• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai's Home Video Release of Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Won't Include English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is stupid. I might keep my pre-order for the first volume, but with no English subtitles I cannot buy the rest of the volumes. I do not have an emotional attachment to the material being covered in 2022 because I only watched the original 1974 series, but I was willing to support the project.

The $300 that Bandai Visual does not want from me will be happily spent with other anime companies.
mrploddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
The article says the movie is currently streaming for a fee (I assume unsubbed?). But I can't find any information about where it is streaming.

Amazon.co.jp / Rakuten showtime to name but 2...

However Rakuten at least has geoip locks..
lemurs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
It seems obvious that they realized putting English subs on the Japanese release of 2199 wound up undercutting their own licensee. I, for one, wasn't about to stop importing the volumes in favor of Voyager's (which was also relatively expensive and sub-only). Perhaps 2202's domestic release will be less of a disaster.
Reuben Painter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:08 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
The article says the movie is currently streaming for a fee (I assume unsubbed?). But I can't find any information about where it is streaming.

I've been looking for it as well. Following on a previous comment, you should beable to buy it digitally here: https://www.amazon.co.jp/宇宙戦艦ヤマト2202-愛の戦士たち-第一章-小野大輔/dp/B01NCLGBJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1488080930&sr=8-2&keywords=ヤマト2202

(Japanese characters create weird urls -_-)
Ill purchase it and get back to you weather it works or not, it's only about $33 NZD for me.
-------------------------
Seriously though, HOW EXPENSIVE is it to translate the script and add it as subs???
It's only going to piss off a significant portion of their fanbase outside Japan and lose them money Imo.
I've watched the rest online for free (with subs) and was thinking about buying the whole collection, then I saw this pop up -_-No way I'm purchasing anything else from them, Like 5 times as many people speak english than Japanese imo.
Reuben Painter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutly ridiculous imo.
So I found the movie (digital) for sale on the Japanese version of Amazon, created an account and went to purchase it.....

"We can not complete your order. No fee will be charged on your credit card. Credit cards must be issued from banks in Japan. "

WTF ********* WHY WON'T YOU TAKE MY MONEY??? Surely they want people from outside of Japan buying their products>>>?????
I was even prepared to watch it in pure Japanese :,(
To think the legacy of Yamato has been entrusted in their hands........ rip.

Has anyone had any luck getting it elsewhere? Money's no object and theres no way I'm going to try and order the Blueray of it.
mrploddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Rakuten Showtime happily took my UK issued AMEX *HOWEVER* they have GeoIP so you would need to find a VPN that slips under the radio. (I am living in Japan)

Another avenue is possibly using Amazon Japan points ? - I dont know if you can pay for digital content purely with points.
Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I watched the movie unsubbed.
Voyager Entertainment's name did show up in the credits. Just as mrploddy said.

http://pasteboard.co/D6g0Czc3C.png
Heibi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mamo-chan wrote:
I watched the movie unsubbed.
Voyager Entertainment's name did show up in the credits. Just as mrploddy said.

http://pasteboard.co/D6g0Czc3C.png

So with their lightning quick speed we'll have a subtitled mono DVD in 5 years.
Reuben Painter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The ammount of work it takes to make a fake Japanese Showtime account and try to get the show is ridiculous imo.
Apparently you need a Japanese mobile email as well to register -_-

Any idea if there will be any releases on different platforms:?
Desslok

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Goddamnit!

Hey Bandai/Voyager - you see those huge pile of Star Blazers VHS tapes I have? All those Star Blazers DVDs? Those ridiculously mismanaged Blu Ray releases? All the money I spent on that stuff? I would have, gladly and without hesitation, dropped the 70 a disc you were asking for 2202.

Now? I guess that frees up my anime budget to buy more Lupin or something.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:54 am Reply with quote
With the way current US copyright laws are, "Star Blazers" season 1 will hit public domain on 12/31/2074 at the earliest.
Heibi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
With the way current US copyright laws are, "Star Blazers" season 1 will hit public domain on 12/31/2074 at the earliest.

I believe that if they don't release the rest within a certain time Voyager loses the rights to the series. Bandai still retains the copyright, but another company can pick up the series after that time. Bandai can exercise its options under the contract they have with them to pull away the rights(There's usually a clause regarding stalled projects). But that is a ways off.

The snail's pace that Voyager has released 2199 is disheartening for those of us who await a English sub of 2202. Not to mention that they delayed Vol 5 & 6 2 1/2 years ago along with the order page and haven't updated their official page since August of 2014.

So right now I don't even see a English sub of this series being released until 2019. considering Voyager's record.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Although I'm no huge fan of Space Battleship Yamato, I find it very disheartening that international viewers are being forced to watch the show raw. It's hard for most people to watch a foreign show in its language of origin when there's no translation to convey speech. Bandai Visual really made a fool out of themselves with how they handled their debut of 2202.
southsouthsac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Heibi wrote:
The snail's pace that Voyager has released 2199 is disheartening for those of us who await a English sub of 2202. Not to mention that they delayed Vol 5 & 6 2 1/2 years ago along with the order page and haven't updated their official page since August of 2014.

Snails pace? After 2 years of no website update and no update on disc 5 in general I just assumed that they were dead and not happening? Picked up the Japanese releases .

I have no faith in these guys for 2202.

Pretty bummed that the Japanese BRs don't have english subs.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Shit. That really sucks.

Was going to import them just like I did the first season since I didn't think it would ever get released here, and then when they did start they never even finished. I have no belief they'll actually release season 2 let alone finish it if they were to start it.

If only Funi (since they did the live action movie) could steal the rights away from Voyager... (we'd even get a dub that way too).

Guess I need to cancel my import preorder of the first volume.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3