• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Let's Visit Akihabara! Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I was able to get into UFO table cafe and they had Tales of Zestria White Day Special during Anime Japan 2017 weekend. I had a Japanese friend who helped me.

Did you know that Telecom Animation studio used to occupy the same building that UFO table cafe is currently at? Hayao Miyazaki's final Lupin 3rd TV episode locale was based from that building.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:

It's lip service, but better than becoming a multi-kulti shithole a la Sweden. At least these guests will actually go back home. Wink

Good to know that there still exists a Disneyland that is kept in pristine condition and not slowly degrading into sad, depressed relics on life support that has affected most of the US known cultural commercial landmarks.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
For Mexican food in Tokyo, I do have one recommendation: junkadelic in Nakameguro. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who's just visiting Japan, but if you live here, it's the best Mexican food you can get in the city. (And it's really freaking good!!! Also one of the few places you can get a frozen margarita...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
That Godzilla head in someone's post with the colors makes him look like he's 'Joker Godzilla'.

See the Mc Donald's in Japan has better drinks. Sakura fizz??? It's time.

Okay is anyone going to buy that 'Little Foot'. We had that same toy and it belonged to my eldest niece. If it's not still in the toy box after stuff got tossed 2 years ago then it's at the Salvation Army or trashed.

And not to be mean to Michael may he rest in peace, I didn't know he could breast feed. Best pic when he wasn't hanging kids off balconies.

Looking forward to more news from blogs like this.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Somehow, a lot of that merchandise in Part 1 look like bootlegs. I'm sure at least some of them are, but they look so weird, and some of them look like they're molded out of a single piece the way Happy Meal toys would be.

As for the Funkos, the Pop! collectibles seem to be incredibly good sellers or something, because some vendors at Frank & Son stock nothing but hundreds and hundreds of these. I'd have to guess that any collectible seller, if they don't sell them, get flooded with requests for them.

BEEP has Atari Pac-Man? How sought-after are those nowadays? I thought Atari and Namco wanted to get rid of as many of these as possible.

I want that Pikachu Super Mario Bros. thing! I'm puzzled about Psyduck though. Is he supposed to be a ? Block? All the others I figured out.

jymmy wrote:
The Ghost in the Shell movie was far from the atrocity Dragonball Evolution was. It wasn't really a good adaptation of Ghost in the Shell, with most characters being barely recognisable as their movie/SAC counterparts, but it was a decent film overall.

Which is interesting, as I was reading professional critics' reviews of the movie, and most of them talked about how the movie stuck too close to the source material and didn't do its own thing.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Even before I read the comment, I was going, "Eww, eww, no, eww," at the pictures of the Mexican food, so I'd say you made the right call. They might not actually taste bad, but if you went in with your mouth ready for Mexican and got whatever that tastes like, the dissonance would probably ruin any goodness of the ingredients.

Thanks for all the pics! Now I don't have to go.

Yeah, those look like imitations of Mexican food made by someone, whom I'm sure is a skilled chef, only knows Mexican food based on Tex-Mex seen on American TV. Also, they just sell avocados by themselves? Like, without anything to put it in?

I heard Taco Bell had recently opened in Japan though, and that it's reasonably popular. I know Eiichiro Oda (author of One Piece) really likes eating there.

Paiprince wrote:
Good to know that there still exists a Disneyland that is kept in pristine condition and not slowly degrading into sad, depressed relics on life support that has affected most of the US known cultural commercial landmarks.

What do you mean by that? I don't understand.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Also, they just sell avocados by themselves? Like, without anything to put it in?

I dunno, but in Classicaloid a few weeks ago they were cooking and eating them with the skins on. Pththgack!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I dunno, but in Classicaloid a few weeks ago they were cooking and eating them with the skins on. Pththgack!

Wow, if that's how they think you're supposed to eat avocados, and this taco place is selling avocados, sliced and raw, as if it's an entree, that doesn't bode well for the rest of the menu.

I do hope that depiction on Classicaloid you described was a gag, considering it'd be like eating a watermelon including the rind or eating a banana with the peel still on. At least they weren't eating the pit. That's poisonous.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
It didn't seem to be. They also roast tangerines and eat the skin. Also, if you cook bananas with the peels, they're quite edible and tasty. Pickled watermelon rind is good too. Maybe if you cook avocado skins it softens them up enough to eat?

Considering how crappy the peels tend to be of most of the avocados I get (and the hidden rot and bruises that's sadly not uncommon), I'd just be too wary to eat it that way.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It didn't seem to be. They also roast tangerines and eat the skin. Also, if you cook bananas with the peels, they're quite edible and tasty. Pickled watermelon rind is good too. Maybe if you cook avocado skins it softens them up enough to eat?

Considering how crappy the peels tend to be of most of the avocados I get (and the hidden rot and bruises that's sadly not uncommon), I'd just be too wary to eat it that way.

Huh, I didn't know about those cooking techniques (and forgot about pickled watermelon rinds).

I see lots of perfect condition avocados available where I live, so I looked up why they might be like that where you're at. Turns out the reason for a lot of bruised avocados is rough handling by buyers. A ripe avocado looks exactly the same as an unripe one, and people tend to squeeze avocados to test for ripeness before buying. Problem is that some people squeeze them too hard and damage them. As for rotting on the inside, maybe your local grocers don't keep very good track of how long they've been on the shelves--avocados have a pretty short time between when they're fully ripe and when they start spoiling.

I'd have no idea if you could make avocado skins edible by cooking them...for the most part, I see avocados eaten raw, or mixed into other things raw. I wouldn't want to try it myself without looking it up first either, as I'm scared the toxicity of the pits could seep into the flesh. (I looked it up--some cultivars can be cooked for short periods of time, but after that, the flesh becomes too hard and tough to eat. The Hass avocado, the most common kind, is like this. I couldn't find any reliable information on eating the skin, however. Every recipe I found has you scooping out the flesh and discarding the skin or slicing the whole thing and cutting off the skin. Apparently, the skin contains the same poison as found in the pit, which is also present on the leaves and bark of the tree.)
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Never found any mexican food in Tokyo. There were a few in Osaka that weren't great, but weren't bad. Your best bet is probably just ordering fajita's at the Hard Rock Cafe near Universal Studios...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Mandarake, I've got three boxes from there next to my desk and another two in the mail. Love their 1 yen auctions, I've gotten a bunch of great stuff from there like a complete set of unopened Mini Squid Girl figures for 10 yen and most recently a plush Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai for 1 yen. Shipping is reasonable and more so if you add a few cheap things from the SAHRA shop.

You're right about price of some Haruhi stuff starting to really come down. I've been picking up all sorts of Haruhi figures off Mandarake for a quarter of what they used to go for.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Somehow, a lot of that merchandise in Part 1 look like bootlegs. I'm sure at least some of them are, but they look so weird, and some of them look like they're molded out of a single piece the way Happy Meal toys would be.

Not bootlegs. In the old days that's how a lot of figures were made, just one chunk of soft plastic on a stand. Those figures really went out of style some 15 years ago when cheaper prize figures started to take off in size and quality. Some of the other figures shown, the more expensive ones like the Street Fighter stuff, look to be sofubi or soft vinyl rotocast figures which are ridiculously collectible despite their "charm".

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Not bootlegs. In the old days that's how a lot of figures were made, just one chunk of soft plastic on a stand. Those figures really went out of style some 15 years ago when cheaper prize figures started to take off in size and quality. Some of the other figures shown, the more expensive ones like the Street Fighter stuff, look to be sofubi or soft vinyl rotocast figures which are ridiculously collectible despite their "charm".

Emerje

Huh, I see. I guess I've been spoiled by all the higher quality stuff even on the lower price ends and even for non-Japanese toys.

The packaging for it all still looks incredibly suspicious though. Do they really come shipped in those tiny clear plastic bags?
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been to a good Mexican restaurant in Kokura(Fukuoka). I like Mexican food but I've always thought of it as a 'fancy restaurant' cousine as thats what I'm used to, and because thats kinda expensive I dont get to eat it that much. But most of the 'Mexican' I tried when I visited the US was terrible. The idea of Mexican being 'fast food' is just really surreal to me. I know 'fast food Mexican' is considered a different genre of food entirely from regular Mexican in the US, but it was still bizarre to see it in person. (I did have one really good Mexican place in the US, but I forget the name. Granted it was in Texas, which is a lot closer to Mexico, so that might be why...)
I didn't think that cafe pictured looked bad, just designed by someone who isnt good at graphic design. Looks a lot more appetizing than the 'fast food' Mexican sludgey stuff.
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
... plush Iron Chef Hiroyuki Sakai for 1 yen.
Emerje

What!? That's really a thing?! Do you have any pictures?

Mandarake is really cool in Nakano Broadway. There are about 5 different stores each with a different theme. The only problem is having to limit yourself to things that'll fit in your luggage and not throw off the holiday budget Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I've been to a good Mexican restaurant in Kokura(Fukuoka). I like Mexican food but I've always thought of it as a 'fancy restaurant' cousine as thats what I'm used to, and because thats kinda expensive I dont get to eat it that much. But most of the 'Mexican' I tried when I visited the US was terrible. The idea of Mexican being 'fast food' is just really surreal to me. I know 'fast food Mexican' is considered a different genre of food entirely from regular Mexican in the US, but it was still bizarre to see it in person. (I did have one really good Mexican place in the US, but I forget the name. Granted it was in Texas, which is a lot closer to Mexico, so that might be why...)
I didn't think that cafe pictured looked bad, just designed by someone who isnt good at graphic design. Looks a lot more appetizing than the 'fast food' Mexican sludgey stuff.

If you go to a place with a high Mexican population, you'll find a lot of very good authentic Mexican food (as opposed to Tex-Mex, which is likely what you're thinking of for "Mexican fast food"). Here in southern California, you have barely legitimate portable kitchens on the side of the road selling cheap tacos and burritos (among other things, depending on the people running it) that taste amazing. Related are our taco trucks, the immediate precursors of the modern-day food truck. In any case, since there are so many of these businesses, competition is intense, so they have to keep their quality high and their prices low. (My personal favorite is tacos al pastor, but I know pineapple is a divisive ingredient in savory dishes--asada and lengua (beef tongue) may be safer bets.)

All of this stuff is about as fast food as they come--they're traditionally meant to quickly and reliably serve workers traveling to and from work, and unless it's very busy, you rarely have to wait longer than 5 minutes to get your food. It's a real aversion to the whole "cheap food, quick food, good food--pick two but you can't have all three" rule.

Really, any part of the world where there are people without a lot of time, there will be fast food. Japan has its bento and onigiri. The Middle East has its doner kebab. Russia has its varenyky and pelmeni. Mexico has its tacos and tortas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3