• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Characters Have Cameo Appearances In Other Anime Anymore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svines85

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I thought this was an odd, fluffy kind of question, but what a great answer, I had no idea. So there really is a difference, and it's the result of the evolution of the industry then, eh?

Yup, very interesting and informative, thanks a lot Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Including a drawn character representing someone from a live-action television show like Austin "Chumlee" Russell usually isn't an issue. First, the celebrity involved would have had to trademark his or her visage. Even in that case, the rights of the illustrator may be judged to take precedence. Tiger Woods's management company tried to stop an artist from releasing limited edition prints of Woods's first victory at the Masters, but the golfer lost in court. On the other hand, the concept of "dilution" of a trademark restricts people from using celebrities' visages in ways that might injure their public image. For a good overview of American law on this subject, see https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-268.aspx.

Well, you have publications like MAD Magazine and series like Animaniacs that would freely use celebrities left and right and they never got in trouble over it. I always figured that if they're drawn caricatures, as long as they're never mentioned by their full names, they could feign ignorance in court and claim that it was coincidence. The link you have says Frank Sinatra claimed his likeness back in 1935, for instance, but he appeared all the time in Looney Tunes.

I'd imagine the one person most threatened with dilution would've been Elvis Presley (and one can argue it did happen). I heard about how the Presley estate had, erm, trademarked his name and likeness, I think, but you still have stuff where the name "Elvis" is used without an appearance, or an Elvis impersonator appears onscreen without calling him as such, like that State Farm insurance commercial with the group of Elvis impersonators in Las Vegas.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'd imagine the one person most threatened with dilution would've been Elvis Presley (and one can argue it did happen). I heard about how the Presley estate had, erm, trademarked his name and likeness, I think, but you still have stuff where the name "Elvis" is used without an appearance, or an Elvis impersonator appears onscreen without calling him as such, like that State Farm insurance commercial with the group of Elvis impersonators in Las Vegas.

Back in the late 80's-early 90's, Woody Allen once sued after a video company used a celebrity lookalike in their ads (was it just the unfair use, or was it just the insulting suggestion that Woody would use a, gasp, VCR for classic movies??)
The resulting court victory decided that US celebrities--and their estates, like John Wayne, Marilyn and the Stooges--can license/copyright their images for marketing use, outside of whatever clearly constitutes Fair Use parody.

Leaving aside the Elvis-impersonator industry, that pretty well crushed the celebrity-lookalike business to just political figures (who were public figures and couldn't be copyrighted), and other "tributes", like stage imitations of the Marx Brothers, became too much legal hassle to continue with.
And that's just US licenses, with nowhere near the dragon-hoard guarding that Japanese licensors wield.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The pilot to Osomatsu-san was already mentioned, and it fully proved that that messing around can lead to disaster, but cameos aren´t completely dead. The sanctioned ones that is. DRR had works from the studio and original publisher advertised in the background for example.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
0nsen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:

What ep is that from? There's also supposedly a Miss Monochrome cameo in ep1 or 2 of Golden Time, but I've never been able to spot it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:09 am Reply with quote
Articles 9-10bis of the Berne Convention addresses (in the obvious broad legalese) what is akin to fair use. Some problems with these are how they are interpreted and that there are different different country standards on measuring copyright exception.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
MiloTheFirst wrote:
Just this season. On the first couple episodes of akiba strip figurines depicting characters from sore ga seiyuu appeared on screen.

It is because both are made by same studio, Gonzo. Fair usage of cameo there.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
No Game No Life mentioned a fair few shows in the Fox Girl battle, and that was like.. 2 years ago?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
0nsen wrote:

What ep is that from?

Nana appears in Golden Time multiple times. She's Banri's neighbour. The screencap seems to be from episode 4, timestamp around 15:24.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Lucky Star itself had plenty of gags referring to other anime, though all the Haruhi Suzumiya stuff was intra-studio and the non-KyoAni anime theme songs sung during the end credits obviously had to have been licensed.

I think you mean non-Kadokawa (or specifically in terms of the music Lantis); Kyoani own neither property.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I always thought this one was pretty sneaky:

I'll leave for others to work what it's from. The series itself was full parodies and references, but this one was the most blatant.

I featured it in a picture quiz I did a few years back:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2962862/2012Quiz/quiz3.jpg

The rest of them have links through the author or production team, so aren't as exceptional. 24 isn't even a cameo really, either.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
At least give the answer in a spoiler tag or something...It looks like something I wouldn't recognize even if I read the answer.
0nsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:

That's not sneaky, that's pretty blatant. (And it's from Hayate no Gotoku.) This is sneaky. Easily missed because of the contrast.

It's from the first episode of Ef: A Tale of Memories (Shaft).
consignia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
consignia wrote:

That's not sneaky, that's pretty blatant

I didn't mean sneaky as hidden in the background, I meant it was a more a cheeky flouncing of the sort of copyright rules. The rest of the series does loads of obscuring of it's various references, but this one was done in the exact same art style, and with the same voice actress for the character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5