• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Titan-Sized First Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I also really enjoyed this, but I also think a lot of the discussion is redundant with the streaming reviews - maybe focus more on the shows that weren't popular enough to make those? Also for the record I rather like the text message format but I'm reading on a decently sized PC monitor so everything is perfectly readable.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess I'm kinda sketchy on their credentials, i.e., I didn't see anything in all that that raises them above any other two people chatting online, so why should I pay particular attention to them out of the thousands of fans chatting about anime?

I would have appreciated more context on this too. I don't know anything about Nick, but Micchy got some fame (or infamy) on Twitter for being a figure skater and talking about the technical aspects of Yuri on Ice, and has continued to be followed for Heybot shitposts... oh, and some pretty cool panels at conventions about Women Directors in Anime and stuff.

SHD wrote:
Yes, I understand that popular shows bring clicks but if I want to read weightless banter/borderline shitposting about these shows (in English, anyway) I can already go to Reddit or MAL or 4ch or AnimeSuki or Tumblr or hell just chat with my friends.

Yeah, well, some of us don't have any friends that like anime and like to read other people's conversations and pretend we do. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random 21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I thought this was great. I've seen enough anitwitter convos where I felt like this was all pretty genuine, it felt like an extended anitwitter conversation and you know what I'm actually really up for that. Both of them had really good rapport, and it was a really fun read overall. I agree with the sentiment that this could be used to highlight some lesser known shows. I appreciated that the bonus discussions at the bottom helped to serve that purpose, so hopefully we can get some more shows involved.

But yeah, I think this a really cool idea, I'm super excited to read more.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Really appreciate everyone's feedback on this - it's kind of an experiment. We're taking everything said here into consideration - thanks.
Ahirue

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm on the "this is kinda boring" side. I'd rather have transcripts for ANNCast; after following the Daily Streaming Reviews for a while, Jake and Zac are people whose commentary I'm actually interested in, but I can't focus on podcasts.

Right now this is kind of "two randos talking about anime." Why read that when I can just talk to my friends about what anime we're watching instead?
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was breezie and amusing to read, a nice casual rundown of recent anime.
Plus, anyone that considers Dennou Coil to be one of the best anime of all time clearly has excellent taste.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Entertaining content, bring on more. It was fun to read.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
My 2 cents:

• I follow both of these folks on Twitter and enjoy their banter a lot
  • I also like the format. That it takes a little more work to parse is part of the charm; I've read enough product reviews over the years that I speed read them. This takes a little more work to keep up with the flow, and it's actually good to be challenged.
  • That said, a little long maybe?
  • For such a novel format, the column title "This Week In Anime" seems really dry. Feels like it should have something zippier that speaks to the weird format… some play on "chat" or "bubbles" maybe.

As teh kids say on the internets, "more like this, please."
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Don't understand why people are complaining. It's fun to read and a breath of fresh air from all the formal reviews and stuff. I can see this working really well down the road especially during the climactic parts of shows every season. Since we have AOT airing this season I'm looking forward to the discussions after all the intense reveals, cliffhangers and spectacles.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 pm Reply with quote
This is not for me. Too hard to read and too little substance. There didn't seem to be any point to it.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Uh... there are a lot of Selesia upskirt shots - there's even one in the OPENING!
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Interesting format. Not sure if I like it or not. I read it in a large web browser, and the distance between bubbles on the left and right felt... strange. Probably looks great on a phone, I'm sure.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 am Reply with quote
Not sure it's for me. I spend enough time on twitter that I can get plenty of shitposting and random conversation of this sort there. And this was by and large pretty low on the overall substance. I'm not necessarily one to keep up week to week with everything I'm watching either, so I have the added worry of running into spoilers should I happen to be slightly behind. I might check out another, but properly written full episode reviews are certainly more my speed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:58 am Reply with quote
The bit about Kabukibu was interesting. I'd watch it if it were on Crunchy, but it's not...

Marginal #4 last season had something of a "it's okay for boys to not be manly" thing, but they didn't like, talk about it, there's just a boy who usually wears girly clothes. (And a boy who always wears nail polish, and a boy who always wears hair clips, but those aren't as really gendered).
But there probably aren't a lot of guys who need to hear that watching these shows in the first place...
zeonozero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
I'm excited you guys are trying something new... but this is not going to work for me.

It feels like the two are being forced into talking about it and I'm not getting anything substantial from reading.

I only stopped about 1/4 the way and I honestly felt like I lost my time. There's way too much talking. I prefer the normal streaming reviews to this.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this a lot. The informal nature of it is a good contrast to the formal nature of the streaming reviews and ANNCast. Also, I like the idea of ANN receiving commentary from a wider range of voices. I didn't think the format was really an issue. It seemed fairly streamlined to me. I will read more of these.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3