• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mawaru Penguindrum (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Utena's first episode was by no means nearly as good. If anything I'd say it was 20% as enjoyable.

Anyway, if that's incest then it's being really, really well played unlike the oh so obvious, and boring yuri content in Utena.

This could be this season's favorite after Natsume. So far I haven't encountered anything nearly as good and wacky, but I still have both Noitamina shows left and a few more.

Besides, penguins > cats (technically the one from Natsume is a pig, so).
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I am liking this anime even though it is so weird. LOL at that girl in the end of the episode. Only in anime do you get to see a stalker chain....
damien007

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:00 am Reply with quote
Great episode im liking this show more and more. Im gonna take a wild stab in the dark and predict that the penguindrum is spoiler[ringo's diary and it has the power to manipulate (predict or control?) the owners futurE]. Also im predicting now that the new big catchphrase of this season wi-SURVIVAL STRATEGY!.

edit: On second thought it could also be the spoiler[stamp]...

@White: So true the stalker chain isn't quite as good as the one SZS however.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think you're on to something there, dami--SEIZON SENRYAKU~!

I'm not sure yet where this show is going, but if the ride stays this awesome, I won't be disembarking.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
My own personal sanity survival strategy is to watch this slice of awesomeness every week and then buy the shit out of it should it ever get an R1 release. I like that plan. That plan is a good one.
NonoAsumy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
This show is dangerously awesome.
It feels so fresh and sexy.
And I mean human kind of sexy not the objectifying deviant kind of sex (which I am no enemy of... the first kind is just so rare in anime).

Just like Utena still feels fresh even 15 years after its release.

God damn Ikuhara why have you waited so long?

I will watch this show to the end I have dropped every show I started this year at some point (except for Nichijou) but the momentum of these awesome first episodes would bring me through anything even if the next 22 episodes were endless recursions of the Survival Strategy transformation sequence. If I think about it... especially then.
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:19 am Reply with quote
NonoAsumy wrote:
the momentum of these awesome first episodes would bring me through anything even if the next 22 episodes were endless recursions of the Survival Strategy transformation sequence. If I think about it... especially then.
My thoughts exactly.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
The end of episode 2 was so deliciously creepy. I was getting slightly tired of the brothers hijinks, but the end definitely justified the means.

I really wonder where the plot of this is going to go, particularly with all of the not-yet-introduced characters from the opening.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Hmm I have a feeling the diary isn't necessarily the drum, but more belonged to the queen controlling Himari, and has the ability to alter the fate of the person using it. It could also be the stamp since it has the apple symbol on it, maybe like if you stamp it, it will come true because of destiny.

I think it belongs to the queen because it has a whole bunch of penguins everywhere on it, and if you looked atthe pages it has a penguin crossed out, which I think is a foreshadowing of spoiler[ one of the brothers' death, since each penguin represents the brothers and Himari]

I really freaking love this show, best thing since Madoka.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Really ramped the comedy up for episode three, but it fit in well. I'm definitely still hooked on this show. Great episode. The additional buildup of the fate theme (and the milk drinking scene) were great--funny, but still with serious meaning attached.

And is it just me or does the pacing of this show seem to be zooming along pretty quickly for the first quarter of a 24 episode series?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Finally, I have series that will provide me with a weekly portion of fabulousness. Very Happy

Quote:
And is it just me or does the pacing of this show seem to be zooming along pretty quickly for the first quarter of a 24 episode series?

Really? I think that the pace slows down in the last two episodes. The brothers have a mission to obtain the drum and fail to do it. The second and third episode don't move the plot forward, but it's hardly noticeable that the pace is slower, because everything is presented in such an awesome way.

I'm intrigued by this character with pink hair that resembles Utena. Does anyone know who she/he is?
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, just seems like things are moving along; they're spending time on the comedy, but stuff is happening, and the plot seems to be steadily going. Maybe it's just that the episodes are so darn enjoyable that it just feels like they're flying by.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:33 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Maybe it's just that the episodes are so darn enjoyable that it just feels like they're flying by.

Yes, that's what I think and what I wanted to say.
stinknasty344

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Yea I feel like the pacing has slowed down as well, I think they are taking priority i creating depth for the characters now, while still adding a bit of symbolism in everything. The first episode was the most packed with these last two having little hints.

Definitely my favorite show of the season so far.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one disappointed they didn't show Himari yelling Survival Strategy? Watching them have a conversation, zoom out to show Himari wearing the hat, and the zoom in on Himari's face for her to have that "Oh, yea" look that leads into a SEIZON SENRYAKU! will never cease to be awesome. The voice actress has also gotten a lot better at saying it since the first time; she's much more femGAR now when she does it.

I also think it's pretty clear the drum is that book that apparently has the "future" written down in it. I put future in quotes because the ED's lyrics seem to indicate that the future isn't "always written in stone". After watching Madoka, I learned that sometimes, theme songs can be more than just theme songs and can actually be hints that relate to the show, and this one seems to be the same way. Now, as for what the drum actually is, I have no real, educated guess. I'm thinking it's a magic book that understands the hopes and dreams of the owner and writes out their desired destiny.

If the owner happens to be psycho, well, who knows what the hell will happen. Will they try to act out the book no matter what because that's how it's supposed to be, or will they buck the trend and become their own man/woman? Ringo is apparently a very strong believer of the former, but she could be turned to follow the latter, especially if Emperor Himari has her way.

I love how it's like Gurren Lagann in how it's basically about defying fate and making your own destiny, or at least that's how it seems right now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14