• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eromanga-sensei (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

You're freaking wrong and you have no proof otherwise. Girls at age 12 do not obsess over male genitalia. A lot of them haven't even hit puberty yet.

How do I know? Because I was a twelve-year-old girl and I was friends with many other twelve-year-old girls and none of them behaved that way.

You were so pure, but you definitely don't have any idea what the internet boom and our current society have made girls younger than that behave.
Sure, they don't talk about it openly like that usually, if not as a joke, but they think about it for sure.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I think there's a difference between joking about sex organs in a group and saying to a complete stranger that you love penises even if it's a joke. Maybe I could buy it as a joke in a way like if she heard it somewhere but had no idea what she was talking about but then she goes on to flirt with that dude. That's just.. no way. Particularly since she is dealing with an older boy. Of course I don't remember how 12 year old girls acted when I was 12 just over 12 years ago.

Still, I have a hard time believing that a 12 year old could act that way in front of a stranger.

Last edited by Cam0 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, I have a hard time believing that a 12 year old could act that way in front of a stranger.

The issue is that 2 episodes in and we don't if this is Slice of life anime land, or complete bonkers parody show land.
The tone and art style lean closer to the usual slice of life scenario, yet clearly the joke from the girl would not be out of place from say Seitokai Yakuindomo where it is a cast full of (Highschool age) girls spitting out comments on sexuality and what not way too casually and it would not have been out of place for a little sister character in that series to pick up on such a habit, however the audience expectation is likely not that for Ero-Sen (yet) even though clearly the show is trying to press buttons with an imouto-con.

What we have is a case of tonal dissonance, which in itself MIGHT be the joke Ero-sen was going for (I have alluded to this in a previous post) this is literally what the series Love Tyrant is doing with concepts of "normal people don't act this way" however Love Tyrant punches up every joke so the audience knows the narrative isn't meant to be taken straight.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:

I'm sure you know how compensated dating works. There are plenty of reports of girls that young doing that.

Anyways, what Megumi was doing was extremely calculated. She needed to throw Masamune off his game and make him easier to manipulated. Such tactics are super effective, particularly on teenaged boys.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
Personally, I think there's a difference between joking about sex organs in a group and saying to a complete stranger that you love penises even if it's a joke.

Yup, there certainly is. I found it pretty absurd. I know Megumi's only purpose is to make both of the main characters squirm uncomfortably ("because it's funny!! LOL!!") but I think they could have written her more realistically. You can make a character funny without making her vulgar. The supporting cast of Oreimo were great characters without being vulgar.

Vaisaga wrote:
There are plenty of reports of girls that young doing that.

Source or it didn't happen.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you know how compensated dating works. There are plenty of reports of girls that young doing that.

Chiibi wrote:
Quote:
Source or it didn't happen.

Actually don't bother. Compensated dating is simply amateur prostitution. Very young girls have been shown involved in prostitution throughout the ages. Regardless if it is the result of poverty, greed, amorality or terminal naivety it doesn't support your argument. Prostitution has very real hazards and evils. Even the voluntary involvement in this does not show that a 12 year old is emotionally mature enough to engage in a healthy sexual relationship.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
But it does show they're smart enough to know they can easily manipulate men with their bodies for easy money. Yes I know that's not the case for all these girls, but with Megumi in particular she acted the way she did for manipulation purposes. Learning that is a simple matter. "Hey, I got special treatment when I pretended to cry/looked at him with puppy dog eyes/smiled cutely at that guy. I wonder if it'll work on others?"

Really, this "kids are stupid" mindset has got to go.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
I might go to try and define what we know about her character so far: She is a personality that would try and make her entire age group her friends, she believes more physical human connections are more important than something over electronics, and she is willing to put herself in a position of responsibility as a class president. These three things seem decent hallmarks for her character basics of her character that are not too extreme for her age.

To look how she might go about this, she does things and notes he is an otaku and says that she too is likes manga too, a way to connect with him, and says that she likes One Piece. As our main character points out it is probably one of the most popular manga that an otaku of his level can see does not at all show that she actually has a connection within that broad media. It would be like someone saying they are a gamer and then the person saying they are too and picked the most popular game which would probably be some sort of mobile game. I think shows that she might try to be everything for everybody so she could be everybody's friend, and she might do her research.

Under this she probably knows well that the girl she wants to return to school is a shut in who lives with her 15 year old step-brother. It is a bit absurdist but in light I think that it was calculated that this girl who is aware that she is pretty and is trying to get past the defences of this boy in puberty (15) by using perverse words that she play off as jokes. It might really not be that this preteen who is experienced with getting her age group to be friends at an age that some may be getting a bit curious in things, might think she can get the favour of some boy at that age by saying things she has no business in saying. It would be like saying that her character is a victim of a type of fanservice, but her character is actually about fanservice because rather than friends I think that it might be actually fans that she wants. Modern societies as it have kids wearing things not suitable for kids, but they do it because "it is hot", which is that it is popular, but maybe along the lines of Japan that uniformity of clothes and perhaps does not want the negative attention from adults for altering her outfit, she could act out like this.

She may not be too diferent from say Kanako from Oreimo, who can act cute, but only to the point it can get her something and can turn it off like a switch showing instead her kind of selfishness when not worth it. So far she has kind of been placed like Ayase who had good intentions for her friend and being kind of genuine if somewhat crazy, but she may be more selfish than that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you want to maintain the whole "all children are innocent thing" perhaps you could look at it as Megumi believing that everyone likes a more mature girl and so to come across as mature she uses "adult" language and mannerisms. "I know a grown up word and that makes me a grown up!" is certainly a mindset kids adopt.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
^That is also how I'm looking at it. Perhaps she was influenced by an older woman to act that way.

Does the novel give a backstory for her...or is she just there for lulz?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I've read the first 4 novels and no, there's been nothing substantial. She doesn't have that much screentime in the first place.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I'm starting to like this Elf girl. I only now noticed that she actually has elf ears. She seems like the kind of person who doesn't have any friends and I think she really wants to be friends (or more) with Masamune because of that. She was waiting for Masamune and was delighted to see him. I actually find her to be really cute. Maybe we should ditch Sagiri and embrace Elf as our new heroine? *large amounts of booing*.. What?

Sagiri acting really jealous after seeing Masamune interact with Elf felt too strong of a reaction from her. She isn't that close with Masamune, yet. Like I get that she probably does care about Masamune but is simply too shy to show it but still.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I started to like Elf too during this episode. Her hobby of playing the piano nekkid was really funny and sounds like something out of a gothic novel.....or something. Anime hyper Lol @ Masamune pulling his pants down at her. Anime hyper

And she's right about writing better stories if you are motivated to do it, verses "doing it because you have to."
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if I had to bestow the title of "best girl" onto some one, it would probably be Elf.

I imagine this sort of talk regarding differing work ethic and the creative processes are what people wanted out of this show.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
With a little more time established, unfortunately I cannot get my mind away on the nature that Elf is effectively the Kuroneko counterpart, while the relationship dynamic between the siblings and Elf is noticeably different (so far) from Oreimo it is very obvious her role as an additional otaku surrogate is blatant.

As for the class mates coming by to cheer Amaterasu-manga sensei out of her "cave" and back into the classroom, this viewer found it eye roll worthy in place of endearing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 13