• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese High School Kids Really Hang Out On The Roof/Wear Inside Shoes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scriver058

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
2 things that came to mind while reading this: it confirmed to me that uwabaki is real, as it was a term I heard in The Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift and was never sure of. Second and last, locking the door to the roof to avoid student suicides? I think the only manga/anime I've seen that might be true to this is Gantz, as one of the main characters in the beginning of the series is revealed to have killed himself via that very method if I recall correctly.
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
GTO had students threaten and actually jump off the roof.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
It's like the American stereotype of high schooler kids going out of campus to get food during lunch time. It doesn't actually happen all that much.

I'm sure it varies by school but leaving school for lunch is not that radical of a thing to do.

I'm a Canadian and kids, both when I went to school and currently, are let to go off campus all of the time to buy things for lunch or eat elsewhere; You just have to make sure you're back in time for class: I went to a country school with a cafeteria, a snack bar, vending machines, and kids still walked down the road to the convenience store; Nowadays, I see droves of city kids out and about at lunchtime whenever I'm in town.

I would imagine that schools that have real problems with wild kids are the ones forbidding students to leave campus but I see this more as an outlier than the norm.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:

I'm sure it varies by school but leaving school for lunch is not that radical of a thing to do.

What the heck; we were NEVER allowed to do that. O_____O

(I live in PA; that is absolutely unheard of.)
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm among those who thought the rooftop hangout was real! When I was in high school, the rooftop was open only to the astronomy club, who are of course are allowed to setup their telescopes there, and not even every day. I got a chance to take a peek at our rooftop once, and answerman has got it right. It's full of puddles, moss, and litter.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I also thought the rooftop hangout was real, but only because it's quite common in live action Japanese films as well. A lot of which are based on manga, which explains things.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
So no school idol concerts on the roof top then?

The roof thing was fake this whole time!? My life is a lie.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
GTO had students threaten and actually jump off the roof.
The Escaflowne movie also opened up with Hitomi on the roof top contemplating suicide.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, at the school I work at the stairs going higher than the forth floor are blocked off, and there is a sign saying do not enter. I've never even seen the roof.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
CCTakato wrote:
So no school idol concerts on the roof top then?

The roof thing was fake this whole time!? My life is a lie.

Lol don't worry; All that shrine stuff you see in anime IS spot-on. I almost freaked when I saw a giant tree wrapped in rope and talismans just like it came straight out of Inuyasha. Anime hyper

Also

MCDONALD'S IS THE UNIVERSAL SCHOOL KID HANGOUT.

I'm serious. They were everywhere. Anime hyper Pretty much all the food-related stuff is accurate, as well as the vending machines.

Aside from Denny's, they even have restaurants like Outback Steak House which surprised me, actually.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
CandisWhite wrote:

What the heck; we were NEVER allowed to do that. O_____O

(I live in PA; that is absolutely unheard of.)

We were allowed to leave campus during lunch, but only if we were over 18. Very few did though, because we were in the middle of nowhere, and there weren't many convenient places to go in 30 minutes.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:39 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
If only shoe lockers were actually, ya know, lockable. It'd take out a significant portion of the bullying we see in anime/manga, which often involves hiding, destroying, or tampering with a victim's school shoes or outside shoes.

Depends on the school. If the school is an older building and they haven't really done any work or renovations then you might have shoe spaces that are open just like my middle school was. In the case of my high school which had a recently constructed building, our lockers were right outside our classrooms and they actually were lockable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 am Reply with quote
In Britain having to stay at school over lunch tends to be the norm until your final two or three years in school sometimes then you can leave for lunch. Didn't stop younger kids from sneaking out I know the local pizza take away used to be full of them on lunch times. The older kids were not unknown for going to the pub either.

As for roof access I find the concept of even an accessible roof bizzare. Our top floors didn't have stairs or access to the roof because British buildings are just not built like that and I am not sure the roof would take the weight of people walking about on it well. Only beings you see on our roofs are seagulls and pigeons.
masat01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:10 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Granted, when I was in Osaka I went to a language school where most of the students were well above high school age and not a normal Japanese school, but we did have a nagashi-sōmen party on the roof once. Pretty sure that it was only unlocked for such special occasions though. And yes, it did have those fences around it.

Kansai College?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
@masat01 Nope, the Osaka YMCA Japanese Language School.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4