• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are Anime Music Videos A Dying Art?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:13 am Reply with quote
RadicalYue wrote:
http://amvnews.ru/ fits your definition with the only issue being that it's in Russian Very Happy
But seriously, don't let that stop you from checking it out. They do have an English interface you can activate and google translate does the trick for the most part.

Will do. Language barrier isn't really an issue, else I wouldn't be watching Chinese cartoons, so thanks. (Viruses,.. the last one I got was on a floppy disk and I'm running an outdated browser since at least 2010.)

From their registration wrote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material

Well, this sucks. What's even the point if you can't share/watch pom-AMVs?
RadicalYue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

From their registration wrote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material

Well, this sucks. What's even the point if you can't share/watch pom-AMVs?

lol, that's just what YOU agree to post. There are a fair amount of bouncing boobs and some "classic" HMVs on there.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
If I'm registering, of course I would want to upload my own AMVs, too. That's the point, isn't it?
RadicalYue

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
If I'm registering, of course I would want to upload my own AMVs, too. That's the point, isn't it?

Well, posting in regards to text based. Not AMV based. They take HMVs.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
They do? Excellent. Then I'll explore that site more. Next week.
xstylus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
RadicalYue wrote:
...AMVs have come a very, very long way. It's one of the reasons it pains me so greatly that this article basically consisted of "Are AMVs dying? My friend says that because there aren't enough comedy videos things are bad. The End."

That's not what the article meant to say, and certainly not at all what I had written to Justin. He did have to shorten and re-parse it for brevity which I don't fault him for, but perhaps the point might have gotten minced a bit.

You and I agree that, basically, AMVs are thriving. Massively so. The community has splintered a bit, but that's healthy and can partly be attributed to how the community continues to grow. It's too large and varied for one place.

I do stand by my opinion that -- for fans who don't live and breathe AMVs like you and I -- comedy videos are the primary barometer of AMV community health to them. You and I both know that's total BS, but again, we're talking laypeople here.

And indeed, there have been fewer AMVs that have gone viral enough to escape beyond the AMV community echo chambers the past couple years (as in the past two years, which I cynically think for some fans is like two decades), which may have given the reader an incorrect perception that the fad is fizzling out. My suggestion was for the reader to dig a bit deeper and look into some of those thriving AMV communities directly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
RadicalYue wrote:

Well, typically it's something along the lines of...
Editor A is part of A-M-V.org. They don't like the people there and determine that everyone on the site is terrible because of it. They leave for YouTube.
Editor B is on YouTube and feels that A-M-V.org is too elitist because the editors there don't shower them with praise. But they don't like how YouTube takes down their videos all the time so they move to DailyMotion/Vimeo.
Editor C is from AMVNews.ru and the don't speak English. They stay there and only create AMVs that are shared there. Editors D and E like C's videos but don't know how to properly interact due to the language barrier so they never get involved whatsoever.

A small taste of the many, many examples I've seen.

Heh, I see. People in AMV creation and AMV viewing are quick to leave elsewhere that they feel suits them better. What happens if no place is good enough for them? Do they start their own communities? (Here's a point of divergence between AMV fans and pinball fans: In pinball, there are only two major communities--Pinside and Tilt Forums--but they remain obscure despite collaborated efforts because 1) they have no idea how to reach out beyond their niche on a large scale, and 2) they don't realize not everyone can drop $5000 like it's no big deal.)

RadicalYue wrote:
Most contests/conventions will still consider it to be an AMV if the original animation is styled after popular anime characters or if the video is still edited like an AMV.
Examples...
Fully hand-drawn, stills of characters from Full Metal Alchemist edited in the style of an AMV. Therefore it's accepted as an AMV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4O9-04HbM
A custom story where characters have been "cut out" from their respective shows to create a new narrative. This style is called a crossover and is a well known type of AMV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9e_WIoJJnI
When certain scenes don't exist, the editor has actually drawn them to fill in the gaps. The majority is a rather standard crossover though. Still 100% considered an AMV with just loads of custom work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6IL_YVNBDQ
This video is 100% custom 3D animation but the characters created are in the style of your normal anime characters that you'd see. The video, in the way that it is synced and stylized is standard for an AMV so while it is more in the realm of professional work, it can still be considered an AMV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA5lSZVNmQY

Where the line is typically drawn in regards to original animation is how the editing is done and whether the music simply acts as a background track that has no effect on the video as a whole. If it's simply a short film in anime style that ignores the music, pace, etc. in favor of narrative then it's more than likely not going to be considered an AMV.
Of course there will be some that disagree with me on certain points made, this is what the majority would more than likely echo.

Thanks for the clarification. I saw a lot of videos back in the day on Newgrounds that were essentially AMVs in spirit, except they drew and animated everything from scratch and put it to music. How well the music was integrated varied dramatically though. I always appreciated the effort, as most of them were spot-on in their character design and general art style, even if they were limited by what Flash could do. (Obviously, because it was Flash, they weren't trying to pass it off as existing footage. Everyone knew it was original animation.)

Needless to say, looking at these, they've evolved heavily in that aspect too. Video editing has evolved tremendously in the intervening time too though, so there's less of a reason to create new animation from scratch. The third one, in particular, is impressive because the original animation is indistinguishable from the reappropriated footage.

RadicalYue wrote:
This.
Honestly, titling your video with just the name of the song is considered rather unoriginal and doesn't help your AMV stand out. A video called "Warriors" is going to get lost in the crowd of the thousands of others with the same title and potentially the same song. It doesn't mean it's not a popular naming scheme but it's incredibly boring and uninspired.
Titling your video something original has nothing to do with "hiding from copyright", it's simply yet another way to be creative and stand out.

Reminds me of my time with Super Mario Maker. Considering there were so many one-word names for courses that weren't painfully obvious (like "Mario" or "Level") and such, to where drinking games have been made out of it, I think it stems from a general lack of thought into the title. Those stages tend to be pretty bad, though I don't know enough about AMVs to know if that's true for them too.

Though I suppose the equivalent would be an AMV simply called "AMV" or "Footage" without any joke accompanying it, which I take is extremely rare to nonexistent.

xstylus wrote:
I do stand by my opinion that -- for fans who don't live and breathe AMVs like you and I -- comedy videos are the primary barometer of AMV community health to them. You and I both know that's total BS, but again, we're talking laypeople here.

Not even that...Unless you mean AMV fans who aren't superfans. I'm not an AMV person and I don't really see AMVs unless it's placed in front of me, and I can say that, outside of conventions, I don't see any discussions of AMVs at all when I get into anime-related discussions. But that might just be my own perception, colored by how everyone I know who is an anime fan has no interest in AMVs and wouldn't have a reason to talk about them aside from a "Remember the 90's/early 00's?" topic.
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
And indeed, there have been fewer AMVs that have gone viral enough to escape beyond the AMV community echo chambers the past couple years (as in the past two years, which I cynically think for some fans is like two decades), which may have given the reader an incorrect perception that the fad is fizzling out.

I, too, had that perception. The last noteworthy AMV I saw was, before the topic came up here, from 2006. I assumed AMV making died somewhere around 2007. Together with the great site YouTube used to be before Google bought it in late 2006.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7