• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: In Another World With My Smartphone Light Novels Get Summer TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bodlat25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
I feel like I already read light novels and manga getting TV Anime like Clockwork Planet, Death March, Armed Girl's Machiavellism and including this one. I wonder if Gun-Ota also get anime Question.

Two Light Novels that I mention the Death March and Gun-Ota have Fantasy, Other World and Reincarnation genre/theme.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
bodlat25 wrote:
I feel like I already read light novels and manga getting TV Anime like Clockwork Planet, Death March, Armed Girl's Machiavellism and including this one. I wonder if Gun-Ota also get anime Question.

Two Light Novels that I mention the Death March and Gun-Ota have Fantasy, Other World and Reincarnation genre/theme.

gunota definitely needs a better adaptation, the magna is pretty amateurish, it makes shield bro's mangaka look like a seasoned pro in comparison.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really hope this show will be less vapid than its key visual.

Time to check out the translations and see for myself.
dlm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
oh-look-it's-this-again.jpg

Davonepresley wrote:
The ONLY way this anime can turn out to be anything but a horrible, generic, pile of crap is if it's a MASSIVE parody of the genre.

From announce to airing in only a couple months, and the VAs aren't even announced yet? I'm going to expect knocked-together trash.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The overall maturity of users on ANN these days had terribly worsened, especially on articles like this, which will be avoid by me in the near future.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Toshihide Masudate (Papillon Rose), Masahiro Sekiguchi (Rainbow Days chief animation director), and Miyako Nishida (Rainbow Days) are all credited as character designers and chief animation directors.

For there being that many people involved the designs look shockingly generic.

Hopefully this somehow surprises and turns out to be amazing satire or something, but just from this I can't roll my eyes any harder or they'll fall outta my head. Rolling Eyes Laughing
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Considering that Production Reed is animating, I can't help but wonder if they chose this title simply because it's a safe bet. Production-wise, I can sort of understand their decision.

On the other hand, I assumed Shieldbro won't get animated because the novels have already ended? I understand how it's good though.

zztop wrote:
Surprisingly, J-novel Club says the Japanese publishers actually requested them to translate Smartphone, a rarity where most times foreign translators have to approach the Japanese.

Now I'm curious. I wonder why.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
J-Novel Club's release output is good considering some fan translation outputs can take even longer. Now, if the anime has success we may have more J-N Club members and an increased output on this title.
Jimmeeeh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:13 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
The overall maturity of users on ANN these days had terribly worsened, especially on articles like this, which will be avoid by me in the near future.

spoiler[Maybe they all come from /a/.]

Jokes aside, I guess people are just tired of the Isekai genre.[/spoiler]
TUSF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:10 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
This could be stupid fun or it could be the next Sky Wizards Academy I'll reserve judgement but I know Anons on /A/ over on 4chan are already ready to carve this series up because it's another Isekai series with a harem element to it. I haven't read it so I can't comment.

Read some of the web novel, back when that was being translated.
It's not just "harem elements"; spoiler[main character actually ends up in a relationship with all the girls], if I remember correctly.

Though I may be mixing that up with some other web novel, oops.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Considering that Production Reed is animating, I can't help but wonder if they chose this title simply because it's a safe bet. Production-wise, I can sort of understand their decision.

On the other hand, I assumed Shieldbro won't get animated because the novels have already ended? I understand how it's good though.

zztop wrote:
Surprisingly, J-novel Club says the Japanese publishers actually requested them to translate Smartphone, a rarity where most times foreign translators have to approach the Japanese.

Now I'm curious. I wonder why.

It's also possible the publishers chose Reed.
The J-novel Club translator says the Smartphone novels sell quite well in Japan, so maybe the publishers think it can be sold to an overseas audience. A rare display of proactivity from the normally reserved Japanese market who prefer staying in their borders.

The Shieldbro novels are still ongoing at 17 volumes, which would require multiple anime seasons to fully adapt. Its source webnovel has long ended, but readers say the novel is a much better read than the WN, and even has a novel-original arc in the middle.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 am Reply with quote
I know there are instances where translators do get permission from the web/light novel authors. Cases of creator or copyright-holder approved fansubs or scanlations (other than Manga Reborn) are a rarity. Heck, an ANN story of that would have be an interesting forum discussion.
Testarossah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
Jimmeeeh wrote:
Afezeria wrote:

Jokes aside, I guess people are just tired of the Isekai genre.

Which doesn't makes much sense considering that the 10 or so Isekai animes that came out in the last four years were quite liked by the majority (Examples: Hataraku Maou-sama, No Game No Life, Overlord, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Konosuba, Re:Zero and so on).
To me it's just seem like they are saying things like this just to fit in the hate trend, the complaints doesn't makes sense for several reasons but the hate must go on for the sake of it.
dlm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Testarossah wrote:
Jimmeeeh wrote:
Afezeria wrote:

Jokes aside, I guess people are just tired of the Isekai genre.

Which doesn't makes much sense considering that the 10 or so Isekai animes that came out in the last four years were quite liked by the majority (Examples: Hataraku Maou-sama, No Game No Life, Overlord, Hai to Gensou no Grimgar, Konosuba, Re:Zero and so on).
To me it's just seem like they are saying things like this just to fit in the hate trend, the complaints doesn't makes sense for several reasons but the hate must go on for the sake of it.

At some point, it stops being interesting.

NGNL had an interesting premise and did it better than Problem Children did. Konosuba did NOT take itself seriously, while Re:Zero had an interesting (spoiler) monkeywrench in the works. (I haven't watched the others)

This... unless there is deliberate obfuscation around a major plot point, seems to be just coat-tail hanging BECAUSE there have been so many popular similar series lately. Oh, but he has a smartphone! Let Sora and Subaru know how that works out.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:

It's also possible the publishers chose Reed.
The J-novel Club translator says the Smartphone novels sell quite well in Japan, so maybe the publishers think it can be sold to an overseas audience. A rare display of proactivity from the normally reserved Japanese market who prefer staying in their borders.

The Shieldbro novels are still ongoing at 17 volumes, which would require multiple anime seasons to fully adapt. Its source webnovel has long ended, but readers say the novel is a much better read than the WN, and even has a novel-original arc in the middle.

I see. Thanks for the information.

Now I'm looking more forward to the rest of the Shieldbro novels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2