• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANiUTa President Comments on Decline of Anime & Anime Music Industries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Having quite a bit of Japanese DVD/Blu-rays and cd's myself i never really thought about the fact that i might have contributed more to it then the average Japanese !!!
However when it comes to books that logic might not apply books still sell great in Japan and art books seem to be really doing well over there as well.
Which does make you think about the space issue you need space for that to !!!
Being in the middle of Tokyo where most stuff even get's sold i can see the space issue being a big thing ... You would be way better of with a big collection outside of it.

But it be intresting to see that maybe within 10+ years even, the Japanese market might not even matter as much and others take over at least for anime and so the music these record labels like Avex really need to get it together about international rights already !!!

But selling cd's really the Japanese just put out CD's for everything nobody else in the world doing that anymore !!! that's pretty bizzare but once in a while i might pick up a Japanese CD so i don't mind.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
Heibi wrote:
Nendroids range in price from 30-40 dollars US if you convert the Yen price. That's about half the cost of their Blu-rays and DVDs. But not something the average kid can just go in and buy. Shirts and clothing are also expensive in Japan, ranging from 25-70 dollars US when converted from Yen. Clothes almost rival the cost of Blu-ray and DVD. CD prices range from 15-30 dollars usually.

The one thing I can say, having bought Blu-rays, DVDs, CDs, and LDs from Japan is that the product and extras sometimes included are far better the US release. The art on the packaging and little extras are incredible. Would be nice if more was on the video formats but I prefer the quality I get from Japan. I'd love it if they did more direct to subtitle releases.

Just want to chime in when I was in Tokyo a week ago, anime T-shirts price range in Japan is pretty much what Heibi described. A single/dual color print T-shirt is about 3000 yen and a full color graphic T-shirt of currently popular character is 6000 yen. I was tempted to buy full graphic T-shirt of Re: Zero's Rem in bikini from Gamers store in Akihabara, but my heart is on this t-shirt instead:

http://www.infinitedayo.jp/shop/work/shirobako/sr052.html

Anyway, just as Heibi descrbied, Japanese BD, DVD, CD, etc packaging and extra are far better than US release. They don't mess around with package graphic design and extras. People in the states are getting stoked about some mini artbook included in their plain US release anime BD/DVD boxset, but those are nothing. Plus Japanese sell their used, mint/near-mint condition anime BD, DVD, CD for 30%-50% of original retail price. So I bought used mint condition Neon Genesys Evangelion TV BD-box for 23000 yen with Amazon exclusive Danbo toy. I don't know how much ANN's Zac BERTSCHY spent on his Evangelion TV BD-box, but I hope he didn't spent more than 30000 yen on it. Also I bought brand new, unopened complete collection of Oreimo BD singles set with Gamer's exclusive chipboard box for 6600 yen. Not to mention unpopular anime DVD's go for 400 yen to 600 yen per volume.

Although I'm not into toys, used figurines of popular anime figurine priced 400 yen all because box was opened or damaged.

Anyway, after having visited Tokyo and bought stuffs, I'm not going to buy a single Japanese stuff from whatever anime sellers in the States or Amazon Japan. It's better to save that money for purchases over there.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He also noted that it is important to cater to the needs of international anime fans.

Perhaps, but the language barrier is an immense obstacle when it comes to music. There's a huge difference between watching an anime with English subtitles and listening to a song in a language I can't understand.

If the music side of the industry wants to reach out to international fans, a quick first step would be making it easier for companies like Crunchyroll to subtitle the OP and ED songs. I see complaints all the time about the lack of subtitles for those songs, but the fact is that obtaining the rights to do so is nearly impossible. As an example, Sakamichi no Apollon has subtitled songs on CR, but it took half the season before the music companies signed off on the translations Sam Pinansky submitted when he subbed the show for Crunchy. It's simply not worth the effort to do that for a couple dozen shows every season.

Unfortunately music rights holders are typically the most recalcitrant intellectual property groups in all countries. Expecting them to change their practices any time soon is a pipe dream.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
If the music side of the industry wants to reach out to international fans, a quick first step would be making it easier for companies like Crunchyroll to subtitle the OP and ED songs. I see complaints all the time about the lack of subtitles for those songs, but the fact is that obtaining the rights to do so is nearly impossible. As an example, Sakamichi no Apollon has subtitled songs on CR, but it took half the season before the music companies signed off on the translations Sam Pinansky submitted when he subbed the show for Crunchy. It's simply not worth the effort to do that for a couple dozen shows every season.

Unfortunately music rights holders are typically the most recalcitrant intellectual property groups in all countries. Expecting them to change their practices any time soon is a pipe dream.

It depends on the companies - do you know which music company needed to give approval for the Sakamichi no Apollen OP?

For music of anime companies (Lantis, Flying Dog, King, 5pb...) they should be used to providing approvals for OP / ED translations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2