• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'll say those zeroing in on the Count in Ep4 seem inordinately interested for some reason, though the crowd reactions were funny if overblown relative to the stimulus. He is a minor character, not very interesting and does nothing memorable. The real interest in the story I think was how Glenn and the class went counter to the "prevailing wisdom" that only the best few (read teacher's pets,"winners", etc.) in each class should compete and showed that everyone/anyone can win if they work hard. The other interesting bits were the Queen/Rumia dynamic and the ominous characters at the last. The show just keeps getting better, making the girl's uniforms much less of an issue. Maybe a plan to attract otaku and get them hooked on the story after?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
This is why the three episode rule is crucial. I don't do it for every anime, but I do it for every anime I want to try that interests me or am recommended.

A modified version that works for longer anime with a slower pace is the first arc rule. Generally though, the first arc in a 12 or 26 episode anime will be done or close to it in the first 3 episodes.

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The show just keeps getting better, making the girl's uniforms much less of an issue. Maybe a plan to attract otaku and get them hooked on the story after?

To be fair, the author could have been inspired to create a compelling plot with compelling characters because either he or the artist thought of the uniforms and wanted a book to be published with them, dopiness be d*mned.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
It has kind of given the early image that it will be pretty bottom of the barrel, that is likely how it is going to be perceived, but apart uniform design and that one scene that looked like about to be sexual assault, the show has been quite respectable to its character. The episode had Glenn advising his students in ways that was pretty good.

Not sure if I did not notice before, but the new girl is shown quite prominently in the OP as joining the class, so likely ally feels like a good guess.
GarethXL

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Not sure if I did not notice before, but the new girl is shown quite prominently in the OP as joining the class, so likely ally feels like a good guess.

things are a little complicated with her, saying any more will be basically spoiling the next arc
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is this really the same series that gave us such a lackluster start with its jackass of a male protagonist?

The only fictional teacher I have had the desire to punch square in the face after watching the first episode was Eikichi Onizuka from GTO and we all know how that played out.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok, readers of the source material, without any bias of "They're adapting it very well so far", but with actual critical thinking, as well as anime only viewers, so how far can you say that is this show good? Is it in the same pool of mediocrity than other magic high school shows? Or it can be put aside of Chivalry of a Failed Knight?

I say it this way because I go to reddit and 4chan to search opinions about if this show is good, but the opiniions are mostly biased.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
@SkerllyF

Why not just watch the first arc and decide for yourself. When it comes to entertaining yourself, your opinion is more important than everyone else's.
AholePony

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I watch almost all of the generic magical highschool battle harem anime that come out and I think this might be the worst beach episode I've ever seen in one. They shoehorned it in there amidst all these other things going on and a recent assassination attempt, let alone the visuals looked like they took a drop this week and the direction seemed particularly bad. If next week's episode feels as lazy as this one I'm going to do what I rarely do, and that's drop a show I've watched past the half way point.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
I am thinking that the show is continuing to be good, for one Glenn is not perving on his students despite even the beach episode like face. He connected a bit with the boys by saying they can enjoy the beach atmosphere, complimented on the girls without taking it too far, but was more into them having fun, and even took part in a game of volleyball without any silly business. Yeah, the girls were in a swimsuit, an easy way to sell an episode with some fanservice, but I don't think the episode once disrespected or disempowered the female characters, that one scene in an earlier episode the only major black mark so far.

Re=L is probably the closest as being kind of infantised in how she is a pretty big dope, but she is really shown to be capable of things, is funny in the face of that, and there seems to be a point being made about her narrow view and dedication to the main character. I will foresee that she will probably be given respect.

And going back on the point, I think respect of characters is something this show is doing well. Sistine has the attributes of a tsundere, many that are pretty common for the genre, as a character she can also admit that she is wrong, willing to take new perspectives, and able to put in faith for others, attributes not common for such a character. Rumia comes across as the sort of ojou-sama like that is super empathic of others, the type that might be a pushover in the genre, but Rumia is also made clear to be strong willed and actually pretty observant, that she can still be caring and understanding while being aware things are not all roses. Celica also comes across a bit as the sort of sadistic type who flaunts her dominance despite her femininity, but despite some surface level arrogance she is quite capable and actually pretty caring for her student and I would say charges in general, seeming to coddle him a bit despite her hard appearance, and pretty caring of others. Actually, I think that it might be of note that Glenn takes after Celica, keeping a bit of a rough/dismissive appearance to set some boundaries, but also being quite devoted and showing that through every so often. He is not perfect, and I think he kind of wants his students to see that, but there is none of that "now we begin a lesson", which I find annoying and shows up in some shows with teachers as a main character, which feel arrogant that they have all the answers to life, instead he feels a bit like Koro-sensei where he wants to let them get a lesson that he might have got.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
While the latest episode was indeed set in a beach, I would not call it a fanservice episode. There is no real attempt from the camera to frame the girls bodies in unnatural angles nor the poses are exaggerated. Add to that that fact they have average proportions (unlike, say Lucoa from last season's Dragon Maid) and I did not got the fanservice vibe. The scene at the start screamed of a joke on our expectations and it paid off.

Since the plot is progressing, showing off the teacher bond with the students and the new girl integrating with the classroom, the lack of real fanservice becomes quite irrelevant. The only surprise is that no one poked fun at the washboard physique of the new girl.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I feel stupid for not picking up Re=L ---> Revive Life sooner.

Also sorry Rokudenashi, but not even lewd maids can make for cutting the glorious Celica scene known as Parent's Day.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
Yea getting a bit tired of the kill and/or kidnap rumia stuff. Time to move on from her.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
Ok, the whole 'blondie gets kidnapped so we gotta save her' is seriously getting old. Can we have something different for once?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Well Rumia does seem to be the whole reason Glenn might even been put there by Celica, no one is trying to do something to a girl who in the future wants to explore ancient ruins. First arc showed that people are after her, second showed us a particular person within the group behind the plots, and so far it looks we have found out the why in the third, that she can be used to bring someone back to life.

Other characters have had their parts too, from Glenn learning to kind of give a damn by caring for people, and Sistine getting a different perspective of things, and whatever this thing is with Re=L. Which I think maybe points that Re=L is a designed person similar to the fakes the imperfect fakes they could create so far.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
^ I'd guess Re-L is a memory transfer failure, or maybe a proof of concept. I wonder who the bad guys are trying to bring back to life? Or are they doing it just to show they can do it? I agreed with Rumia that making chimeras isn't cool. It seems that this country has been involved in some pretty shady things in the past. No wonder Glenn is so disillusioned these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6