• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Its Own Convention After Surpassing 1 Million Paid Subscribers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
risli

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
For those complaining that it's in California... You do know that Crunchyroll's HQ is in San Francisco so it would make sense for their first con to be in the SF Bay Area. Also, yes there's Anime Expo but LA is like a 5-6 hours drive south of the South Bay area of SF.. Even longer up north with CA traffic.

I live in the South Bay/Silicon Valley so I'm pretty excited! It's super close. Also, MagFest is bringing MagWest to the West Coast and it will also be happening next door that weekend at the Santa Clara Hyatt Regency.

I hope it will be cool with awesome guests and they can move to the bigger San Jose Convention Center in the future if the con is successful. Fanime in San Jose doesn't have good industry guests from Japan so I'm really excited for another convention in the Bay Area!

(PS: I made a new account since for some reason I couldn't post comments on my older luker account Anime dazed.)

Last edited by risli on Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX are you nuts do you think people are going to pay over $200 dollars for a Anime Con? Even Anime Expo the largest Con in the U.S. doesn't cost that much. Now maybe they could sell some premium tickets at that price with extra perks and so forth but for general admission ain't going to happen.

I'm interested in this new Con if they do it right since I'm right in their backyard and the local Fanime Con has been stale for years. It's now just a fan gathering and Cosplay Fest with no guests or any big draws all while charging up the ass with no real benefits.

If Crunchyroll lands some big time guests, concerts, and other events like they promise I would gladly pay top dollar to get in as long as they don't screw me and other con goers over like the now dead Japan Expo. God I hope they take a page out of what not to from them.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
My earlier comment about video quality was in reference to the encoding, nothing to do with how well my internet can handle CrunchyRoll's faux-1080p.

I hope CrunchyCon (also not calling it anything else) results in more Hime art.
Zumie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I can't support these guys after they made and owe so much of their success to fa subs. That said I'm a dub person, so I wouldn't really be paying for crunchy roll anyway.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll is the title sponsor of AnimeNYC this November in New York City's Javits Center, so I don't understand everyone complaining about Crunchyroll only hosting cons on the west coast. One in California, one in New York, they've got the coasts covered. They need to schedule one in Chicago now!

...But the timing sucks. I can't think of a worse time to host a con in New York than November, right before Thanksgiving. If they wanted to avoid the summer con crunch, I would have preferred that they schedule it somewhere between early spring and early summer, I.e., between a month before Anime Boston (March 31-April 2) and Otakon (August 11-13). It would have fit in nicely, had decent weather, and been better overall for commuting New Yorkers.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
AOD ran in the same facility last year with only 3000-4000 attendees. Let's assume 5000 people is the "number to meet costs. If they just get 1/4th of BlizzCon's current numbers (for reference, BlizzCon pulled 8,000 people in its first year), that's still $250k straight profit. And that's BEFORE (again) factoring in other monies from vendors & artists who often get charged hundreds per table/booth.

Huh? First off, nobody but nobody is going to pay $200 for a ticket to an anime convention. Especially for a first-timer with no track record, Blizzcon started at $50 over a decade ago. Doubly especially considering how many other anime conventions there are to choose from.

Second off, setting aside your ludicrous assumptions about income, how can calculate profit without establishing the costs?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Zumie wrote:
I can't support these guys after they made and owe so much of their success to fa subs. That said I'm a dub person, so I wouldn't really be paying for crunchy roll anyway.

I had a feeling this hoary old chestnut would pop up at some point. Yes, it's indisputable that CR's origins were illegitimate. However, at a certain point they turned legit and their presence has been a huge boon for both anime producers (in terms of providing licensing fees and exposure for shows) and anime fans who can pretty much get the entire slate of any currently airing season in one place for like $5 a month. This "I shall never forget or forgive their origins unto the 1,000th generation" is incredibly petty.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Another con in the summer in California....Yawn

I wish the one in NYC was in the summer. Sadly the one in November is very close to a Doctor Who one I go to every year and I am sure there will be conflicts.
Me too! The only con I attend year round is NYCC so if the New York anime con was to take place earlier in the summer I'd be all for it!

I've been meaning to ask another native New Yorker if you think because they are giving anime it's own con again in New York, that there will still be anime represented at NYCC? This'll determine whether or not I attend this year.

risli wrote:
For those complaining that it's in California... You do know that Crunchyroll's HQ is in San Francisco so it would make sense for their first con to be in the SF Bay Area. Also, yes there's Anime Expo but LA is like a 5-6 hours drive south of the South Bay area of SF.. Even longer up north with CA traffic.

I live in the South Bay/Silicon Valley so I'm pretty excited! It's super close. Also, MagFest is bringing MagWest to the West Coast and it will also be happening next door that weekend at the Santa Clara Hyatt Regency.

I hope it will be cool with awesome guests and they can move to the bigger San Jose Convention Center in the future if the con is successful. Fanime in San Jose doesn't have good industry guests from Japan so I'm really excited for another convention in the Bay Area!

(PS: I made a new account since for some reason I couldn't post comments on my older luker account Anime dazed.)

Yes, i am well aware that Crunchyroll's HQ is located in San Fransisco. I'm just saying, Expo coupled together with this in a year? Man must be nice.. I'm sure this will get a lot of big name guests just like Expo. Just a salty premium sub here. Again, FMLLLLLL
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Huh? First off, nobody but nobody is going to pay $200 for a ticket to an anime convention. Especially for a first-timer with no track record, Blizzcon started at $50 over a decade ago. Doubly especially considering how many other anime conventions there are to choose from.

Whether or not their plan will be SUCCESSFUL is a different question. I'm saying the press release explicitly notes that they are aiming for a different model from the "typical" anime convention. And all the examples that offered are more in that neighborhood for costs. The cheapest SXSW "tickets" go for around $800. A 3-Day pass to E3 is $1000. PAX is probably the cheapest at around $50 PER DAY and they usually sell out quickly. BlizzCon is as I mentioned.

If CrunchyExpo was looking to compete with other anime cons, I wouldn't expect them to use these other events as their benchmark. Further, ALL the events they named are nation-wide (if not "international") level events. Presumably CrunchyRoll is INTENDING to do better than "the bay area".
Quote:
Second off, setting aside your ludicrous assumptions about income, how can calculate profit without establishing the costs?

I established that an existing anime convention with attendance UNDER 5000 people occurred at the announced facility. I used that as a benchmark purely because I haven't negotiated with that facility and they don't post their costs. For comparison, I can tell you FOR A FACT that you could run a convention most anywhere (assuming appropriate facilities exist) for around 2000 people for under $50k. Holding the convention in a convention center INSTEAD of a hotel changes the math (because of cost increases) however, it also means you're ASSUMING certain minimums or else why get all that space?

So, IF another con was able to be held in that facility with LESS than 4000 people in attendance (fact, AOD announced around 2500 "unique" and around 3800 "turnstile" (aka, 1 weekend badge = 2 "turnstile" people) people in attendance), then it is safe to assume that CrunchyRoll could AFFORD to run the convention in the center with a minimum of 5000 people in attendance. Further, AOD had a registration rate of $40, meaning costs should EASILY fall within $40 x 5000 (let's just "assume" that AOD ran at a loss, but still is having a con this year, thus an extra 1000 people should've covered it), that's $200,000 in costs.

If CrunchyCon just DOUBLES the "admission price" (I was doing math purely as a function of headcount, not accounting for income/person) to $80 they now pull down $480,000 if they pull just 6k people. We established that the facility cost should EASILY fall within $200k based on AOD's history, which means a cool $280k for CR even at a more "reasonable" cost of admission. Let's assume they're gonna blow an extra $50k on guests, if you sell 150 vendor tables (Anime Expo has 400) at $300 a pop (for comparison ARTIST tables go for over $400 at Expo) you now have $45k extra, pull $5k off your previous profit, you're still pocketing $275k. Which is more than the $250k I presented before. If they actually do charge more in the $200 range like I previously suggested, you're talking closer to $1million in profit (before taxes).

But the main point is, IF they get attendance in line with expectations for the space they will make money, PERIOD. They are not building this with the intent to be "spending" money on the venture. I'm sure its seen as a promotional tool, but it is being built to MAKE money. The only question is if they're correct in their projections and ability to draw. If not, it will be a 1-time thing like the ill-fated French venture. And if it goes to plan they'll be profiting from it. (ie. if they do it "right" then it will NOT be taking financial resources from other parts of the company, if anything it will give them more money to invest in other sections)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
In other words, you don't have any actual numbers or experience or anything relevant... you're just hand waving around, confusing apples for oranges, and yelling at me in all caps to cover your lack and confusion.

Seriously, do you honestly not grasp the difference between an new anime con, one of the largest media events of the year, one of the largest entertainment/electronic events of the year, and a very specialized game conferences that's taken over ten years to build up to the point where they can charge premium prices?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
In other words, you don't have any actual numbers or experience or anything relevant...

I ran an anime convention for several years. I still talk to numerous convention organizers and I know numbers for space in my region. I don't have the Santa Clara specific numbers, but as I said, AOD ran there with a "best case" income figure (for attendees) of around $100k (2500 unique people (their reported number) at $40/head (their ticket price)) Although it is at a different place, AOD has a 2017 convention coming up. Let's ASSUME AOD ran at a loss in 2016. Do you think the people involved would run a 2017 event after eating a loss of over $100k? Do you think they COULD do so? That's why I'm comfortable with a figure of $200k on the high end for cost. As I said before, I know (from experience) that they could run under $50k in a hotel.
Quote:
Seriously, do you honestly not grasp the difference between an new anime con, one of the largest media events of the year, one of the largest entertainment/electronic events of the year, and a very specialized game conferences that's taken over ten years to build up to the point where they can charge premium prices?

Those events are the ones CrunchyRoll named. They are NOT examples I selected. If a guy starts a car company and says he's gonna make the next Ferrari type car, do you expect it to have a cost comparable to a Honda Civic?

Last edited by HeeroTX on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Depending on what perks CrunchyCon can offer, I'd pay $200. I used to pay more than that to attend Anime Expo as a Premier Fan, and even then, that didn't include access to attend all of AX's concerts. So, if CrunchyCon can offer me something exclusive, like a special dinner with the guests, then I would hand over $200 for that.

Only problem is that the timing is bad. It's one week after AnimeFest, so I'll probably have spent a stupid amount of money there.

@HeeroTX, AOD 2017 is in March this year. Last year, it was the weekend after Super Bowl...but date change this year.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
@HeeroTX, AOD 2017 is in March this year. Last year, it was the weekend after Super Bowl...but date change this year.

Thanks. I was focusing on the 2016 event and forgot that I was looking at that one when noting this year's date. Smile
godchun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
if they are the "largest online home for anime", then why not make an online anime convention instead of a real life one
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
godchun wrote:
if they are the "largest online home for anime", then why not make an online anime convention instead of a real life one

While this comment initially made me roll my eyes, that does bring up the very real possibility that Crunchyroll could record and post a ton of video from their Expo on their website. If they deliver on their promises awesome never-done-before content, there could be a lot of interesting panel and event videos that would be nice to watch online for those of us who won't be attending in person. I'd say it'd be silly for them to not use it as a platform for promoting future years of this Expo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5