• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Martian Successor Nadesico Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
It's been so long since I've seen Nadesico. Bought the first DVD's my second year of Otakon in 2001. Took me several years to complete the series. Looking back all I can remember is...I liked Vandread better. Did anyone re-release Vandread? I can't remember.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
My point wasn't that the "no heroes or villains" thing comes out of nowhere, but it is picked up halfway through the show after a major plot reveal and it reprioritizes the show's themes in a way that doesn't quite track. That the plot only gets more convoluted as the show goes on doesn't help - not to mention all of this being undermined by the main character's basic narrative.

I agree that it upsets some the viewer expectation of the show's themes, but I think it's a pretty natural development. The earliest stages of dealing with different perspectives are clearly seen starting in the third episode where Aoi Jun tries to prevent them from going through the Big Barrier. That the show gets itself lost in its admiration for its tropes and inspiration (much as all the ostensibly antiwar Gundam shows end up being about selling cool war mecha, and about characters with unusual special powers) only makes the reveal work.

For that matter, the ending absolutely does not demonstrate that "Akito's special power determines the fate of all." His special power determines the fate of Ines, Akito, and to some degree Yurika and some of the other shipmates. Everything isn't determined, and wrapping up all those plotlines would be even more unrealistic. The fate of the war itself is more determined by Minato and the Shiratori siblings than anything Akito did.

So I disagree that any of the ideas are abandoned (though they do not resolve definitively the tension about whether it is useful to be inspired by unrealistic fiction), though the plotlines certainly are.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:
I recognize a lot of the problems that Zac mentioned, though I think my reaction to them is less severe.

Nadesico is still just one of those shows I can come back to every few years, watch in three sittings, and enjoy.

This is my roughly my position as well. Nadesico's clashing themes and overburdened plotline cannot be disregarded, but its charm is most often enough to result in a net positive. Nearly every crew member is sufficiently distinctive to grant a certain personality to each episode, and their character interplay, moulded after the quintessential clichés of mecha anime though it is, often helps a forgiving viewer withstand each tonal shift. Perhaps the show's lasting forte lies in its ability to disavow any of its dramatic shortcomings simply by being so quick to jettison the pretences of seriousness, as if levity simply fits its collection of oddballs even when its capacity to induce laughter is limited.

More so than the likes of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor or Outlaw Star, the Nadesico's titular ship is somewhere I would like to see as the setting for a slice-of-life series. With such a large cast, I felt that more could have been written for the likes of Ryoko, Izumi and Hikaru—to give but three examples—without the need for a wider conflict or any fleeting love interests.

Quote:
But would I show it off to a friend or significant other and say "This is anime"? No way. Partly because I tried to do exactly that with a college girlfriend, who watched three episodes and said "I never want to watch anime again."

I see Nadesico as a litmus test of sorts. If one can put up with how it is written and presented, knowing where to cast a critical eye and where to turn a blind one, then one is set to gain an optimal appreciation of the majority of anime with a similar setting. For the sake of comparison, I should note that I would hesitate to say the same thing of any Gundam series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Just give me all the relevant animation and special features you can reasonably dig up, in one box, on bluray and I'm happy. Now do this for Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

According to Right Stuf Utena is coming out on BD this year. I hope Nozomi's BD's look great because I have heard that the Japanese BD's look like garbage.

If money is the main reason why Evangelion has not been released on BD in North America, perhaps now Sentai can ask its rich friend Amazon to pay for the license.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Zac wrote:
Just give me all the relevant animation and special features you can reasonably dig up, in one box, on bluray and I'm happy. Now do this for Neon Genesis Evangelion and Revolutionary Girl Utena.

According to Right Stuf Utena is coming out on BD this year. I hope Nozomi's BD's look great because I have that the Japanese BD's look like garbage.

If money is the main reason why Evangelion has not been released on BD in North America, perhaps now Sentai can ask its rich friend Amazon to pay for the license.

With the movies doing well, and it being out of print for a while, I imagine classic Eva will be an expensive license. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sentai didn't even attempt for it, with or without Amazon's help. You can still find old ADV sets pretty affordable after all, and Amazon seems more interested in new shows and fairly recent dubs. Prime may have some classic shows like Rahxephon, but almost everything on Striike is relatively recent. FMA:B may be the oldest show on the service.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With the movies doing well, and it being out of print for a while, I imagine classic Eva will be an expensive license. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sentai didn't even attempt for it, with or without Amazon's help. You can still find old ADV sets pretty affordable after all, and Amazon seems more interested in new shows and fairly recent dubs.

Still, Evangelion is a big deal property, and plenty of fans would want it on BD, and might be willing to pay a lot for it. I know that I would pay $150-200 for a special edition set that has the series and the End of Evangelion movie.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
With the movies doing well, and it being out of print for a while, I imagine classic Eva will be an expensive license. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sentai didn't even attempt for it, with or without Amazon's help. You can still find old ADV sets pretty affordable after all, and Amazon seems more interested in new shows and fairly recent dubs.

Still, Evangelion is a big deal property, and plenty of fans would want it on BD, and might be willing to pay a lot for it. I know that I would pay $150-200 for a special edition set that has the series and the End of Evangelion movie.

I'm well aware of that. However, I'm still inclined to think that they may ask more for the property than it may really be worth today. ADV passed on EoE during the height of Eva's popularity, despite having the show. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Sentai take the same approach today.
partially

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Zac wrote:
?! I've never heard anyone praise the show for being "progressive". Do you have any recollection of what they said then?

The most vivid example I can remember people talking about back then was the stuff between Hikaru and Uribatake in episode 17. It really captured the whole "just because I'm a woman interested in the same hobby as you, that doesn't mean you can hit on me" frustration that geek women often feel while engaging in perceived masculine nerd culture activities.

It was considerably more nuanced - and less purposefully antagonistic - than the "just because I'm a woman, that doesn't mean I can't do ____" themes of the show's contemporaries, which often took much more of a "very special episode about feminism" approach to non-romantic interactions between men and women.

There is also is the recognition that although the women characters do act ridiculous at times, one has to remember that they also have all have the important positions on the Nadesico. The captain IS a female which is very unusual. Along with much of the bridge crew and the head doctor, the head doctor is another one that is very rarely female. And there is actually a pretty healthy gender balance on the Nadesico. I would in no way say that the anime had a preoccupation with putting women down any more than the men. The females do tend to get more screen time. But then a lot of the comedy cues seem to be coming from sources like Tenchi Muyo!, hardly a great source of PC comedy. Haven't watched in a while though, so this will be a good chance to go back.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

The lapsing of Eva would be more to do with Studio Khara not wanting it out while the rebuild movies are ongoing. I doubt that the series will be re-licensed until after the last movie comes out (whenever that is!).
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico is a raw gem to be sure. I find most of Xebec's later mecha work to be better with Argevollen being the notable case of being worse. I haven't seen anything Fafner though.

Still, it had a lot of heart, and I actually don't have much issue with how it tied itself up. The ride to get there was certainly bumpy to say the least.

As far as old space opera anime go, I'd say go for Captain Tylor. Ignore the OVAs though, they end on a pretty bad cliffhanger.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
eely225 wrote:

But would I show it off to a friend or significant other and say "This is anime"? No way. Partly because I tried to do exactly that with a college girlfriend, who watched three episodes and said "I never want to watch anime again."

Wow...
I'm torn as far as the reaction of some women to anime goes.
Fortunately, the nice girls generally DO like anime... You know, the ones who DON'T hold your gender against you?
It's like anything -- there's intelligently written stuff and poorly thought out things, there's American and Japan POV's.

The fact that these are Japanese should be a hint it's NOT going to be written with an American POV. If some girls can't understand that -- well! They wouldn't like Cutie Honey, either, and I think she's far from being one the annoying girl characters, too. That still wouldn't be enough for some people who have an unreasonable vision of the "perfect woman." You can't win with some women... or men as it seems from some of these reviews.

I had an instructor in a class a while back who was a very hard-nosed feminist. She hated anime based on ONE OR TWO shows. She was a close-minded twit in my opinion to make a snap-judgment like that. Unfortunately, in an academic environment, you generally have to keep your mouth shut around people like that because they control your grade. You cannot convince these people to be open-minded or check things out once they're soured... It's a shame for them. I would suggest NOT getting involved romantically with someone like that, period, because she's probably going to hold your gender against you at some point in the future! I'm not a huge fan of PC, feminazi politics, or the Shonen Jump Weekly nonsense and frankly don't want to see that infiltrate and RUIN anime like identity politics has the culture at large in the West.

Likewise, not every female anime character is written as a Mary Sue OR girl in distress OR complete airhead... There are many different types and some of the strongest female characters I've seen written who AREN'T Mary Sues have been in Japanese productions, too. Unfortunately, the feminists who checked out after ONE show aren't going to stick around and see this for themselves.

As far as Nadesico concerned, the TV series is far from being the most realistic show out there. It' a comedy series and it's NOT supposed to be!!! Barring a major death towards the beginning of the series, I'd call it a parody of most things Macross and Gundam. It does a pretty good job with this but gets oddly melancholy at times. The Nadesico movie? It might as well be set in a different universe because it has such a different tone to it... Beautiful production values but the characters might as well have different names because some of them act so differently from the lighter-hearted TV series. There are also important plot developments between the TV and the motion picture which were only covered by animation that was created exclusively for a Sega Dreamcast Nadesico game, and, of course, that game was never localized for the West so the already disjointed feel and disconnect between the TV series and movie is worse for the lack of the game connection.
I thought the TV series was fairly highly quality when I watched the DVDs ADV put out... I'd still be tempted to buy it again on Blu ray for the increased video quality. I had a good time watching it back then. I can say honestly I don't remember much of it(!) but a negative reaction was NOT something I had unlike my original reaction to EVA and many shows of the late 1990s.

I honestly don't know what side of the bed the reviewer woke up on BUT please check out your PC and Shonen Jump Weekly privileges and try to watch the series with an open mind!

The show's NOT that bad. It's at least a solid B. I'd rate it B- at worst but I thought it was worth the ride back then...
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Nadesico was one of my favourite series when I was young and was a very important part of my life, so a part of me desperately wants to defend it, but if I think logically about it, I don't think I'd want to watch it nowadays because it probably wouldn't be as good. I feel like I'll just cling to my nostalgia goggles for this one out of fear of ruining my precious memories of the series.

When I hear Gai died in episode 3, it always bewilders me because it felt like we'd been with him for so much longer.
I also remember the big reveal about the Jovian Lizards being a shock for me...

But I was like 10 when I watched it so it's not like I had heaps to compare it with, nor the analytical power to really think deeply about the plot devices and tropes of the series.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:

Wow...
I'm torn as far as the reaction of some women to anime goes.
Fortunately, the nice girls generally DO like anime... You know, the ones who DON'T hold your gender against you?

If you judge whether or not someone is "nice" based on whether or not they like the same media you do, then you're just begging to be disappointed. If I refused to date people who hate Pretty Little Liars or Grey's Anatomy, I'd have a pretty lonely life.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to be the outlier here. Wouldn't be the first time. Wink

I've been watching the Blu ever since it arrived (and it looks and sounds great, BTW), and I'm enjoying it as much as when I last looked at it some ten years ago. True, Nadesico will never win any awards for narrative cohesion. Also true that it has a truly classic "wait, that's it?" ending. But there are a handful of shows on my list where I can set all that aside and just enjoy what's there. For me, Nadesico will always be a happy fun ball of chaotic characters and otaku in-jokes.

"Idiots." You and me both, Ruri-Ruri.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

According to Right Stuf Utena is coming out on BD this year. I hope Nozomi's BD's look great because I have heard that the Japanese BD's look like garbage..

Don't know where you got that idea.
Aside from a little aliasing, a lot less than Nadesico, it looks quite good. I'd expect the Nozomi BDs to be very similar.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4