• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Environment Ministry Fights Climate Change with Moe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Oh yeah, climate change, such a scam. I mean, it's not like hundreds of scientists have proven it with massive piles of evidence or anything. And it's not like last weekend I went out wearing just a hoodie. In the middle of February. In Canada.

I don't think you've lived long enough for your anecdote to be relevant or statistically significant somehow. In the northern United States and Canada any given day in February can have as much as a 60C spread in temperatures in one decade.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
What they have to do is to put a tax on carbon emissions and end subsidies to fossil fuel industries (the world's governments give 490 billion dollars every year for the fossil fuel industry, just stopping those subsidies would already give an enormous push to decrease carbon emissions, adding a tax of 40 dollars on every ton of fossil fuel sold would also be an additional huge help) instead of stupid campaigns trying to brainwash the youth.

Unfortunately such schemes are usually market based with the buying and selling of carbon credits while the price is kept artifically lower than it should be. The current EUETS (European Union Emissions Trading Scheme) carbon price was €7/tonne (2016) and you only pay for an unkeep of your permit (£500) and if you exceed your targets (or you miss reporting deadlines). You are given targets, but the cost of paying the excess is usually cheaper than undertaking any energy saving options.

A flat rate of $40 would be much better, but the money paid also needs to be spent on climate improvements which it rarely is. Sad
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:05 am Reply with quote
It's not like I want to exude harmful waste products, baka!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I dunno about that. In this area young people seem to be almost uniformly a bunch of environmental activists. All of the local shops selling super organic, locally grown, fair trade, low energy consuming, etc etc, sh*t are packed to the gills with "millennials" constantly. Maybe it's different elsewhere in NA, but I found that to be similarly the case in Seattle, NYC, and Toronto when I last visited.
You can argue that none of what they do has made a difference, but considering what kind of companies around here are raking in the cash, I'd say at the very least it's encouraging good things.

Eh, All those "healthly foods" stuff is mostly just a fad, consumed just so the consumer can brag about doing it. Other than that you'll see them take to Twitter or whatever and go on about how we have to save the Earth but rarely do they do anything other than that.

The planet doesn't need saving anyways. We do. George Carlin said it best.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I dunno about that. In this area young people seem to be almost uniformly a bunch of environmental activists. All of the local shops selling super organic, locally grown, fair trade, low energy consuming, etc etc, sh*t are packed to the gills with "millennials" constantly. Maybe it's different elsewhere in NA, but I found that to be similarly the case in Seattle, NYC, and Toronto when I last visited.
You can argue that none of what they do has made a difference, but considering what kind of companies around here are raking in the cash, I'd say at the very least it's encouraging good things.

Eh, All those "healthly foods" stuff is mostly just a fad, consumed just so the consumer can brag about doing it. Other than that you'll see them take to Twitter or whatever and go on about how we have to save the Earth but rarely do they do anything other than that.

The planet doesn't need saving anyways. We do. George Carlin said it best.

Oh yeah, I've seen that. It's funny. But anyway, a good fad is still a good thing. I've been doing all of that low-consumption stuff since I was born and don't plan to stop. If more people pick it up, to be cool, or as a fad, or regardless of what the reason is, it's still a good thing.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
If Japan's youth don't care about environmental issues unless they have moeblobs chucked at them, then the country is screwed.

It's not like our youth are any better.

I'll just make a note there's a huge difference between urban and rural cultures in every country. A funny study I heard about in the past few months noted that urban cultures were more similar to urban cultures across countries than they were to their own local rural areas.

My main problem with the Climate Disruption (my favorite term I heard for it) is that in many cases even if we slammed on the brakes entirely right now it is too late. So I am against any plan that doesn't deal with coping with what'll happen. If I'm against a plan to cut emissions if it has no coping plan, I am seen as an outright denier. No no, I'm on board! My state's capital, Boston is talking of the sea wall they're planning to build. Conservation simply isn't/won't be enough, so moralizing on that point is just hardening opposition.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Oh yeah, I've seen that. It's funny. But anyway, a good fad is still a good thing. I've been doing all of that low-consumption stuff since I was born and don't plan to stop. If more people pick it up, to be cool, or as a fad, or regardless of what the reason is, it's still a good thing.

There's still stuff like gluten free diets, where gluten is only unhealthy if you're actually allergic to it but non-alergics picked it up and started acting snooty about it. Now anyone asking for gluten free alternatives because they're allergic get lumped together with the snobs.
Supermutant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Fighting a fictional problems with fictional characters? LOL Laughing
Eudemon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to agree that I prefer the look of the Ima to Mirai. I'm also going to agree that at least in my area of the midwest, the youth are somewhat more interested in conserving power than the older people (until you let them at 3D printers, nearly the least energy efficient mode of manufacture I've seen). Part of this is laziness. It's easier to install LED bulbs new and never replace them in a home, versus maybe having to deal with finding replacements you like for the incandescent bulbs. Another part is cost. A number of people I know bought things like light bulbs in bulk, expecting to replace them, and may still be working through that, or have bought florescents and don't see the RoI in LED's over florescent lighting (I really like the LED LTL to replace the 4ft florescent tubes, but many would need an electrician to install it, since it requires rewiring fixtures in most cases)

But as a side note, not all the things presented as reducing environmental impact do. A number of the locally grown foodstuffs around me burns more energy in winter heating than is burned delivering it via cargo ship or rail (Ton-miles per gallon of gasoline equivalent are very good for both methods, although sulfer from the Bunker-C used in many cargo ships is an issue). From a CO2 perspective, "organic" farming is worse than "industrial", because a lot of the things like chemically based fertilizers and pesticides that are manufactured or grown in, were created to make it cheaper to farm, in labor, equipment, consumable, or land costs. The manufactured fertilizer is more potent per unit volume and can be tailored to the plants, while organic ones (Mostly manure and sewage, suitably processed) needs to be spread over the field and plants, which is difficult to do with a crop duster.

My personal opinion on the best way to help the environment is to greatly reduce the volume of electronics that are thrown away, or sent to china for "Reclamation", instead of repaired or properly recycled. If products (especially cables) were designed to last, they would be more expensive upfront, but would cost the consumer and the environment less in the long run.

And my final bit of opinion fluff is that I think no matter if the climate is changing or not, that reducing energy use, and saving hydrocarbons (Fossil fuels) for the future is smart, because many plastics require a hydrocarbon feedstock to make, and saving energy saves money, both for the consumer, and on the utility side, as less equipment is needed to transport and switch the energy.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
relyat08 wrote:

There's still stuff like gluten free diets, where gluten is only unhealthy if you're actually allergic to it but non-alergics picked it up and started acting snooty about it. Now anyone asking for gluten free alternatives because they're allergic get lumped together with the snobs.

I guess that's true enough in some respects. I've found that a lot of those types of people are snobby about everything though. And if it wasn't the non-gluten fad, it would have been something else just as dumb. For what it's worth, I think avoiding gluten is probably good for a lot of people, even if you're not allergic to it. The Paleo Diet has a lot of perks in general. And as someone with many digestive issues, I feel significantly better if I avoid the stuff most of the time as well. With the exception of sourdough, sourdough is good.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ima will let you survive in the Winter and Summer, Mirai just wants you to suffer in the Winter and Summer. You are not going to survive with Mirai under Japan's brutal Summers and cold near Midwestern style Winters.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Heh, I'm amused at how people are preferring Ima over Mirai. I guess it's something about a girl who's unkempt and a slob who still manages to be pretty that appeals to people.

Eudemon wrote:
I'm going to agree that I prefer the look of the Ima to Mirai. I'm also going to agree that at least in my area of the midwest, the youth are somewhat more interested in conserving power than the older people (until you let them at 3D printers, nearly the least energy efficient mode of manufacture I've seen). Part of this is laziness. It's easier to install LED bulbs new and never replace them in a home, versus maybe having to deal with finding replacements you like for the incandescent bulbs. Another part is cost. A number of people I know bought things like light bulbs in bulk, expecting to replace them, and may still be working through that, or have bought florescents and don't see the RoI in LED's over florescent lighting (I really like the LED LTL to replace the 4ft florescent tubes, but many would need an electrician to install it, since it requires rewiring fixtures in most cases)

There are some hard-line incandescent fans who have only recently been won over to LEDs because they came out with LEDs meant to imitate incandescents as closely as possible: Instead of the pure white, they give off a slightly yellow light, and instead of instantly turning on or off, they fade in and out like an incandescent. That is, there are some people who can't stand LEDs not because of a fear of change, but because they just don't like the light LEDs give off.

A genuine concern is the fact that light from an LED is not continuous like incandescents or fluorescents, but is a quick flicker. There are people sensitive to rapid flickering that gives them headaches and nausea. I'm not sure why it adversely affects them while digital screens are okay though.

Eudemon wrote:
But as a side note, not all the things presented as reducing environmental impact do. A number of the locally grown foodstuffs around me burns more energy in winter heating than is burned delivering it via cargo ship or rail (Ton-miles per gallon of gasoline equivalent are very good for both methods, although sulfer from the Bunker-C used in many cargo ships is an issue). From a CO2 perspective, "organic" farming is worse than "industrial", because a lot of the things like chemically based fertilizers and pesticides that are manufactured or grown in, were created to make it cheaper to farm, in labor, equipment, consumable, or land costs. The manufactured fertilizer is more potent per unit volume and can be tailored to the plants, while organic ones (Mostly manure and sewage, suitably processed) needs to be spread over the field and plants, which is difficult to do with a crop duster.

My personal opinion on the best way to help the environment is to greatly reduce the volume of electronics that are thrown away, or sent to china for "Reclamation", instead of repaired or properly recycled. If products (especially cables) were designed to last, they would be more expensive upfront, but would cost the consumer and the environment less in the long run.

And my final bit of opinion fluff is that I think no matter if the climate is changing or not, that reducing energy use, and saving hydrocarbons (Fossil fuels) for the future is smart, because many plastics require a hydrocarbon feedstock to make, and saving energy saves money, both for the consumer, and on the utility side, as less equipment is needed to transport and switch the energy.

Something I realized when living in the San Francisco Bay Area (which is strongly politically left, with some places looking straight out of The Goode Family), is that people passionate about environmentalism falls into two categories: Smart environmentalism and dumb environmentalism. Both groups care strongly about curbing waste, avoiding pollution, and other Captain Planet kind of issues--but the latter group are rather reckless about it, hanging on to buzzwords and not actually doing the research, which, frankly, provides fuel for anti-environmentalists to mock all environmentalists.

The way I see it, there is no harm to, say, de-intensifying your HVAC system, turning off the faucet while brushing your teeth when you're not using it, recycling whatever you can, and turning off the lights around the house if you're not going back there. The only excuse is laziness.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
Climate change does happen. How we go about dealing with it, how often it occurs, and how much of an issue it is the real problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2