• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Eccentric Family 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 am Reply with quote
I can't remember if we've seen the Nidaime bare backed since he came back to Kyoto, because he's always impeccably dressed (and he wears a long white coat which is perfect for hiding wings). I interpreted his situation as that he's a tengu, but he may be Akadama's student rather than his biological son (if he is Akadama's biological son, I keep wondering if the omission of any explanation about his mother has something to do with their feud).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Well, it appears the tengu can "put away" their wings, since Akadama and his friend with the glasses don't have any visible either, though iirc the latter has shown he can still bring them out to fly. But if they don't have them to begin with, like Benten, they can't manifest them to fly.

I hope we get the juicy details on him, or the promise of a third season! But then, I'm still waiting to find out what happened during the Cedar Tree incident. Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

One more puzzle that's just reared its head to me is Nidaime. Until Nick brought it up, I hadn't thought he was human, and now I (and everybody else?) have been viewing him as a human like Benten

I've never thought that Nidaime could be human, i've always considered him a tengu who pretends to be human (or more precisely, an English gentleman) while Benten is a human who pretends to be a tengu. Maybe his mother was human, though?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
Just me then. Smile After Nick wrote in his first review, "Like Benten, Nidaime seems to be a human raised as a tengu," I commented on that and no one countered me or the review, so I just assumed I was the only one who hadn't clued in on his being human. Very Happy
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Just me then. Smile After Nick wrote in his first review, "Like Benten, Nidaime seems to be a human raised as a tengu," I commented on that and no one countered me or the review, so I just assumed I was the only one who hadn't clued in on his being human. Very Happy

I seem to have missed that when reading the review. Has there been there anything to support this theory, aside from Nidaime repeatedly denying to be a tengu which i always interpreted as his way of further dissociating himself from his father, not so much as hating tengu-dom per se?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nidaime was somehow involved in the fake!Kureichiro thing though, if only because it would make sense plot-wise for everything and everyone to be connected and for all the conflicts to culminate in the final episodes. I'm just not quite sure how exactly he'd profit from this situation...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I think it's a legitimate theory that hasn't been disproven, but I think there's more evidence for Nidaime being a self-hating tengu: the wings in the flashback, how quickly and easily he took out Benten, etc.

Now that I'm thinking about who Nidaime's mother could be, I don't think we've seen a female tengu once in the series, even as a background character. That could be a stylistic choice to emphasize Benten's place as queen. Or perhaps all tengu have human mothers? (Major speculation on my part!)
If Soun is fake!Kureichiro, how did he start the ruse before he died? I know fake!Kureichiro showed up after Soun went into exile, but Yasaburo found Soun in the hot springs resort trying to join the Friday Fellows. Tanuki can't be in two places at ones--but then, Jurojyan was with the Friday Fellows, too...

So many mysteries yet to be revealed!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't having wings disprove his being human?

Folklorically speaking, if I'm not misreading, tengu are made, not born. One becomes a tengu after death due to being excessively prideful, even if you were otherwise good. Or something like that. Smile They were believed to possess women sometimes in order to trick men, but weren't actually female. Kamisama Kiss holds that no females are allowed on the tengu's mountain stronghold, which I imagine they plucked out of some folktale somewhere. Smile Mostly they're associated with monks (hmmm), often dressing like yamabushi. There are numerous accounts of tengu harassing and kidnapping mountain monks and leaving them tied to treetops. Smile They're also often seen as warrior monks who protect the forests and mountains. The point being I think the series has its own take on tengu lore, and may not be much beholden to tradition. Smile

Why would he need to be in two places at once? Kaisei was there too, and everyone else. Even the painting made the trip! Was there anything that put Kure in Kyoto at the same time that Kaisei and Yasaburo were in Arima?

It bugs me that no one ever picked up on Kure not smelling right. It's been hammered home that "a tanuki's scent is proof of his identity." Did the imposter always bathe before seeing anyone and wear something with the real Kure's scent on it or something?

I totally got lost in googlemaps street-viewing around Arima looking at the locations they used in the episode. Apparently that Club meeting was held in an insurance company's building. Laughing But the details of the Kin no Yu spa and the little shop with the huge ice cream cone near the postbox are absolutely spot on, right down to the interior decor of the shop Benten emerges from. Just lovely work.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
So it really was Soun, can't say i'm very happy about it...i wonder if his pretty convincing "death" will actually be explained.

It also seems that Nidaime didn't have a hand in the intrigue which is fine by me, but it makes the whole "tengu conflict subplot" seem even less important. We still don't know why Akakdama and Nidaime fought, or what exactly happened in London or whether or not Nidaime actually wants to be the successor etc....sure, the tanuki are the main characters, but i still expected the tengu to play a bigger part this season. Now it's just one episode left and i wonder if that will really be enough to wrap up everything is a satisfactory way...

That being said, there was still plenty to like about this ep.: Yasaburo's meeting with his father, Kureichiro actually looking like himself after he lost all that hair and of course, tigers to the rescue~! Very Happy
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Oh, Soun, Soun, Soun ... you deplorable douche-bag. I really hope this turd gets his come-uppance this time rather than escaping to be free to plot once more. We'll see, I guess. I doubt having his daughter be thrown in a hot pot was part of his plan but with this piece of garbage, who knows?

I agree that with just one eppie left, it seems unlikely that the tengu sitch will be wrapped up in a satisfying way, but perhaps that's a springboard to season 3?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
So it really was Soun, can't say i'm very happy about it...i wonder if his pretty convincing "death" will actually be explained.

That's about how I felt, for reasons I've already explained. At least the real Kureichiro got on their case for not being able to literally sniff him out.

However! PomPoko Kamen saved more than our little furballs! (and he even got a shout-out in this week's Alice and Zouroku!) And Yajiro got to reprise the Eizan Express, which I'm not unhappy about. I was actually glad to see KinGinkaku back to their normal selves. It was even kinda sweet to see Gin turning to Tousen in his panic. Btw, have we ever been told what happened to their mother?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Btw, have we ever been told what happened to their mother?

I recently re-watched season 1 and I don't believe anything was indicated about her being alive or dead. I believe all we know is that Soun originally "took one for the team" by marrying into the Ebisugawa family after being thwarted in his desire to marry Tosen. Until this season, I don't really remember much being said about Kureichiro, either. It's very possible the mom's alive, but simply not a featured character for whatever reason.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't think I could hate the Ebisugawas (Kaisei and real Kureichiro excepted, although the jury's still out on him) more, but this episode proved me wrong. I hadn't felt this worked up about an anime episode since Gundam: IBO ended, and Soun has to die for real this time.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I totally got lost in googlemaps street-viewing around Arima looking at the locations they used in the episode. Apparently that Club meeting was held in an insurance company's building. Laughing But the details of the Kin no Yu spa and the little shop with the huge ice cream cone near the postbox are absolutely spot on, right down to the interior decor of the shop Benten emerges from. Just lovely work.

Absolutely. My wife and I went to Japan last summer and spent a night at an onsen ryokan (the Taketoritei Maruyama, recommended) in Arima Onsen. We could recognize everything in that episode. One of the fun parts of watching the show.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Ep. 11
I felt like this episode was a little disjointed. It didn't flow for me and it felt like they were trying to get a lot in before the end.

Merida wrote:
Agreed. His previous death was shocking and surprising and that's why it felt more impactful. I was a little let down by this turn of events.

Quote:
...it makes the whole "tengu conflict subplot" seem even less important. We still don't know why Akakdama and Nidaime fought, or what exactly happened in London or whether or not Nidaime actually wants to be the successor etc....sure, the tanuki are the main characters, but i still expected the tengu to play a bigger part this season. Now it's just one episode left and i wonder if that will really be enough to wrap up everything is a satisfactory way...
The Tengu subplot seems to have been reduced in importance. I thought it would have more play in this season and that we might actually get a deeper look into Tengu politics, but with one episode left I wonder how much of the Akadama/Benten/Nidaime conflict will get resolved.

Review wrote:
Like Benten, Soun's feelings of victimhood have turned him into a dark creature, someone who actively rages against The Eccentric Family's belief in family itself.
I disagree with equating Benten with Soun and inferring that she "rages against belief in family" as he does. In spite of eating Tanuki she has also been presented sympathetically as a lonely (albeit dangerous) misfit not fitting in easily in any of the realms (Tanuki, Tengu, Human), but still craving companionship. Whereas Soun is an unrepentant power hungry murderer and schemer willing to throw his own family under the train to achieve his goals. She ain't a cute cuddly kitten, but I don't think both characters are on equal footing in the nastiness department. Also where are you getting that she has feelings of victimization? I mean its possible and I can't say I remember the first season well enough to say she didn't express that, but wasn't there a scene of Akadama just sweeping in and kidnapping her when she was a teen? If she does feel like a victim she might have reasons for it.

Anyways decent episode, but I was a little disappointed with certain events. I hope they can pull off something strong in the last episode.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
I dunno about satisfying end, it seems to me like a lot was left up in the air. What happened to the Friday club anyway? Did they just give up eating Tanuki? How did Soun survive? How come nobody realize he was still alive? What did they do with the body? Did the twin even know that he was still alive? Kaisei obviously didn't.

Things weren't really resolved between Benten and Nidaime. Who even was the other woman in the flashback anyway? I also though the fight was pretty ridiculous, I guess they were going for a sort of super powered sibling fight, but it was hard to take it seriously. Benten can freeze stuff but she can't put out fire? And whatever were they even doing fighting over a utility pole? And now what, is Nidaime back to being a disciple?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8