• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mother-Daughter Pair Kikuko & Honoka Inoue Star in Pokémon Generations Episode

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorDJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
That's one awesome mother-daughter activity. Smile
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
It's only getting a Japanese dub NOW?

Either way, every time I think of a mother-daughter acting pair these days, all I can think of is Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher. I'll get over it eventually.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Generations was pretty much made for Western audiences. In Japan anything that isn't the main anime tends to get ignored. The Japanese dub seems like a minimum effort one considering it uses all the English logos and text and didn't bother making their own logo for it.

-Stuart Smith
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
Kikuko Inoue did some good amount of work in Diamond & Pearl. Her role as the over-the-top-Engrish-speaking Melissa/Fantina was really crazy, though.

Gemnist wrote:

Either way, every time I think of a mother-daughter acting pair these days, all I can think of is Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher. I'll get over it eventually.

The Japanese dub was released in unregular intervals, but I'm sure they have to be done beforehand or along with the English dub, or at least the Pokémon voices done by human actors. All Pokémon with human actors have the same Japanese actors.

----
Some of the seiyuus in Generations have played characters in the main anime, but none of them reprised their roles. Some were for obvious reasons, but there are still a few of them who don't reprise their roles, yet their characters appear in Generations anyway.
Fumiko Orikasa plays Pikachu and Kanna/Lorelei in Generations, but not Carne/Diantha like in the anime. Or Hiroki Tochi doesn't plays Achroma/Colress in Generations, yet he plays Fleur-de-lis/Lysandre (he sounds way better than his original voice, anyway).

There was also a notable change with Handsome/Looker's voice in Generations, as Keiji Fujiwara was hostipalized at some point.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma, at least with some of the 4kds Pokemon series, Tara Sands was Bulbasaur.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
Wasn't Kikuko Nurse Joy or something throughout the first couple of series?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Wasn't Kikuko Nurse Joy or something throughout the first couple of series?

She was a temporary fill in during a few episodes in 2007 while Yuriko Yamaguchi (who had taken over the role from Ayako Shiraishi in 2002 and continued as Joy until 2010) was on maternity leave.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:39 am Reply with quote
That "forever 17" joke also made its way to Japanese visual novels, but not necessarily being inspired by Inoue-san. The Infinity visual novel series (2000-2011) had 5 games. The 2nd was called Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. It had a remake in 2011.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1