• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai's Home Video Release of Space Battleship Yamato 2202 Won't Include English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
It seems obvious that they realized putting English subs on the Japanese release of 2199 wound up undercutting their own licensee. I, for one, wasn't about to stop importing the volumes in favor of Voyager's (which was also relatively expensive and sub-only). Perhaps 2202's domestic release will be less of a disaster.

There was no licensee involved in the US release. Voyager Entertainment was solely responsible for that release.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
There was no licensee involved in the US release. Voyager Entertainment was solely responsible for that release.

Uh, Voyager IS the licensee. They're not part of Bandai (as far as I know)...
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Uh, Voyager IS the licensee. They're not part of Bandai (as far as I know)...

Voyager is the rights holder to Yamato. They didn't license the 2199 series to an American company, they released it themselves.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Reuben Painter wrote:

-------------------------
Seriously though, HOW EXPENSIVE is it to translate the script and add it as subs???
It's only going to piss off a significant portion of their fanbase outside Japan and lose them money Imo.
Maybe so few people imported the previous releases that they felt it wasn't worth the expense of adding subtitles?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Reuben Painter wrote:

-------------------------
Seriously though, HOW EXPENSIVE is it to translate the script and add it as subs???
It's only going to piss off a significant portion of their fanbase outside Japan and lose them money Imo.
Maybe so few people imported the previous releases that they felt it wasn't worth the expense of adding subtitles?

They'd have no way of knowing I don't think.
Stores don't report to them how many sales were to overseas customers, as far as I know.
What I think is more likely is that the overall bluray sales were below expectations anyway (including domestically), and they made most of their money off the movie screenings anyway, so why waste money on the bluray release?
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

They'd have no way of knowing I don't think.
Stores don't report to them how many sales were to overseas customers, as far as I know.
What I think is more likely is that the overall bluray sales were below expectations anyway (including domestically), and they made most of their money off the movie screenings anyway, so why waste money on the bluray release?

Blu-Ray and DVD sales were pretty strong - every volume was in the top three in sales for the Blu-Ray, and the top five in DVD, and for the mpst part stayed in the top ten for at least 2-3 weeks. Production IG, which did most of the production management for 2199, said 500,000+ units of plamo and home video discs sold realising a profit of 10 billion yen following the TV broadcast in 2013, while strong sales of the discs during the cinematic releases helped recover their production costs.

Make no mistake, home video sales for 2199 were strong in Japan. The most likely reason for the lack of subtitles is, as postulated earlier in the thread, is to prevent undermining foreign releases' sales.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Make no mistake, home video sales for 2199 were strong in Japan. The most likely reason for the lack of subtitles is, as postulated earlier in the thread, is to prevent undermining foreign releases' sales.

It's possible. Italy got a localised Yamato 2199 subbed and dubbed in dvd and blu-ray versions. It's also getting a localised version of 2202. Maybe the American licensor simply doesn't want US customers to buy a foreign release when a domestic one is available and since both the US and Japan share the same blu-ray region code that explains the absence of english subs on the Japanese release for 2202. In fact it was never revealed why the American licensor didn't complete the release of Yamato 2199. Maybe the sales were too low because the people were importing directly from Japan and dismissing the local edition ?
durask

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Maybe the sales were too low because the people were importing directly from Japan and dismissing the local edition ?

Maybe the sales were too low because, um, you have to promote the show and people should probably know that it, um, exists.

There are tons of non-anime fans in the US who grew up watching Star Blazers and would love to watch a remake. Ridiculous - this is an anime with nostalgic mass market appeal - if anything would sell it is the Star Blazers remake.

Why oh why can't Netflix or Amazon or, well, anyone get the rights to it as opposed to two clowns in their mother's garage.
Reuben Painter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
4 months down the road and still no news :,(
The second part id due to come out in a few weeks as well, maybe theyre waiting untill it's all been released:?

EDIT: Also WTF do my posts I make keep disapearing???
I've made the same post here TWICE and yet a few minutes latter it disapears -_-

Anyway, subbed versions of Yamato episdoes 1 and two are here:
http://kissanime.ru/Anime/Uchuu-Senkan-Yamato-2202-Ai-no-Senshi-tachi/Episode-002?id=136020&s=default
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3