• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:03 pm Reply with quote
So I watched the first episode of Gin no Guardian, a 12 min isekai short of a Chinese web comic and surprisingly it wasn't as terrible as TenCent stuff usually is. The animation was ok, which is different.

However, unless there's a damned good reason for it, naming the hero Suigin Riku and the heroine Rei Riku does not bode well. As of this episode, they appear to be strangers rather than relatives, so I dunno what they were thinking. I'm already confused about who anyone is talking about when they just say Riku. Even if they are long lost cousins or something, that's only going to make it worse, since no one seems to notice they share the same name.

And it has a cat sidekick, which so far is not excruciatingly annoying like the dragon thing in Granblue Fantasy, which otherwise looks promising.

(saving AoT and BHA until after I fix dinner)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Totally forgot to mention this earlier

Nick Creamer wrote:
The Empire is evil, as we know because of the capital E, along with the fact that mascot character Vryn states “I've heard rumors about the Empire. They don't care about what's right or wrong.”

Yeah, right after some of their soldiers threatened a small child at sword point to try to extort her father and the rest of the villagers into cooperating. I think anyone would think them unscrupulous after that.

Also, is it weird I'm not annoyed by the mascot character, since most of the reviewers and a number of commenters are so strongly annoyed by it, to the point of wishing violence on it in some cases? I mean it isn't my favorite such character, even among those voiced by Rie Kugimiya (Happy from Fairy Tail), but still.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
https://twitter.com/somekindofthing/status/848304346269966337

Yup, GBF will be the biggest seller of the Year.
darkdeath174

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
People hating on poor old Vee, yet he and Lyria are the 2 most important characters in Granblue's story.

I'm still wondering how far the story will go, I have a feeling it will end somewhere around Albion.
Karphatos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
darkdeath174 wrote:

I'm still wondering how far the story will go, I have a feeling it will end somewhere around Albion.

With the recent 14 episode announcement, my guess would be they either take their time and end it on Albion, or adapt 2 episodes per island and end it on the Mist-Shrouded Isle.

Anyway, what saddens me about the granblue anime is that it will not reach the interesting parts of the story, given that it will adapt either up to chapter chapter 20 or 24, while the story gets good on chapter 30 or so.
It will sell well enough to guarantee another season to get up to the interesting part (ch 21 or 25 - 40 or 44), and then another one to conclude the first story arc (ch 41 or 45 - 63).
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:31 am Reply with quote
The schedule: https://static.neregate.com/2017/02/neregate.com-Spring-2017-Anime-Chart-v2.jpg
I don´t see any possible surprises but getting 3 confirmed hits will automatically make this one of the best seasons in quite some time.

Atom - The Beginning Tezuka´s work went though many middle of the road reinterpretations during the last decade but this one will live up to his legacy. It´s easy to bring up the more somber Pluto but the best comparison I can give is the anime version of RideBack (the longer manga is way darker). I even noticed touches from Verhoeven´s Robocop in the storytelling and now hope that some of the past works of the manga´s author and artist will get a 2nd life after the show debuts. The Pokemon studio will co-animate here btw. The one that once gave us a good Berserk anime. Oh yeah…

Berserk I give these clowns exactly 1 ep. to show even the basic desire to improve before I leave forever but who am I kidding? We know how this will shake out, so take it with humor.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul The first show was one of the biggest sunrises of this anime decade and the team showed willingness to shelve the unrelated Moe-spin-off to keep the quality up. The developer is apparently interested in the continued positive press for the source game, as the disc sales of the expensive looking show were nothing to be proud of. Art won over commerce but the new subtitle is the worst. The prequel had good female character, so the new protagonist should work out, even if a new writer was assigned this time.

Shingeki no Kyojin Undeniably the thousand pound gorilla in the room. What interests me is how the later parts of the "next" season will be received (this one is only 12 eps.) in the fall. They should stop just before the potentially controversial backstory of the world will be fully addressed. Things will get rather dark and slow by the end of this half season too, with some of the characters (as Levi) showing a nasty side to them too. The TV version of the first anime toned down the manga´s content a bit, so don´t ask me what will happen here.

Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt is started a 2nd ONA season and my interest in the Terra Formars OVA is pretty low, due to them skipping an entire (set up) arc.
Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome should proof interesting due to the director alone and the highly talented Polygon Pictures is finally adapting a manga I care about with Blame!. Resident Evil : Vendetta lastly looks like trashy fun, the 2nd CG film was better than the first too, and they finally bothered to show proper gore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
Watched AOT. Welp, it's more AOT I guess.

I never got into it (though I managed to watch it all) thanks to finding the art style off-putting, never getting attached to the characters, and just finding the titans silly and ridiculous instead of creepy. Got more of the same....though at least the ape titan thing looks less stupid than the human titans? That was an improvement. I'll keep watching to continue following the discourse but...meh.

And holy recap My Hero Academy. I hope it picks up again, this episode was a bit of a chore.

I'm most looking forward to more Natsume Yuujinchou and Eccentric Family 2 Very Happy

Right there with you. I snoozed through the first season of AoT so I don't think I'll be indulging its brand of sloppily paced adolescent horror aspirations this season.

But I'm very excited for the two shows you mentioned. I am always here for more Natsume and I can't wait to see how they follow up the first Eccentric Family, which was an instant favorite.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Alice to Zouroku: I liked it, but my feelings are mixed. Most of the events related to the secret research lab and Alice thing were honestly kinda boring, making the first half of this double-length episode somewhat of a chore. The latter part, however, with Zouroku and Sana talking, Zouroku acting like a grumpy grandpa figure and his no-nonsense approach to life were extremely charming. If the show keeps leaning on that side I'll keep watching; if the show actually uses Zouroku's and Sana's relationship and slice-of-life moments to comment on how nonsensical the Alice premise is, then it might even turn into a favorite!

Let's just... keep the CG work to a minimum. I could tolerate it for the most part, but oh god those cars! And the show seems IN LOVE with those cars! Sad, because there were some neat wind-on-leaves and water effects at the beginning.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Just watched Attack on Titan episode: 26

In the time that has passed since the first season my opinion on AoT has taken a 180-degree-turn. I've gone from absolutely hating it to being a huge fan, and it's now the only manga where 1) I've read every single past chapter and 2) read every new chapter that comes out.

So now I get to be that guy who acts all smug because whilst everyone else is on the edge of their seats I already know what happens. Unless everyone else did the same thing I did and just started reading the manga.

What did I think of the episode? Well, I found that scene were a guy gets his head ripped off pretty satisfying Twisted Evil
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't be bothered with Attack On Titan season two I just don't like the franchise same for My Hero Academia so I don't have an opinion on either of those shows. However I was stoked for Alice & Zoroku and Crunchyroll picked that up.

So far it is pretty a solid first episode and the sound design works and while the idea of human experimentation is kind of an old trope it works because the episode is less focused on a Titanomachy between ESPrs and the relationship between the titular characters.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Kidou Senshi Gundam Thunderbolt is started a 2nd ONA season and my interest in the Terra Formars OVA is pretty low, due to them skipping an entire (set up) arc.

As electrifying as the first series of Thunderbolt was, the concept of internecine jazz-fighting grew stale faster than I expected. Sadly, episode five showed us little of the humanity this show needs for the sake of balance. It is not that there's no representation of the personal stakes and tolls of war, just that such content is relegated to the role of separating each action scene. Major developments only seem to occur on the battlefield or otherwise in extremis, while character drama is secondary. For a series concurrent with 0080, Thunderbolt is fast becoming its polar opposite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
including titles like Elfen Lied and Brynhildr in the Darkness

Funnily enough, they're all from the same mangaka.[/quote]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin on Alice and Zoroku: 2.5/5

Also Theron Martin on Alice and Zoroku: 4/5
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Theron Martin on Alice and Zoroku: 2.5/5

Also Theron Martin on Alice and Zoroku: 4/5

Ha ha, that error was literally up for 30 seconds at most, so you had extremely uncanny timing.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
As electrifying as the first series of Thunderbolt was, the concept of internecine jazz-fighting grew stale faster than I expected. Sadly, episode five showed us little of the humanity this show needs for the sake of balance. It is not that there's no representation of the personal stakes and tolls of war, just that such content is relegated to the role of separating each action scene. Major developments only seem to occur on the battlefield or otherwise in extremis, while character drama is secondary. For a series concurrent with 0080, Thunderbolt is fast becoming its polar opposite.

I think you just described why I liked thunderbolt so much, it's a giant mech show, I want giant mech to be front and center in the story, not winning teenager. (God I so funking love giant mech show where the main character isn't a moody teenager!)

Although to be fair, episode 5 was fairly meh and really does feel like a reheated meal. Thunderbolt was perfectly self contain and didn't really need a direct sequel. I would have rather they adapt or made a new side story in the same universe with the same style or in the 08th MS team style.

Or advance of zeta, but that's just for those awesome mech design.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30