• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Pleads Guilty to Coercing Girl He Met at Anime Con

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I would never do such a thing at any age, not even with the cutest lady out there. Why would he? Why would she? The simple answer is because they were both willing to have sexual relations. This isn't bizarro logic, this isn't difficult reasoning. This is common sense.

Well, the whole reasoning behind statutory rape law is that teenagers (and especially younger) don't really have much "sense" let alone whatever "common" sense is supposed to be.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I would never do such a thing at any age, not even with the cutest lady out there. Why would he?

Because he is a sick rapist predator. I presume you are not. This is what they do.

Quote:

Why would she? The simple answer is because they were both willing to have sexual relations. This isn't bizarro logic, this isn't difficult reasoning. This is common sense.

It isn't common sense if you understand the law, why the law exists, or anything at all about sexual predators.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
*must resist urge to comment on controversial shitstorm*

Oops, I caved.

First off, we're not talking about 8yr olds, this is a teenager. And believe it or not, some teenagers WANT to have sex with adults. (They shouldn't, of course.) Of course, my guess is he convinced her that he was a teenager. Of course, if she did know he was older, then reporting him after she found out about his status doesn't make any sense. So it seems more like she was duped, not coerced.

But no, she's not a slut and no, she doesn't deserve to go to jail or anything like that. (Though it would have been ironic if she has sent him a nude pic, then gotten into some legal trouble over that.) However, she does need to learn some common sense and responsibility. I hope her parents monitor her a little more closely from now on. And no more going to anime conventions without adult supervision!
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It isn't common sense if you understand the law, why the law exists, or anything at all about sexual predators.

As an addendum to my previous post, the reason statutory rape is a crime isn't because of any semantics involving arbitrary numbers but because of the very real abuse that occurs from older individuals taking advantage of the naivete that is part and parcel of youth. Whatever error in judgement that might have taken place on her part does not excuse the man's actions. She might not have known any better, but he sure as hell did.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
dizzywulf wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
(see the Duke lacrosse case for reasons to why you shouldn't always assume the woman is innocent)

What reality do you live in where everyone always assumes the woman is innocent?
It's always: What was she wearing? How much make-up did she have on? Has she ever had a boyfriend before? How hard did she fight back? Well she shouldn't have been: at that party/drinking/ drinking that much/walking in that area/out at night/out during the day/ by herself/ with those friends/on a date/such a slut/in such a crowded area/ in such an isolated area/wearing those shoes/
Because everyone knows that guys can't control themselves and doing any of the above means that she probably wanted to seduce him and she's just saying rape because she doesn't want to be labeled the slut she is and she wanted to ruin him.
That is what society says.

Isn't it evident from this very thread that many people think that the girl shared some part of the blame?

She doesn't. She is a victim. The only one at fault is the rapist.

Misogyny runs very deep in this culture.

I wish I lived in your imaginary reality.

It's evident from this thread that most people think that the girl shared no responsibly what so ever. And no one has said that she deserved what she got. It's horrible what happened to her, but personally, I think its a bit misogynistic to treat females like they're incapable of being anything other than innocent little lambs that just sit around waiting to be preyed upon and unable of doing anything about it. She DID choose to be with him, her friends covered for her to go be with him. I find it strange that people are debating that fact. Now then, at 13 she doesn't really know what she wants, and she was being mind-frakked by the guy so again, its not her fault and THAT can be debated. But at the same time, in her messed up little adolescence mind she was choosing. She's not 4, she might not be fully capable yet but she's not brain dead either. To say this is on par with a man drugging, kidnapping and violently raping a girl is belittling to non-consenting statutory rape. Nobody's defending the pervert and nobody's saying she wasn't a victim, its just to what extent you're going to victimize her.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This thread makes me sad.

I couldn't agree more. This thread also makes me sad. Sad

I only hope for the best for this young lady. I also hope she has a good support system with her family and friends to help her get through this ordeal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Maur

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Strawberryelle wrote:
It's evident from this thread that most people think that the girl shared no responsibly what so ever. And no one has said that she deserved what she got. It's horrible what happened to her, but personally, I think its a bit misogynistic to treat females like they're incapable of being anything other than innocent little lambs that just sit around waiting to be preyed upon and unable of doing anything about it. She DID choose to be with him, her friends covered for her to go be with him. I find it strange that people are debating that fact. Now then, at 13 she doesn't really know what she wants, and she was being mind-frakked by the guy so again, its not her fault and THAT can be debated. But at the same time, in her messed up little adolescence mind she was choosing. She's not 4, she might not be fully capable yet but she's not brain dead either. To say this is on par with a man drugging, kidnapping and violently raping a girl is belittling to non-consenting statutory rape. Nobody's defending the pervert and nobody's saying she wasn't a victim, its just to what extent you're going to victimize her.

I don't understand your arguement. If you acknowledge that at 13 she doesn't know what she wants and it's not her fault then it should follow that the choice she made was clearly an uninformed one.

Non-consenting statutory rape is otherwise known as regular rape. What makes it statutory are the statutes, namely the taking advantage of people under a certain age. Meaning that even if they "consent" they have no idea what they are consenting to. Think of it like the EULA. It's understood that no one REALLY reads the EULA so that even if a corporation claims you "consented" to giving up your kidneys and firstborn by agreeing to the EULA that would never hold up in court.

This is the same thing. It's very easy to trick a dumb youth into going along with whatever, and THAT is the crime.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Maur wrote:
Strawberryelle wrote:

I don't understand your arguement. If you acknowledge that at 13 she doesn't know what she wants and it's not her fault then it should follow that the choice she made was clearly an uninformed one.

Non-consenting statutory rape is otherwise known as regular rape. What makes it statutory are the statutes, namely the taking advantage of people under a certain age. Meaning that even if they "consent" they have no idea what they are consenting to. Think of it like the EULA. It's understood that no one REALLY reads the EULA so that even if a corporation claims you "consented" to giving up your kidneys and firstborn by agreeing to the EULA that would never hold up in court.

This is the same thing. It's very easy to trick a dumb youth into going along with whatever, and THAT is the crime.

People that are drunk aren't capable of making good desicions either, but it doesn't stop us from throwing their ass in jail if they get in a car. They're still expected to know better despite their mental impairment. Saying you were uncapable of making a logical decision at the time isnt a reason, its an excuse.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Why are some of you people are so intent upon establishing a degree of culpability for the girl? Nine year old Thai mothers? Drunk drivers?!? Seriously? Why?

I know my question's tinged with some pretty severe indignity, but I sincerely can't understand the motives behind some of what I'm reading. I think that the girl will suffer distress and confusion enough from the events themselves to make any blame gratuitous.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I was under the impression that by 13, most kids (of both sexes) have already been warned (probably repeatedly) of the dangers of getting involved with older people in any sort of sexual way, whether in person or online. Most schools teach this, right? And so do most parents.

Don't get into a stranger's car. Don't talk to strangers. Be careful with whom you talk to online and never give out any personal information about yourself. These sorts of things are there to prevent the ball from even starting to roll. Kids are told this so that they don't *get into* the position of having chats with creepy old guys who will say anything that will get them what they want.

Now I don't know what this particular girl had been told beforehand by parents, teachers, siblings, or Officer Friendly, but it's hard to believe that none of this had been told to her.

Finally, I don't get how if I point out that someone made some bad decisions that I'm somehow defending a sicko who took advantage of those bad decisions. If I blame someone for leaving their car unlocked (the bad decision) and then having it stolen (the result), does that mean that I'm defending car thieves? I don't think so.

We all make mistakes in life. God knows I've made a crazy huge number of them. But IMO it's important to recognize your mistake, determine what you did wrong, and then make sure not to do it again.

I'm glad nothing worse happened to her. There are some really heartless people in the world.
haldenlith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Since I was the first, if I remember right, to bring up this opinion, this side of the discussion, I think I should have the right to point a few reasonings out. And, just to throw some cents in, last I checked, this was a forum. Forums are for discussion, no matter who agrees or disagrees. I'm sorry if those of us with a darker view on things are "scum" or what have you, but that's our opinion and take on the matter. That's just how it goes.

Now, for my reasoning:

When I went to school, thirteen year olds had the mental capacity to seduce teachers to get preferential treatment, and did so. These days, I've seen girls purposefully seek out older men thanks to the statutory rape law. "He'll be in the palm of my hand once we've done it." I'm dead serious. The girls I've known that actually have been coerced usually don't go back for seconds. With all of this in mind, and reading the information that has been given, I myself still feel that there is more to this, and that the girl, and her parents, share a bit of the blame. Is the dude innocent? No. He's a dumbass for committing the act again.

That's my deduction. Past that, Tuor has pretty much said it for me. We make mistakes, we learn. Good to know she's okay.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Why are some of you people are so intent upon establishing a degree of culpability for the girl? Nine year old Thai mothers? Drunk drivers?!? Seriously? Why?

I know my question's tinged with some pretty severe indignity, but I sincerely can't understand the motives behind some of what I'm reading.

Speaking for myself, I suppose it's because I tend to look at most situations from an intellectual point of view rather than an emotional one. When something terrible happens, my first thoughts are almost never, "Gosh! Was anyone hurt? I hope they're alright!" Instead, I focus on what happened, why it happened, who was involved, what did they do? That sort of thing.

It's hard to explain it any better than that without going off on a long spiel that I doubt anyone wants to read about.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

This.

I can't believe some of the things you people are saying. What the hell is the matter with you lot?

The fact that this man went out his way to hunting underage girls to sleep with goes to show that he is ****ed in the head and is a menace to society. Since this is not his first offense they should just lock him up and throw away the key.

For those of you who say the girl wanted it, or is a slut, that does not excuse the fact that a GROWN man has taken advantage of a UNDERAGE girl when he, as an adult, should know how wrong it is, and how illegal it is, to be messing with pre-teen girls. It is disgusting regardless of the girl wanting it or not and I, personally, would not want this creep roaming around my neighborhood freely if I had children.

In regards to the girl's parents: Parents, in general, cannot protect their kids 24/7. When kids hit the teenage rebellious stage it only makes it harder on the parents to keep their kids safe. I can say this as I have done stupid shit when I was a kid, like most people have, and what my parents would do is punish/ground me for my actions. They also gave me long long lectures on why the thing(s) I did were wrong. I've made mistakes, I paid the consequences for my actions, and learned to never do them again.

We've all done stupid things when we were kids/teens, yet saying its her fault that this dope took advantage of her is low. How would you feel if something like this happened to you and people pointed the finger at you while calling you a slut/man-whore/etc? If this girl was your daughter would you honestly say those horrible things to her face? If yes, I really hope that you never have kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryand-Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
For some reason I was under the impression that by 13, most kids (of both sexes) have already been warned (probably repeatedly) of the dangers of getting involved with older people in any sort of sexual way, whether in person or online. Most schools teach this, right? And so do most parents.

Don't get into a stranger's car. Don't talk to strangers. Be careful with whom you talk to online and never give out any personal information about yourself. These sorts of things are there to prevent the ball from even starting to roll. Kids are told this so that they don't *get into* the position of having chats with creepy old guys who will say anything that will get them what they want.

Now I don't know what this particular girl had been told beforehand by parents, teachers, siblings, or Officer Friendly, but it's hard to believe that none of this had been told to her.

Finally, I don't get how if I point out that someone made some bad decisions that I'm somehow defending a sicko who took advantage of those bad decisions. If I blame someone for leaving their car unlocked (the bad decision) and then having it stolen (the result), does that mean that I'm defending car thieves? I don't think so.

We all make mistakes in life. God knows I've made a crazy huge number of them. But IMO it's important to recognize your mistake, determine what you did wrong, and then make sure not to do it again.

I'm glad nothing worse happened to her. There are some really heartless people in the world.

A good way of putting it is like how my command's SAPR (Sexual Assault Response Coordinator) put it.

"You shouldn't go to parties with free flowing drinks"
"You shouldn't go away with people you don't know"
"You should always watch your drink [to make sure it isn't spiked]"
"HOWEVER there is no excuse for rapists, no 'she/he was asking for it', no 'they were a slut/stupid'. They are a victim, and any implying that the victim was some sort of bad person is the worst sort of activity."

This is why people are jumping down the throats of the victim blamers. Yes we ideally should make good choices, but there is no excuse for the evil people who do terrible things to innocent victims.

haldenlith wrote:
When I went to school, thirteen year olds had the mental capacity to seduce teachers to get preferential treatment, and did so. These days, I've seen girls purposefully seek out older men thanks to the statutory rape law.

This is where people need to be stronger. As a grown adult, you should NEVER ever place yourself in a situation like that. Why would you even look at your students in that sort of way. I find it funny though, the statutory rape justification is quite similar to the justification behind article 134, the Fraternization part. They both involve unduly familiar relationships between juniors and seniors and I'm reasonably sure that that relationship between a teacher and a student would be ... highly suspect.

Ugh. I'm just trying to explain why everyone else is pointing out why you are ... well why your opinions are not with the mainstream view of things.
Strawberryelle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Zac wrote:

This.

I can't believe some of the things you people are saying. What the hell is the matter with you lot?

The fact that this man went out his way to hunting underage girls to sleep with goes to show that he is ****ed in the head and is a menace to society. Since this is not his first offense they should just lock him up and throw away the key.

For those of you who say the girl wanted it, or is a slut, that does not excuse the fact that a GROWN man has taken advantage of a UNDERAGE girl when he, as an adult, should know how wrong it is, and how illegal it is, to be messing with pre-teen girls. It is disgusting regardless of the girl wanting it or not and I, personally, would not want this creep roaming around my neighborhood freely if I had children.

In regards to the girl's parents: Parents, in general, cannot protect their kids 24/7. When kids hit the teenage rebellious stage it only makes it harder on the parents to keep their kids safe. I can say this as I have done stupid shit when I was a kid, like most people have, and what my parents would do is punish/ground me for my actions. They also gave me long long lectures on why the thing(s) I did were wrong. I made mistakes, I paid the consequences for my actions, and learned to never do them again.

We've all done stupid things when we were kids/teens, yet saying its her fault that this dope took advantage of her is low. How would you feel if something like this happened to you and people pointed the finger at you while calling you a slut/man-whore/etc? If this girl was your daughter would you honestly say those horrible things to her face? If yes, I really hope that you never have kids.

Who here has said anything in defense of the pervert?
I never said she deserved it, asked for it, was a slut, etc. and i'm not going to go back and count but I don't recall a whole lot of other people saying she was or to blame either.
The only point thats been made is that not everything in the world is black and white and sometimes some critical thinking is necessary. Something of which it seems many people lack the ability of doing unfortunately.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13