• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Japanese People Really Only Drink Green Tea?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
I assume my posts got deleted so I'll repeat it again (albeit more appropriately). This question is worded offensively. Japanese people do more than just drink green tea. Heck, they even drink more than just tea! Not only that, but just about every anime has vending machines where a variety of drinks can be purchased. Milk tea has been seen in plenty of anime. The way the title of this question is headed makes it appear stereotypical.

The question is not worded offensively, after all it is a question wanting an answer. And there is that little thing called context.

If that question is offensive, then we all might as well stop talking, for fear of being denounced as racists.
albanian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
In my defence, if such is really necessary, my question was simply, and very specifically, about the apparent portrayal in anime of the domestic Japanese consumption of loose-leaf green tea, infused in a teapot, and drunk in a home environment. Of course, I am well aware of the vast number of vending machines which show that the Japanese consume as wide a variety of other teas, canned coffee, sodas, and other beverages - not to mention beer! - as any nation on earth. But if that was the question I had wanted to ask, then that is the question I would have asked.

Incidentally, mention of Twinings, whose flagship premises are only two or three hundred yards along The Strand in central London from the college I attended in the late 1960s, reminds me that, though it is synonymous today with the production and sale of tea, began life as Tom's (ie Thomas Twining's) Coffee House, one of the very earliest (founded 1701) of the famous/infamous 18th century coffee houses which provided a clearing house for news dissemination and political discussion amongst the intellectual and social elite of London society... and was also the inventor of Earl Grey, the world's best-selling tea blend.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Not too keen on green tea myself. I'll occasionally have different flavoured tea and quite enjoy iced tea too.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
In my defence, if such is really necessary, my question was simply, and very specifically, about the apparent portrayal in anime of the domestic Japanese consumption of loose-leaf green tea, infused in a teapot, and drunk in a home environment.

Anecdotally then, when I visited Japan with my aunt and stayed with her friend's family for a couple weeks, they had an electric kettle and teapot full of loose-leaf green tea going constantly, and we drank it pretty much the entire time we were home, at meals or just sitting around talking (our host also often brought a thermos along when we went out, and at one point when we were driving a ways we stopped at a rest area and they had (free) hot tea dispensers there).

And yes, it ruined me for most of the green tea available here :) They sent us home with some really good sencha, and while I don't drink it all-day-every-day like I did there, I'm able to refill my mug 2-3 times with 1tsp of leaves before it loses its flavour. I like genmaicha a lot too, with the roasted rice-y flavour (I order mine from Harney & Sons, which sells a variety of loose and bagged, plain and flavoured and herbal teas).
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
I assume my posts got deleted so I'll repeat it again (albeit more appropriately). This question is worded offensively. Japanese people do more than just drink green tea. Heck, they even drink more than just tea! Not only that, but just about every anime has vending machines where a variety of drinks can be purchased. Milk tea has been seen in plenty of anime. The way the title of this question is headed makes it appear stereotypical.

Trump is right, PC BS is killing society.
Chill out man, if you're offended by the tinnest of things (and this one about tea is about as irrelevant as you can get) you'll go through life damning every second of it. Rolling Eyes
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
When I was growing up in the South it was known simply as "iced tea" (or sometimes just "tea"), and presumed by default to be sweet. (Though you did occasionally hear "sweet tea" around Atlanta... but back then the country was not so homogenous as it is now.) The term "sweet tea" has only grown in prominence and become widespread (though still not ubiquitous) in the last decade or so.

I've never heard of "sweet sweet tea" and can find no references to the same.

Yeah, it gets really confusing because all three regions just call it "iced tea" with no further elaboration, and the people of all three regions will consider it the default iced tea with the other versions given descriptors. I call these things "unsweetened," "sweet," and "sweet sweet/extra sweet" to differentiate them, and that's what they're often labeled around here by local producers of iced tea, except for "unsweetened"--unless you're in a nationwide restaurant chain like Subway, it's just called "iced tea."

(If the "sweet sweet tea" phrase doesn't exist, I might be remembering it wrong--I only recently learned that there is a version of tea even sweeter than the sweet tea I commonly would see. That's the rarest kind of tea sold in these parts.)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Incidentally, mention of Twinings, whose flagship premises are only two or three hundred yards along The Strand in central London from the college I attended in the late 1960s, reminds me that, though it is synonymous today with the production and sale of tea...

My alma mater too! Never did I venture to Twinings' deceptively narrow retail outlet though. Everything about its decorative façade suggested it was for patrons of notable discernment, undeterred by the prices of central London ware.

(Plus, I also dislike tea.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I'm caffeine-sensitive, so I can't have most teas. (And that also depends on if you count the herbal teas as teas at all, but they are caffeine-free.) I don't really like hot drinks much though, so if I'll have tea, it'll always be iced and decaffeinated or caffeine-free.

Wow, it's like watching myself type. Anime hyper

I'm REALLY caffeine-sensitive; I don't do coffee, and I normally drink cf-free sodas too. I also can't really drink hot drinks. I will do that when I have a sore throat. But my tea HAS to be iced if I casually down it.

Quote:
If you're talking about Gettin' Cool! as far as the melon cream soda goes, they're sold at Asian supermarkets here. I don't know if you have any Asian supermarkets nearby, but every single one around here, without exception, sells Gettin' Cool! in the four main flavors: melon, strawberry, grape, and "soda" (better known to westerners as Ramune). A few also sell the rarer orange flavor, which is my personal favorite. It's made by the same people as Ramune, so I always get Gettin' Cool! over the glass bottles with the marble. You know, living in an arid climate and all means I'm always thirsty.

Qoo is definitely pretty good, though the apple flavor is pretty generic. The brand was created and is run by a major western soft drink company (though I forget if it's Coca-Cola, Pepsi, or Nestlé), so its availability is pretty high here too if you know where to look.

We do! We've got Tokyo Food store which is a bit of a drive but it's got everything a Japanese snacker could want and we've got another tiny store about 20 minutes away that regularly stocks the U.C.C. Gettin' Cool melon soda. The soda is not EXACTLY the same as what they have at Kentucky Fried Chicken, but it's close enough. ♥ I was practically jumping up and down. Anime hyper

I'm not really sure why this U.C.C. soda is different from the one IN Japan but I've noted that the green color is much richer over there and they will serve it with ice cream on top (I always preferred mine without).

LOVE Ramune. Anime hyper Had a collection of bottles til my mum threw them out. Getting those things open was all kinds of fun times. lmao
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
HeeroTX wrote:
Cold Barley Tea (aka "mugi cha") is actually often the drink of choice in the summer, and as Brand noted is often served (or otherwise available for free, aka from a dispenser) in many smaller restaurants.

Would you recommend unsweetened barley tea as a cold drink? It seems to be all the rage in anime, though my correspondences on the matter all seem to tell against it.

I'm actually not a good person to ask, since I'm not really a tea drinker, nor any drink that isn't water. I usually just drink water, anything else is only due to situational reasons. That said, the small amount of "cool" Barley tea that I've had wasn't bad. And my friend from Yokohama seems to always have a bottle with him in the summer. To me, it tasted like "shredded wheat" flavored water.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I'm REALLY caffeine-sensitive; I don't do coffee, and I normally drink cf-free sodas too. I also can't really drink hot drinks. I will do that when I have a sore throat. But my tea HAS to be iced if I casually down it.

Heh, so that probably means you've been in some situations where the people you're hanging out with have never heard of someone who doesn't take in caffeine, and reactions range from admiration ("You've never become a slave to caffeine? That's incredible!") to confusion ("How can you not take in anything caffeinated?") It definitely does create problems for me when I'm in some traditional Asian situation and everybody receives tea though. I know I wouldn't want to be caught in one of those Japanese tea ceremonies.

Chiibi wrote:
We do! We've got Tokyo Food store which is a bit of a drive but it's got everything a Japanese snacker could want and we've got another tiny store about 20 minutes away that regularly stocks the U.C.C. Gettin' Cool melon soda. The soda is not EXACTLY the same as what they have at Kentucky Fried Chicken, but it's close enough. ♥ I was practically jumping up and down. Anime hyper

I'm not really sure why this U.C.C. soda is different from the one IN Japan but I've noted that the green color is much richer over there and they will serve it with ice cream on top (I always preferred mine without).

LOVE Ramune. Anime hyper Had a collection of bottles til my mum threw them out. Getting those things open was all kinds of fun times. lmao

Heh, I want to consume my soda immediately, so the marble's too much trouble, and the bottles are too small, so I get Gettin' Cool!, as it's more convenient for me and better approximates my thirst. But I'm not going to turn them down if I obtain any bottles. I've never been to Japan except for staying at airports though, so I've never had any of the sodas they offer there at KFC or any other restaurants.

I can't imagine why the exported versions would be inferior though. Maybe they're not as fresh?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
We do! We've got Tokyo Food store which is a bit of a drive but it's got everything a Japanese snacker could want and we've got another tiny store about 20 minutes away that regularly stocks the U.C.C. Gettin' Cool melon soda.

After seeing it being consumed in anime, I have grown most intrigued by the concept of melon-flavoured ice cream soda. Fruit and vanilla are so seldom combined in beverage form, you see.

HeeroTX wrote:
To me, it tasted like "shredded wheat" flavored water.

That is actually a more appetising description than it fairly deserves to be!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3