• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Hyouka Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
computerandy9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
After 6 years this is finally getting licensed by an English publisher.
This also improves the chances of a UK or Australian publisher picking it up.

So happy right now. I can finally own this masterpiece on blu-ray.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The missing piece of KyoAni's oeuvre is finally licensed and that's all that matters.

Well, excluding the Munto series, at least, but then again, I've got high hopes that Funimation will rescue the Munto OVAs, series, and film, and release them all in one package, a la their recent announcement of Record Of Lodoss War. It'd be nice to finally get all of Munto in one place.

As for the rest of KyoAni's material, everything up to Myriad Colors Phantom World has been released and/or re-released on Blu-Ray in the last few years with the exception of Air and Kanon, which only have DVD sets from Funi at the moment, so hopefully those get a BD treatment down the line? I'm kind of holding off on buying those just to see if they'll announce BDs this year (considering the KyoAni frenzy that Funi has been on since Haruhi and Lucky Star were announced last year).

Looking at the licenses, Funimation now holds 11 series from KyoAni, against the 6 that Sentai Filmworks holds (Clannad, K-On!, Chunibyo, Beyond The Boundary, Tamako Market, and Amagi Brilliant Park), though oddly enough, all of those series except the first and last listed have films (which were not-so-long ago announced as licensed by Sentai, so those should come out in the next year or so). And speaking of KyoAni films, I hope Funimation licenses High Speed and the 3 upcoming Free! films as well!

It's a shame that Sound! Euphonium, probably one of KyoAni's best works, is stuck being a sub-only collector's edition from Pony Canyon USA, which costs over $240 just to get the first season!!!

I'm so glad Funimation got Hyouka, and are dubbing it. Still a shame they didn't dub Nichijou as well, but I can see how a series like that might be tough to dub (with it's comedy and Japanese-centric humor). I hope the Hyouka home video release includes the OVA as well!

-Marc.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap Funimation...I remember the days when Kanon was like their only KyoAni title Shocked
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Sweet its about time they got this now if they get Osomatsu
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
computerandy9 wrote:
I wouldn't celebrate just yet, Funi's being awfully cagey about what the release format actually will be:
Quote:
The first part will ship on home video on July 4.
No mention of Blu-Ray so far, and the involvement of Kadokawa in the production makes me think this will be yet another "gorgeously-animated show that gets stuck with DVD-only release in North America," as with Red Data Girl. Because there's so much reverse importation risk 5 years after Hyouka aired in Japan Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Apparently it is BD/DVD combo.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
From Funimation's Facebook about an hour ago-
"We know some of you have been waiting for this one for a while… Hyouka is coming to Blu-ray/DVD combo with sub AND an all-new dub from Funimation! Part 1 streets 7/4, and you can pre-order later today. Any KyoAni or sakuga fans out there?"

-Marc.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
I wouldn't celebrate just yet, Funi's being awfully cagey about what the release format actually will be:
No mention of Blu-Ray so far, and the involvement of Kadokawa in the production makes me think this will be yet another "gorgeously-animated show that gets stuck with DVD-only release in North America," as with Red Data Girl. Because there's so much reverse importation risk 5 years after Hyouka aired in Japan Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But the tweet I linked hours ago from Funimation themselves explicitly mentioned a Bluray/DVD release for Hyouka? Unless I completely missed what your referring to.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
computerandy9 wrote:
After 6 years this is finally getting licensed by an English publisher.

It's only been 5 years but yeah, way too long of a wait. Would've preferred a quicker sub-only release, years ago.

Also, why is there suddenly a Hyphen in the title on ANN? This that Funimation ruining the spelling again? Official site and such have it clearly written out as "HYOUKA", no hypen. http://www.kotenbu.com/
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
computerandy9 wrote:
Quote:

Um....about that.....

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/853036414820384768
Quote:
#Hyouka is coming to Blu-ray/DVD--sub AND a new Funimation dub! Part 1 releases 7/4!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Maize Hughes wrote:
YOSH!

I never thought this day would come. I'm so happy.

Same! I loved this series and have held out a tiny ray of hope it would somehow see a release stateside someday. Lo and behold. Very Happy
青白

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This is my most favorite TV anime of ALL TIME, and I am incredibly happy that this is getting an English release. I hope more people out here in the West can appreciate the beauty of this show.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Woooo! This is an instant pre-order/day 1 purchase for me. One of my absolute all-time favorites. Thank you, Funimation! Between this and Your Name, you guys are being very, very good to me this year.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Hyoka getting a NA release! This is a definite buy for me.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh, hell yes! Finally, after 5 years, this is getting licensed. And it getting a dub is just gravy for me. I'm happy that this will hopefully lead to the show getting more popular in the west than it already is.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
computerandy9 wrote:
Quote:

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/853036414820384768

"Awfully cagey", huh? Neutral
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4