• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Dragon Girls to Set Your Heart Aflame

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
New Poll: I voted for Nanoha Takamachi. Her unwavering friendliness makes chocolates from her so much tastier! Anime catgrin
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:18 am Reply with quote
The List wrote:
Dragon Half has a reputation that far proceeds it.

That should be "precedes".

Though given the show, the judges would also have accepted "exceeds". Wink
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Dragon Half when I caught it on Crunchyroll after it popped up there recently. I'm looking forward to the manga, which Seven Seas will be releasing this year in omnibus format because the OVA didn't tell the whole story.

Valentine's Day: I added 2 characters from My Love Story!! to the poll. I'd want to receive chocolates from Rinko Yamato, because she's a good friend and a sweetie, not to mention an incredible pastry chef! She'd definitely make something awesome! And I'd want to give chocolates to Suna (Makoto Sunakawa), because he's a bud who would appreciate the gesture, and would probably remember to return the favor on White Day without making awkward, weird assumptions about it being anything other than a platonic expression of friendship. Sorry, Takeo--I like you, too, but you'd make it weird. I'd hang out with all three of them, though!
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:12 am Reply with quote
I actually hate it when anime has to go and ruin dragons.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

You mean developing them into more than village burning, knight eating, treasure hoarders? Because having a different interpretation of a mythological being is now somehow "ruining" it? Perish the thought.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:
^And then there's Fredrica from Chaika - The Coffin Princess (from the author of Scrapped Princess) who is both a cat girl and a dragon girl.

Oh you mean best girl that felt like a glaring omission from the list but no accounting for taste I guess.

I've seen the entire series but, you know, sometimes it's hard to recall in the moment.

Scrapped Princess is criminally underrated series, so I'm okay with this.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I maybe misremembering, certainly as it was an inconsequential show, but wasn't the whole thing about Tear that she wasn't a Dragon, she just thought she was one due to her upbringing?

I think the author was counting D as being a Dragon. They are separate though. That said, in the LN spoiler[Tear and the other girls do become dragons so maybe that is why she was included in the article].

Joe Mello wrote:
Scrapped Princess is criminally underrated series, so I'm okay with this.

Is it? I hardly ever see anyone mention it that isn't praising it.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
New Poll: I voted for Nanoha Takamachi. Her unwavering friendliness makes chocolates from her so much tastier! Anime catgrin

But in order for that friendliness to count, she has to beat the ever loving crap out of you.

I must have weird tastes or something because every name I see and their show make me of someone else from the same show who'd be a better pick. Why have Yukino from Love SANFU give you chocolates plus her derision when you can get something from Yui Yuigahama? Minori instead of Taiga from Toradora, anyone from Kanon instead of Sayuri. Even Mahoro, the great Mahoro made me think of Minawa instead.

Yui, Mio and Azusa from K-On made me look for Ritsu... I even found Mugi under Tsumugi but no Ritsu... and as for Food Wars, Erina wasn't there but Megumi was. I know this is the exact opposite of the Love SNAFU dynamic but I find Yui and Erina to be a lot truer to their feelings while the other two are more phony, Saber and Illyia but no Rin? Miia made me look for Rachnera. Haruhi? Yuki.

Osaka. Ok, now I know you guys aren't even trying to take this seriously as the obvious answer is Yukari. Yes, the teacher.

Guess I'm out of touch with the whole waifu thing then. Even I'm shocked with that.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

You mean developing them into more than village burning, knight eating, treasure hoarders? Because having a different interpretation of a mythological being is now somehow "ruining" it? Perish the thought.

Depends on what cultures version of dragon you are referring to. You only reference the stereotypical European dragon and not the legendary ones that were considered honorable deities in eastern lore or even absolute sovereigns in northern lore and unstoppable forces of nature in southern lore. And there are not many anime that tend to do the majestic beings justice especially the ones that depict them as little girls or maids.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
And there are not many anime that tend to do the majestic beings justice especially the ones that depict them as little girls or maids.

Yes, because there's nothing more disrespectful in the world than being depicted as a female child. Rolling Eyes
Prince Gotonoke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
In cases like this I don't get angry at people who resort to piracy to watch shows like LWA, I don't think that's fair, I shift the blame solely to Netflix who could easily simulcast the shows instead of just sitting on them to fit with their pre-existent binge model.

Im not angry at people, but I think it is dumb people think Netflix holding off on the show is reason enough for piracy. Unless you are a person with a terminal illness, waiting till netflix puts it out is nothing but a minor inconvenience. It is just impatience that is being displayed. Now is it disappointing that netflix uses this instead of simulcasting? Yeah, for sure. But it isn't like that makes it right for piracy. Now I get why people do it if netflix isn't gonna have it in their region/country, or if they can't afford it just yet(I've been that poor before, so I get it), but not being able to wait? That's childish.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
Personally, I just want a manly classic style dragon like Carmine from Dragon Century or one of the many dragonewt/dragonian characters from the Shining series.

Or even my main anime crush, Duuz of Outlaw Star/Angel Links, who I want to give chocolates to (yes that was all me, I added him!). :D
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
And there are not many anime that tend to do the majestic beings justice especially the ones that depict them as little girls or maids.

Yes, because there's nothing more disrespectful in the world than being depicted as a female child. Rolling Eyes

I'm not saying against female children, however it is still an insult to a certain degree. When a professional athlete is compared to a little girl by the coach it would probably sting a little or when an experienced intellectual professor is treated as a kid. (not exactly the most intellectual age group around) of course they would be offended but it doesn't mean they have anything against little girls. Of course anime could have done worse but they haven't.(from what I've seen) So they are taking a powerful and wise creature from mythology and representing them in an opposite manner, you can call it creativity, originality, or what ever but I still find it annoying.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to Dragon Half. Gawd that OVA always has me cracking up all the time. And the funniest bit is the late Kaneto and his trained bee.

Never saw Luna Varga. Heard of it but never saw it.

If you go through the majority of Johji Manabe's work all he's ever drawn is dragonite women in strange relationships with either humans, dogs or bears.

Zeffris was a great character from Scrapped Princess. In fact the concept was pretty damn interesting.

Can't think of any dragon girl that will steal your heart. Well, if you hand out in the world of Dragonaut well there's plenty of boo...I mean "heart" going around.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Well, if you hand out in the world of Dragonaut well there's plenty of boo...I mean "heart" going around.

Too bad the breasts in Boobanaut the Ridonculous are some of the most disgusting sagging jelly tits anyone could ever lay witness to. The dragons were also lazy and blocky CG abominations. No respect for hand drawing mighty dragons anymore, grumble grumble.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4