• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sagrada Reset

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
For God´s Sake, is the source material any good? This is sounding more and more like "that piece of shit David Production did instead of JoJo part 5".
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
While being bored while watching this episode and just before the monologuing at the end made me fall asleep on my couch; I was pondering Kei's state of being emotionally dead and came to the conclusion that his power and Haruki's implied constant resetting whenever she saw something sad (before he even met her) made him replay days several if not hundreds of times.

They kind of hint at it this episode how boring it is to him. Maybe he's supposed to be mentally destroyed from all of the (what he thought were) deja vu experiences he had lived through? If that's the case, this show should have done a much better job selling us on the idea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
No mention of the Kit Kat?

I kind of went on a rant in the other topic of how this show is failing. Not doing a good job of showing its ideas where it tries to act smarter than it is, acting like it is really thinking things through while still being filled with holes of logic and unnecessary plot points.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
No mention of the Kit Kat?

It looks like Sasane's actual ability is product placement.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I like the idea of Sumire being a villian and it does fit her character, she seems to enjoy lording her knowledge over Kei, as well as toying with him. It's hard to tell if she's just planting seeds of thought to make him do what she needs (probably to defeat the bureau) or is manipulating with ill intent.

When the show frames the bureau as bring nefarious like they have, it's easy to think it's just a feint for the eventual plot twist where they were the good guys all along.
Number 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
There's two things in the review that have left me puzzled. Kei and Sumire were boyfriend and girlfriend? Also, how did Gabriella come to the conclusion that the MC might be in the center of the origin of abilities? There's also something I don't agree which is that he is so devoid of emotions as she said.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
It was five minutes? It felt like fifteen minutes yeah this is some kind of special badness to be this dull. I mean I understand there is an demographic for Slice of Life Content but this just puttered about in an aimless holding pattern and had dialogue that felt frankly inhuman.

Maybe this sounded better written out in a prose novel. Watching it animated though it feels like one of those examples online reviewers give when they rage about bad writing in Screenplays for a whole episode. That being said I'm still watching it so I can at least finish it and have it some where on my worst of the year list.
Sakurada

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I understand we all have our opinions and no one would fully agree with your weekly rankings, and I'm usually cool with that... but this season I have developed two *grudges* by seing "Sagrada Reset" being extremely underrated for no apparent good, objective reason and, at the same time, "SukaSuka" being exactly the opposite (being heavily overrated for... a really good first episode and... what else, again? To be honest, that first episode was good because it gave you the wrong impression about where the series was headed. After the end of the second chapter, when I understood what the series was really about, I dropped it and never looked back).

This show is easily on my top 8 this season. To me, it's somewhere in between "Subete ga F ni naru" and "Boku dake ga inai machi". So, being so against the majority, I'm just going to make a huge rant here while expecting no one to read it, but I just need it out of my system.

I simply can't get what you all find so wrong about the things the characters do or talk about, or about the "how" they do so. I haven't seen anything that can qualify as "boring" up to now. Being dense in dialogs (or even monologues) and making the plot advance through them doesn't necessarily have to be a weak point, and I really think it doesn't in this case (besides, why do people insist so much on the "monologue" thing? I don't feel there were that many... if any at all! There *are* a lot of static dialogues, granted, but... monologues?).

I felt from the first chapter that there's a LOT going on every week, but what's shown to us is constantly restricted to be just the tip of the iceberg. I can't help but feel that most viewers aren't paying enough attention (which makes me wonder why they keep masochistically watching and moaning: just drop it and go on with your lives Razz).

Some keep complaining, for instance, about Haruki being some kind of robot, while that's *exactly* the point: she has some serious personality issues people are trying to save her from. Actually, this whole thing is implied, if not almost explicitly said, by Sumire on the first or second chapter, and most of the plot revolves around that idea (come on, Kei even talks about Asimov's Laws of Robotics applied to her). I'm *dying* to know what happened in her past to get her to where she is now.

Because her past *has* to be important at some point. Seriously, people, for your brains sake, didn't the though of "how the f... did she even learned she had any powers?" cross your minds? She doesn't keep her memories after a reset! So, from her own point of view, what's she doing by saying "reset" to a phone? Chuunibyou?
Someone had to tell her. Who? Maybe she and Kei already met when they were children? Sumire, perhaps? The authorities? The witch?

The same goes for Asai Kei: why he's in the city in the first place, being an outsider, is something that hasn't been *really* explained to us. There are some shady things about his past too. Besides, he has to cope with a power that, as already stated by other smart commenter, has been bringing him nothing but boring déjà vus one after another (It would have been a nice touch to be presented some of his initial hypothesis as a child about his own power). His personality is probably a result of being worn out by that process.

BTW, that "someone" who told Haruki about her power has to be able to preserve any kind of info after a reset, or else (s)he wouldn't know about Haruki's power... but we have a bunch of characters that can do that kind of trick already: the past-snapshotting-thanks-to-a-photo man, the two women (Sumire & witch) able to see the future (hence the timelines' changes), Nakano with his ability to send messages with his voice across resets, the woman who can protect her own brain from being reset, Kei himself... And that's the main interesting property of this series' setting: everybody can break the logic badly (specially because of the unpredictable effects of different combinations of powers) and it can still be pretty coherent. If done right, the climax of the series could be monumental...

Which is kind of my main fear with this series: I'm experienced enough in anime to know that it's far more likely they screw up the ending and ruin everything than they making the epic one (tying together every loose end) that's still pretty possible instead (the two series I mentioned above, for instance, were no exceptions: "Subete ga F ni naru" had the most interesting first four or so episodes I had seen in a while, and then it went south pretty fast; "Boku dake ga inai machi" closed all up way better, but I still feel the last few chapters lost track somehow).

But well, I guess all people complaining about Sagrada Reset belong to the type that prefers to think about space soap operas like "Star Wars" instead of Shane Carruth's film "Primer" when the topic of Sci-Fi is brought up.

So keep watching SukaSuka :-PPP
Clover_Zero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
I agree that it doesn't deserve as many hates, but I have to say it isn't for everyone, and even I find faults in the series itself. I agree with some of the things the review said, but some things are honestly just justification to hate for me. No hate for you or anyone else, I apologize.

I enjoy Sakurada Reset, so I guess I'm in minority, but I agree there are problems with the production (in terms of pacing, dialogue, and art). I'm sure the light novel is better and it might be better in prose like someone has said. Things can be way better, but unfortunately, the execution is pretty bad. I'm hoping to get the light novel or manga now. As for how can I enjoy it, I have no excuse myself. I watch anything I'm interested at. The first few episodes feel boring, but I keep going (think of it like a slice of life), though the last few episodes made me sit on the edge, curious for the continuation.

As for Sakurada's comment...SukaSuka is good! Its review also isn't as perfect as, let's say, KADO (the last episode killed everything though). Though of course, that comes back to preferences, and that's fine.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
I just marathoned the whole thing and, besides the first couple of episodes being boring and dull, the story became progressively better, even with its obvious execution problems.

I mean, when I saw all those Ds and Cs in here I expected waaaay worse. I also think this anime is a bit underrated and agree with most of the points of the commenters above.

In any case, it might be the subjective side of the reviewer about the genre's presentation not matching our own, so we can't really say much (I too interpreted some "poor writing" way differently than said reviewer, though acknowledging his criticism many times).

So far, this is a solid 7/10 in my opinion (not sure what grade it would be here, a B?). It could get better or worse.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't help but feel vindicated in my original impression that this show being reviewed was a mistake (not on the site's part. That's what the voters wanted). It hasn't been that good, and it isn't a good candidate for hatewatching because it was bad in the most boring way, being boring, both visually and in terms of writing. I really don't know if I will watch the next episode let alone finish the whole thing.

Oregairu and Monogatari are both better written than Sagrada Reset, even beyond their entertainment value (which is no trivial skill for a writer. I don't think both of those series in LN form would have sold so much - or been so long in Monogatari's case - if the writing was not in and of itself at least entertaining). Their stories are not without their flaws, but I would not say that the writing of Watari Wataru and Nisio Isin is merely entertaining but dumb, unlike what one might say about the writing of SAO's Reki Kawahara. I think calling them "woman-fixer" shows oversimplifies them and is belied by the fact that in both series, the brand of "selflessness" (or "woman-fixing" if you prefer) that both Hachiman and Araragi demonstrate is shown to be self-destructive - physically in Araragi's case, socially in Hachiman's case - selfish, and something they must and - most pertinent to the idea they are just "women-fixer" shows - do move past. Not that this prevented some from lionizing this sort of "selflessness", particularly Hachiman (it is difficult to lionize Araragi after seeing the Hachikuji arc(s)). I would like to know how much of those series Ms. Ekens has seen or read, to better see where she is coming from. Not that I wouldn't respect her opinion on the shows in any case or her decision to watch what she has of the series. What I mentioned earlier is particularly the focus of the second season of Oregairu, and while there is signs from the beginning (by airing order - Kizu demonstrates what I mentioned in a different way than the rest of the series), it really comes out in the later seasons of Monogatari where he eventually moves to Meme's position of helping people help themselves.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
I love that every show, no matter what, will have its vehement defenders that will fight to the death for its honor. It mean no show is pointlessly made.
Not shocked this show's weekly reviews are being axed though. Just look at the message board, barely any comments even 15 episodes in. No attention, no clicks, no money made.
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
zrznle500 I agree with you on all points. And I too would like to see where Gabriella is coming from with her statement in her review because, when I first read it, my impression was that she doesn't know what she's talking about as it seems she has quite the skewed perspective on Oregairu and Monogatari. About Sagrada Reset, I know I will finish it as I like it enough to do so, despite its glaring flaws.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
Gabriella Said: "The War for Kei's Dick" Now that just makes me want to see the thing...I can't remember a show that got enough interest to get weekly reviews and partway through lost said interest so the reviews were cancelled. Result of reviewer negative opinion or just a bad show?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Gabriella Said: "The War for Kei's Dick" Now that just makes me want to see the thing...I can't remember a show that got enough interest to get weekly reviews and partway through lost said interest so the reviews were cancelled. Result of reviewer negative opinion or just a bad show?

Usually two cours shows near the bottom don't get their second cours picked up. Most recently Trickster fell into this category. Rinne also was dropped after its first cours but I think that was before the rankings so it would be hard to tell how that ranked here. There is at least one other example (Days I think?) but it isn't terribly common.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3