• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
One format KnNw. couldn't dominate in.
FrozenMoon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
One format KnNw. couldn't dominate in.

I mean 412,086 with 4th place is still pretty good.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Tanya beat mahouka? :O
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

Wouldn't that be normal? One had the boost of the anime increasing the sales of every volume released and Mahouka did not and has maybe 2 volumes that count. Mahouka still has more sales per volume average compared to Tanya's highest ranking volume looking at the other ln 2017 ranking article. (173000 vs 102000).

These lists are heavily skewed towards series that can release multiple volumes in the given timeframe and Oricon manga/LN tracking is really really bad so I wouldn't trust these to be accurate.
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:32 am Reply with quote
Kurone Mishima is an artist for 3 series in the top 10. crazy
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
Somewhat surprised seeing Index so low, but then again, new volumes have been slow for a while.

Speaking of Isekai novels, I'm definitely surprised seeing Arifureta up there, while there's no sign of Death March and no Smartphone. There's been no news of any Arifureta anime, right?

Kinda glad seeing Mahouka still so high in the charts.

I guess the recent SAO movie really boosted the sales.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:28 am Reply with quote
SAO return to domination again. Been a regular top 3 for some time.

Good to see Konosuba ,Re:Zero, Akashic Records and Eromanga Sensei in the top 10.

In 2016 Akashic Records was 29 and Eromanga Sensei don't even appear in the top 30.
I would say the anime are doing their job well, promoting the LN's.

Improved LN sales means that a possibility of more anime seasons is going up.

Millhi wrote:

These lists are heavily skewed towards series that can release multiple volumes in the given timeframe and Oricon manga/LN tracking is really really bad so I wouldn't trust these to be accurate.

If am not mistaken of the top 9 only Re:Zero releases 2 LN volumes in this timeframe. All the others only release 1 LN volume so multiple volumes is not the reason for these numbers.
Oricon is bad tracking anime BD sales too so nothing new.
T.Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Mahouka had only one volume released so far this year.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
SAO return to domination again. Been a regular top 3 for some time.

Good to see Konosuba ,Re:Zero, Akashic Records and Eromanga Sensei in the top 10.

In 2016 Akashic Records was 29 and Eromanga Sensei don't even appear in the top 30.
I would say the anime are doing their job well, promoting the LN's.

Improved LN sales means that a possibility of more anime seasons is going up.

Millhi wrote:

If am not mistaken of the top 9 only Re:Zero releases 2 LN volumes in this timeframe. All the others only release 1 LN volume so multiple volumes is not the reason for these numbers.
Oricon is bad tracking anime BD sales too so nothing new.

This should also include older volume releases for series that recently got an anime boost that got sold in the given timeframe (November 21, 2016 to May 21, 2017).
(example XXXX released 1 volume in the timeframe selling 15k but the 7 other volumes got an anime boost with let's say 20k average increase for a total of 140k so Oricon should report XXXX as having sold 155k if I'm not mistaken)
Digital sales are also not counted.

Oricon is still better for BD tracking then it is for manga/ln but yes it's pretty bad.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:

This should also include older volume releases for series that recently got an anime boost that got sold in the given timeframe (November 21, 2016 to May 21, 2017).
(example XXXX released 1 volume in the timeframe selling 15k but the 7 other volumes got an anime boost with let's say 20k average increase for a total of 140k so Oricon should report XXXX as having sold 155k if I'm not mistaken)
Digital sales are also not counted.

Oricon is still better for BD tracking then it is for manga/ln but yes it's pretty bad.

I was thinking you were talking about if there are series that released more that one volumes in the time frame and that increased sales.

But tf you want to know sales for volume released in the time frame, you can see that on the other page.
Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Volume: 2017 (First Half)

And if you regard them side by side you can get a better idea of what number come from the new volumes and what came from the sum of all volumes.

For example SAO sold 707,300 - 285,125 came from the volume that was released in the time frame.
The Irregular at Magic High School sold 299,957 - 173,046 came from the volume that was released in the time frame.
The Saga of Evil Tanya sold 299,957 but 102,985 came from volume 1 released in 2013.

These Top-Selling Light Novels in Japan by Series: 2017 (First Half) is good so we can know about what series have the most sales, if they are still are popular and have good sales and if anime is working the way is suppose to work for these series, but if you want to get all sales details is almost impossible.

Like you said, anime will increase sales of the other volumes, in reality that's the main goal of most anime these days.
And series that have more volumes have better chance of get more sales total. But there are also promotions, stock-offs, digital, etc

If you want to ranking sales, is easy with anime BD sales because is most times limited to 1 or 2 cours and the number of BD volumes is limited but talking about LN volumes and series were something like SAO been around for since 2009 and Index that been around since 2004 is difficult to make a ranking.

You would have the sum all volume sales and even then series with many volumes would have more sales.
You have to divide total sales by number of volumes and get a average number.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
kinda sad not seeing mushoku tensei and shield hero anymore.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I predict before this year comes to a close there will come an announcement for an adaptation featuring a slime protagonist... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1