a big feat. And gives them more importance and leverage in Japan, I imagine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5