• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Atom The Beginning

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I got a chuckle out of Motoko saying Detective Ban was more like "a jack of all trades." Aside from being a detective, he's also been a school teacher (promoted to principal in Naoki Urasawa's Pluto) and martial arts expert. Originally named Shunsuke Ban (Mr. Mustachio in English) and nicknamed Higeoyaji ("moustached old man"), in the anime he became private detective Victor Pompous, then Percival Pompous. In the 80's anime, the English dub called him Albert Duncan, aka Daddy Walrus. Then in 2003 he became Wally Kisaragi.

Peeping Life did a sketch in which Dr. Elefun (Atom's Hiroshi Ochanomizu) asks Higeoyaji what his real name is, and he can't remember. But Hiroshi's had a ton of names too (at least in English), including Dr. Packadermus J. Elefun, Professor Peabody and Dr. O'Shay.

As far as I can tell, the Tsutsumi siblings and Ran are original to this series, although Astroboy did have a little sister named Uran, created by Ochanomizu.
Jake Jung

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I got a chuckle out of Motoko saying Detective Ban was more like "a jack of all trades." Aside from being a detective, he's also been a school teacher (promoted to principal in Naoki Urasawa's Pluto) and martial arts expert. Originally named Shunsuke Ban (Mr. Mustachio in English) and nicknamed Higeoyaji ("moustached old man"), ...

In Atom the Beginning, Shunsaku Ban is the son of the detective, Kensaku Ban. Shunsaku was the teenager yelling "Robots, yeah!" in the first episode, and I assume we are going to see a lot more of him as the show progresses. Given the timeline, I assume the junior Ban is the one who goes on to become Astro Boy's teacher.

http://atom-tb.com/characters/shunsaku.html
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I stand corrected. That's interesting because Shunsuke sometimes had a nephew/assistant named Ken'ichi, or Kenny.

Fwiw, Shunsaku Ban (with a brown mustache) and Kenichi were also in Tezuka's Metropolis. Smile
dash56

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
I want to like this show but so far the OP is the only thing I've enjoyed.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised; this one definitely has a lot of potential. It's fun and pleasant and colorful, but also thoughtful and with some darker edges to it that I imagine will become more pronounced further down the line. Also, that opening is great. This season is strong on its openings in general, it seems.

Yeah I'm really liking this and the OP is fantastic.

Not just openings too, there's a lot of great full soundtracks going on this season as well. Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I agree that episode 4 wasn't all that stellar (especially coming on the heels of a really good episode 3), but I don't quite get the complaint that the show is moving too slow. This is a two-cour series that doesn't particularly need impressive ratings or sales (being an NHK production) so it can afford not to be desperate to hook audiences, and take its sweet time getting wherever it's planning to eventually get. And it's only episode 4 - there's still 20 episodes remaining. Sometimes a show doesn't want to grab you and spirit you away on an adventure, opting instead to follow its own pace.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader I'm a little disappointed at how I.G is handling this.

The first two episodes had some scenes switched around and some other things changed for the worse, these past two episodes have been anime original, and while it looks like they're adapting chapter 3 next episode, I'm not sure how they intend to reconcile the contradictions they've created with episode 3.

SHD wrote:
This is a two-cour series

I think it's only 12 episodes.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
As a manga reader...

Aaaaarrrrggghhhh, let's stop this complaining. See? This is why I say that western anime viewers are brainwashed to believe that a faithful adaptation means a good one. Come back to me and tell me if Mirai Nikki and Taboo Tattoo were good because of this.

On topic, this series has the same thing as Young Jack Black: Both are episodic prequels, but they don't feel much as prequels, but rather as what-if scenarios for these Tezuka characters. Also this series seems to have a less interesting episodic hooks than YBJ. But I like what it's doing so far. But yeah, I.G better step up their game. And is it confirmed to be a 2-cour series?
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Come back to me and tell me if Mirai Nikki and Taboo Tattoo were good because of this.

Well yeah if you adapt a bad source material your anime is most likely going to be bad no matter what, but most of the time when an anime diverts from it's source it makes the adaptation worse, and the diversions I.G has made from the manga have made this show worse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Elements of its slow-paced slice-of-life robot-building story work, like Hiroshi geeking out over the idea of Six in a maid outfit and the guys' friendship and foreshadowing elements.

Um, I dunno... Considering where Hiroshi and Six's relationship ends up, his geeking out there was just a tad creepy. Smile

That chip must weigh a ton to not get vibrated off the table during the udon punching.

I'm not hating this yet or anything, but I agree that it's using its world-building time on pretty mundane things.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 am Reply with quote
Alternative Ice wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:
Come back to me and tell me if Mirai Nikki and Taboo Tattoo were good because of this.

Well yeah if you adapt a bad source material your anime is most likely going to be bad no matter what, but most of the time when an anime diverts from it's source it makes the adaptation worse, and the diversions I.G has made from the manga have made this show worse.

I can only think of one example where an adaptation changed for the better: Twelve Kingdoms. The novels are pretty great, but the anime makes Yoko's two arcs a *lot* better with the inclusion of two additional characters. In the beginning they mostly just serve as a way to drive home just how bizarre the new setting is, and the elevate the tension of many scenes--IE trying to survive as a group is more difficult than surviving alone, and then there's the inter-party conflict because none of them are friends)--and by the end of the second arc their presence really resonated well with the overall themes, even if their presence didn't feel entirely natural. No matter how you justify it, it's really hard to see a revolver in a medieval setting without raising an eyebrow.

Anyway, the general approach to adaptations that the Japanese take to adaptation is to, you know, make changes. Because if you don't make changes and the adaptation is just like the original... then what's the point of the adaptation in the first place? I think there's definitely something to be said for allowing the artists working on the adaptation to exercise their own creativity, and there's just as much to be said for giving the fans something new.

Obviously this isn't always going to work, and the better the original material the less likely it is to work, but I think it's a fairly laudable goal. Most adaptations tend to respect the original material even if they deviate from it (kind of the opposite of what we've got going in the West) and... I'm okay with that.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiroshi geeking out over the idea of Six in a maid outfit

This part really weirded me out the most more than anything else in the episode. As for Ran in a maid outfit attracting slightly older guys...well it's Japan, you know how it works. XD
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
This latest episode with the traffic incident does indeed appear to be well timed with both the ransomeware craziness and the concern that "robots will one day replace us all". It's funny though, since we complain about not wanting to do the most physically taxing jobs anymore because it's too much work, yet we get very angry and offended when we see a robot doing a "man's job".

I have to admit the most tense part of the episode was spoiler[the danger of Six going berserk; I half-believed it for a moment].
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Plus now I kind of want a rotary dial for my cellphone

While there are a number of rotary dialer apps for both iOS and Android and phone cases with rotary dials on them, AFAIK there are not commercially available rotary dial cell phones. Some people have made their own though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Six, Hiroshi, and Umataro are all working for Marushige Moving ... to prove ... that Six has value as a person in his own right.

Six doesn't care, and Hiroshi and Rin are the only ones who really see Six as a person. Umataro just wants to prove that his theories and invention are amazing (and therefore so is he).

Quote:
If the guys hadn't done anything, would it have just stopped at the same time as all the other berserk bots? Or would it have crashed into the inevitable school bus full of elementary schoolers in its path? I absolutely understand their need to do something when faced with certain disaster, as well as the show's governing principle to prove Six's innate awesomeness, but I do still have to wonder.

I don't understand what you're wondering about. Yes, the truck would probably have come back under its AI's control like the other robots, but they had no way of knowing anyone even knew the cause of the malfunction, let alone was trying to fix it (or that they would be able to do so in time, even if they were already on it).

In an emergency you can do nothing and have faith that the authorities or God intervenes in time, or you can do something in case neither one is on the job. I don't see any moral dilemma in choosing the latter, absent precognition of the outcome of either choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6