• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Grimoire of Zero, Kabukibu! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I think CR-Funi partnership was a response to the sky rocketing of license prices, which they might have caused with their aggressive bidding. If Amazon was going to make big push on anime, I rather seeing working alongside Sentai than just doing things in their own.

Some of you might get the impression that I am looking at the Amazon-Sentai partnership with rosy eyes, but I also want CR-Funi to do well. I want to see them, alongside Netflix, engage in a healthy competition that bring more money to the anime industry and benefits the fans.

Except for a previously uninterested, non-invested, 3rd party company coming in and using their buying power to completely undermine the largest international Anime community which is already very niche, is not "Healthy Competition"... While myself and 1 million other users pay for Crunchyroll's subscription, the vast majority of their userbase are free users watching with ADs. CR pays the anime industry for every view of their episode, which goes directly back to industry. Taking away all those free views for shows hurts the industry, not helps it, as the same amount of viewers aren't going to pay to watch the show on Amazon. And what about when CR subs drop below 1 million? 500,000? 250,000? Hope it's worth having "healthy competition" then.

You want to know how to destroy any industry? Take a small market with an organized buyer base, introduce a massive company to destroy the existing agreements with money. Then watch it crumble as they walk away when it's not profitable anymore.

What you describe can just as easily happen with CR. Don't forget that they are ultimately by AT&T and a private investment firm. If CR doesn't make enough profits, or starts to lose money, they will easily pull the plug. Online music and streaming services with more subscribers and users have been shut down. Don't get some rose colored delusion that CR isn't a company and is simply streaming anime out of the goodness of their hearts. They are a business and need to make money.

And the tota number of views don't mean much, if those views aren't generating enough revenue. Sentai switched some of their simulcasts to Hulu because their made more money from the ads there than they were with CR and TAN. If CR is only offering a fraction of the money that Amazon does, even with ads, then it doesn't make sense to sell shows to them, especially considering that CR competes directly with them for licenses and now home video releases.

If eye balls and views were all that mattered, then everyone would just upload their videos on YouTube an drew call it a day. They don't because it just doesn't pay enough money.

Removed overquoting. --willag
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Please join me in prayer so that Amazon will think Anime Strike is a bust and abbandon it as soon as possible. I really do hope they get out of the anime business.

One of the more depressing thoughts I've had on this is that Amazon can afford to keep it up for multiple seasons if they want. Like I said before, people really do need to vote with their wallets because Strike needs to flop hard financially for Amazon to take notice.

Isn't getting rid of Strike and putting everything on regular Prime a good option instead of wishing this venture to just flop? I also wish all this anime was in Prime, but I plan to support Strike as long as the service keeps growing, and I keep subscribing to Prime. If I get tired of paying $170 a year, I can just subscribe for a month or two a year to Prime and Strike and binge watch; I don't need to watch simulcasts they day they come out.

gabuhaha wrote:
I understand that Sentai needed a partner but the double paywall on Amazon is just ridiculous.
I for one did not want to see Sentai become the next NIS America. Sentai was getting desperate with their recent struggles to acquire new content. I cannot fault them for partnering up with wealthy Amazon.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
It honestly feels like Amazon is stockpiling and feel good about themselves to see the shiny new anime titles on their shelf without really understanding the core audience for anime WILL or CAN'T pay for Strike.

I retired my sea legs and stopped being a pirate for couple years now but I don't know, the high seas seem to be calling me...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
The US anime industry is in a weird place right now and I can't wait to see how things develop.

Me every year since 1995. Any time it gets to an area of flat ground, something happens and the whole system goes belly up until it reaches another moment of standstill.

I think I'm mixing my metaphors but it sill stands or sinks or whatever.
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Well there goes my most anticipated show of the season have been looking forward to zero for awhile now. I'm going to have so much free time this spring I'm not going to know what to do with myself.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been asked again about contacting Amazon since most of their help system is geared towards providing canned answers.

This is how to send an email to Amazon thru their help system. ( It Ain't Easy! )

From Amazon home page look for the menu that starts with Browsing History and ends with Help, click on Help.

Scroll to bottom of the Help page and select Need More Help. From the options that appear to the right click on Contact Us.

If you aren't logged in you will be prompted to do so.

On the Contact Us page click on the Prime or Something Else button.

Leave the first section (#1) alone. Go to the second section (#2) and use the drop down to select More Non-order Questions. Drop downs will keep appearing as we get closer to the email window appearing.

Next drop down select Give Amazon Feedback.

Third and final drop down select Opportunities for Improvement.

You can now click on the E-Mail button and will get a window to type your message into.

Please be respectful and clear about your reaction to how Amazon is handling the double paywall.

Mark Gosdin
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
If they get Bahamut, I'm going to flip out and not in a good way.

I know some people said they already did, but as far as I know that's only Amazon of Japan.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

One of the more depressing thoughts I've had on this is that Amazon can afford to keep it up for multiple seasons if they want. Like I said before, people really do need to vote with their wallets because Strike needs to flop hard financially for Amazon to take notice.

Isn't getting rid of Strike and putting everything on regular Prime a good option instead of wishing this venture to just flop? I also wish all this anime was in Prime, but I plan to support Strike as long as the service keeps growing, and I keep subscribing to Prime. If I get tired of paying $170 a year, I can just subscribe for a month or two a year to Prime and Strike and binge watch; I don't need to watch simulcasts they day they come out.

I never said that anime on Prime by itself was a bad thing. I believe most people responding take issue with it being placed behind two paywalls, rather than one. Amazon seems willing to place anime with regular Prime videos elsewhere, and I doubt if they would drop these shows entirely if Strike didn't pan out.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I never said that anime on Prime by itself was a bad thing. I believe most people responding take issue with it being placed behind two paywalls, rather than one.

I did not mean to characterize you as being against anime being on Prime. I also want to believe that most of the people upset are complaining about the double paywall. But some of the most ardent complainers seems to be upset about having to pay for yet another service and are also mad that filthy rich Amazon is threatening to destroy our beloved hobby.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I for one did not want to see Sentai become the next NIS America. Sentai was getting desperate with their recent struggles to acquire new content. I cannot fault them for partnering up with wealthy Amazon.

I can't fault them for that either. I have no problem with the idea of them putting it on Amazon. I just can't support the double paywall. As soon as they get rid of that, I will happily pay for Amazon Strike. Until then, I will be devoting time to other things since the two shows that I was most interested in are on Strike.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
I never said that anime on Prime by itself was a bad thing. I believe most people responding take issue with it being placed behind two paywalls, rather than one.

I did not mean to characterize you as being against anime being on Prime. I also want to believe that most of the people upset are complaining about the double paywall. But some of the most ardent complainers seems to be upset about having to pay for yet another service and are also mad that filthy rich Amazon is threatening to destroy our beloved hobby.

I can get people being upset about having to pay for both Prime and Strike; I really do. I also ageee that it's not ideal, and Amazon really should consider offering it as a stand alone service, even though that would almost undoubtedly cost more than if you have Prime.

But I do see a lot of people posting, here and elsewhere, that just want everything on CR for their own convenience. Whether one likes it or not, that's just not the way entertainment works. Plus, you have to question allowing one company to having a complete monopoly, even in a niche market such as anime, is a good thing in the long run. Without other commercial competition, they only to worry about pirate sites. They don't have to worry about improving their service as much, or more competition for licenses in Japan. They could even gain enough power to dictate terms to Japan. Not to mention, less money in licensing fees means less money flowing back to support production there.

Honestly, I always have and always will prefer buying the home video releases, and don't do anywhere near the amount of streaming that others here do. I would prefer that there be more financially stable distributors. I really love the collector's edition that Sentai puts out, and I really miss the ones that NISA puts out, and the fact that Nozomi doesn't do as many as they use too. Being able to buy most of Sentai's regular Bluray for under $40 on Amazon is also a big plus. The majority of the ones that's Funimation puts out just don't compare, but I do appreciate the fact that they dub most of their releases. I don't mind subtitled releases, but my boyfriend doesn't have the attention span for them. Wink

The number of streaming sites and simulcasts is definitely directly related to the number of strong R1 distributors, and I much prefer a model that allows Sentai to continue with their releases and collector's editions, while also leaving plenty of space for Funimation. Amazon's not ideal, but I will take it over handing virtually the entire market over to Funimation or Crunchyroll. Though I wouldn't mind seeing NISA jumping back in either. Wink
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I can't fault them for that either. I have no problem with the idea of them putting it on Amazon. I just can't support the double paywall. As soon as they get rid of that, I will happily pay for Amazon Strike. Until then, I will be devoting time to other things since the two shows that I was most interested in are on Strike.

This is a much more reasonable approach, and it's nice to see. But the best way to make sure Amazon knows how you feel, and that you would be willing to pay for Strike, is to email their customer service and letting them know. Complaining on an anime forum probably won't get you anywhere. While the R1 companies do regularly check here and others, as do some on the Japense side, I wouldn't bet on Amazon doing the same.
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This is bull, I'm not paying twice for anime. I bought a lot of blurays from Sentai because they were on Crunchyroll. Over the years I haven't bought that many from Funimation. Since they were not on Crunchyroll. So I was not cognizant of most of Funimations titles. I don't need anime, it's not that important. Paying double for streaming anime is a waste of money.

Last edited by jree78 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

This is a much more reasonable approach, and it's nice to see. But the best way to make sure Amazon knows how you feel, and that you would be willing to pay for Strike, is to email their customer service and letting them know. Complaining on an anime forum probably won't get you anywhere. While the R1 companies do regularly check here and others, as do some on the Japense side, I wouldn't bet on Amazon doing the same.
That is what I did but it still won't bring me my simuldubs so I'm sad. Also I doubt they have any intention of making it a standalone service. They really want everyone in the world to be a prime member and that works against that goal.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

That is what I did but it still won't bring me my simuldubs so I'm sad. Also I doubt they have any intention of making it a standalone service. They really want everyone in the world to be a prime member and that works against that goal.

Maybe, but it's really hard to say. Early llast year, it would have been hard to imagine them offering streaming as a standalone service after years of insisting that you had to get the whole subscription. It wasn't all that long ago that they refused to offer monthly subscriptions to Prime as well. They're willing to change as the business climate dictates. But to realize that there is a market of non-Prime subscribers willing to pay for Strike, they have to be made aware of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6