• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals English Dub Cast For New Berserk Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, talented voice actors can't save that anime from being ugly and badly shot.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
For those blaming FUNimation, you should be directing that blame to Crunchyroll since this dub was first announced months before they made their deal with FUNi (also as mentioned, it's most likely why Mob Psycho 100's dub was done in LA). They don't have the best track record but if FUNi was fully involved, they most likely would have outsourced it to NYAV because they have worked with the studio before (see Slayers seasons 4 & 5) and last I checked, they still bring over Michael Sinterniklaas & Stephanie Sheh for some of their dubs (most recent being the dreck that was Sengoku Basara: End of Judgment) and Mike wanted to work on the new Berserk series because the previous dubs were his work (source).

With that said, I wonder why Bang Zoom didn't bother to bring back Marc Diraison & Carrie Keranen? Kevin Collins is understandable because he's still in New York but Marc & Carrie have been in LA for a while and have been in other dubs for Bang Zoom even recently with Viz's Hunter x Hunter 2011 dub.

CatSword wrote:
Here's to hoping they'll snatch the original for a Blu-Ray rerelease.

I have mixed feelings about this because FUNi has shown to half-ass their other rescue releases in recent months (whether it's QC problems or in the case of Haruhi & Code Geass, some extras being missing) and it would really suck if they botched the '97 series in some way because those Japanese BDs look excellent and so were those extras on Media Blasters' DVDs.

Rowan Maselli wrote:
The 2016 Berserk series is a complete disgrace to the manga. Why would they waist resources on this instead of dubbing a good show?

The same could be said for the movies with the awful mixed in CG they had, yet Viz did the right thing for those and sent them to NYAV. They even had produced new outtake extras for each film that was previously done for MB's '97 series DVDs and they were just as good as those.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
But... Bang Zoom has gotten Marc and Carrie for lesser things. Heck, Marc was a random extra in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Why not get them for a major thing that they both love.

Honestly, I'll only be happy if they get the original cast back for Berserk 2025 or whatever. You know, the remake of the manga that pretends this CG hell never happened.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:16 am Reply with quote
Its pretty funny they everyone is straight blaming Funimation for the cast changes. Berserk dub was announced WAY before the deal with FUnimation. So i bet the dub was already in the works for it. Same as in Mob Pyscho Funimation ddint do anything about the casting or recording.

Its always funny how everyone straight rages before thinking their MIGHT be a different reason for it.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
As much as I dislike the new Berserk animes, I was actually waiting for a dub so it'll at least be kind of watchable (japanese Guts just doesn't do it for me), but what's with the cast change?
I mean, I'm sure the new cast will do fine, but Marc Diraison IS Guts in my eyes and they got the old cast (most of them) back for the Golden Age movies, so why not here?

Well, whatever the reasons may be, I'll pass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 am Reply with quote
honestly Guts is good enough, and with so few returning characters from the golden age arc being in the upcoming arcs, these choices are largely not a problem. HOWEVER, because there's so few returning characters I'm putting the decision of my purchase 100% on the quality of Griffith's voice actor. I know he won't talk much in the first 12 episodes, but he'll be so important in the next arc that this show lives and dies on how well they can express Griffith.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
*sees the cast list and doesn't see Marc Diraison anywhere*

yeah,fudge you too,Crunchy.
Funnily enough,Christopher Corey Smith as the King is the only thing from a previous dub they kept.Thanks for throwing that bone to us...
Ambrose7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:24 am Reply with quote
Rowan Maselli wrote:
The 2016 Berserk series is a complete disgrace to the manga. Why would they waist resources on this instead of dubbing a good show?

Ikr? Their decision to dub shows like this and Chaos Dragon over Rainbow and Tatami Galaxy always baffles me.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
I'm getting Trigun: Badland Rumble flashbacks. But this hurts more.

Like, damn! Confused
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
The new cast looks pretty good, and I've always been a fan of Kaiji Tang's... but it hurts a bit to see the original cast go especially when it's so unnecessary to replace Diraison since he's done work for Bang Zoom plenty of times. Only piling on the disappointment of the 2016 anime.

Lynx Amali wrote:
I'm getting Trigun: Badland Rumble flashbacks. But this hurts more.

Like, damn! Confused

At least they kept JYB there.
merr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
It's possible Diraison and Keranen declined out of respect for Michael Sinterniklaas. They may not have wanted to do the project without him.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Man, this series cannot catch a break Laughing
First the cgi is a downright mess, but now it can't reunite the cast, the one thing I was really looking forward to? It really does suck that I can't hear Marc Dairason on this. Not gonna blame funi on this because all the evidence leads to this being Crunchyroll doing in this blunder.

Having said all that, believe it or not I will be purchasing this, as I'm one of the few who did get some enjoyment from the series. Sure it's not the manga, but I don't really think any of the adaptations up to now haven't been either.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
This is a big disappointment to me as the original English dub cast for Berserk has always been one of my top favorite dubs. And it sounds like the original cast was more than willing to return, so it's very strange they wouldn't use them in the dub of this. This isn't even a reboot but a direct sequel so they can't use the reboot excuse this time as a reason why thy didn't bring them back.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
Hey guys, I don't think FUNimation chose this cast. I'm pretty sure this is Crunchyroll's doing.

Yeah, this does seem really similar to that situation with Mob Psycho 100. I wouldn't be surprised considering the lengths Funimation has gone to in order to reunite original casts in the past.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Im so mad right now. I can understand since 90% of the main characters from the golden age arent here anymore but to not at least have Guts original voice actor is insane. What was whomever is incharge thinking? All would have been fine if they at least had him
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3