• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Correction, Himawari was playing her grandfather, Minato.

Oh right, yeah. I'd forgotten what the play was about by the time they got back to it. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ep 274

So a new arc and one that Boruto will actually be in! It caught my attention right away because of the search for the 1000 Mile (km, whatever) Hawk to deliver messages. I've been watching a donghua called Bai Yao Pu and one of the early stories in the first season was about Marsh Fairies who deliver letters for people they serve. They're fine if they deliver at normal speeds, but if they express deliver a letter by traveling a thousand miles in one night, an ability they pride themselves on, they die of exhaustion (which they aren't aware will happen). I hope Sasuke's hawk won't suffer such a fate!

Man, that woman shows up in every anime, it seems. Just recently she's been in Eternal Boys as their manager, Fanfare of Adolescence as the MC's manager, Devil is a Part Timer as their landlady, and, maybe the original, Witch of the Waste in Howl's. She might vary her hair color or style, slightly, and wear pearls instead of a pendant, but her weight and that hat are constants.

Since it's so obvious Yuki is an albino (or juvenile) 1K Mile Hawk, I wonder how long this arc will last. They are fond of dragging things out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep 275-7

So I guess it wasn't a 1k Mile Hawk. At any rate, pretty meh filler.

Now we're into the Hunter x Hunter Exam arc I guess, with echoes of Phi Brain thrown in. It's not awful so far, but the deja vu is kinda oppressive. While the solutions to the tests are a bit different, the tests themselves are downright plagiarized.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 282

Oh, no, not another prison infiltration storyline! Gah! Well, at least this time it's Sasuke, and one ep in it's not so terrible as the previous two, even though they're clinging to the prison-tropes lifeline like a blind man in a blizzard. Hope they don't make me eat my words...

Some Kakashi time too, so that's cool. I like the new OP and ED. Looks like the series is growing up a little though, with uncharacteristic violence and bloodshed. I don't think I've seen them have to censor the gore before. I'm not complaining, as I can take it or leave such if it's not blatantly gratuitous, just noticing the shift in tone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep 283

Well, this is a surprise. Not only is there a decent, if still kinda hokey mystery unfolding, but we also get Sakura being competent and useful! And having a sweet moment with Sasuke!

It seemed like Sasuke maybe realized they were being overheard (not that that made them any quieter or more cautious), but you'd think shinobi of their caliber would be more aware of externals.

Next episode: what's in the basement? I bet it's velocititans.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ep 284-6

Despite how much everyone hates Sasuke (and rightfully so, the guy's a psychopathic killer and there's only so much redemption you can expect in one lifetime), I do enjoy his character anyway, as fiction. So this whole arc has been a nice departure for me, and it wasn't half bad. I think my favorite part was Sasuke: Velociraptor Whisperer. Very Happy

Not sure what happened with that ring - did Sakura's chakra activate it, or is it some sort of alarm/homing device Sasuke invested it with? Anyway, it's nice that they could get some alone time together, even if it was short. I think Sarada is fated to be an only child. Smile

Ep 287

New arc rolling in. Looks like Code is Boruto's version of Fushi from To Your Eternity? Isshiki even has the same seiyuu as The Observer! Very Happy Not to mention that he has powers similar to Fushi's ability to go anywhere he's bonded with, and was given a purpose essentially the same as Fushi. There are myriad differences, of course, but it still feels like someone was at least "inspired" by someone. Anyway, this looks like it might be a good one...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:34 am Reply with quote
Ep 291-293

And I guess that's a wrap for Part I! They sure pulled out all the stops for the finale. Great animation, interesting artistic choices, good fight choreography and a decent plot on top of it all.

I was 90% convinced they'd pulled a genjutsu during their battle, since it looked like at one point they were weaving joint hand signs together, but they went one better and came up with a novel explanation I doubt anyone predicted. Good job, nice close-out.

Honestly, it's a wonder the Leaf has any trees left in their territory at all...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 31 of 31