• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Torrent Sites Disappearing?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
Because I never downloads torrents because I am more likely to to get a virus downloading it

What the heck is wrong with you? Torrents don't HAVE viruses. You can't put a virus inside an mkv/mp4 file. You just can't. Also, adblock doesn't block viruses. It never has and most likely never will.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
xchampion wrote:
It's usually for unlicensed stuff, but still illegal. I've never used the torrent sites tho.

See, here's the funny thing: you're actually doing more harm by using illegal streaming sites then you would be if you just torrented the anime. At least when you torrent you don't put money in the pockets of people who don't deserve it.

Or you can run an adblocker on those sites. (In theory. I haven't been to a shady streaming site since I started using one.) Though, the way the world's been heading lately, adblocking will probably also become illegal. It already is for TVs, apparently. Devices that mute ads automatically exist, but you're not likely to find them at Best Buy.

Someday, we'll break our addiction to capitalism and stop treating corporations like kings; but until then, we'll have to keep arguing about silly things like whether it's ethical to distribute pirated anime.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you? Torrents don't HAVE viruses. You can't put a virus inside an mkv/mp4 file. You just can't. Also, adblock doesn't block viruses. It never has and most likely never will.

Sure you could! In theory, anyway.

After all people have put viruses in _image files_ on the web like jpg or gif. All you need is a web browser with a buggy image reading library with a memory overrun and when it tries to read the malformed image you end up overwriting memory, etc etc.

The same is totally possible for video files. It would depend on the specific video player software you use, but let's take something like vlc for example. I'm sure there is some tiny codec buried in there with ancient buggy decoding that someone could shove into a mkv into a hidden channel that could in theory do mischief.

So "you just can't" is false. Has anyone ever actually done this successfully? Not sure.
consignia

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Even simpler, make torrent payload a binary rather than a video file. The user tries to open it and it silently compromises your computer. Don't think you'd fall for it? Someone might and that's all it takes.
Kamiyan3991

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Karl2 wrote:
Because I never downloads torrents because I am more likely to to get a virus downloading it

Well, my antivirus goes crazy whenever I hit some shady streaming site. It never happened with torrents.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
So "you just can't" is false. Has anyone ever actually done this successfully? Not sure.

Under that pretense of making decisions on improbable probablilities, you should never leave your house, because a meteorite can kill you, it has happened before

Quote:
Even simpler, make torrent payload a binary rather than a video file. The user tries to open it and it silently compromises your computer. Don't think you'd fall for it? Someone might and that's all it takes.

That is why you should never download files (torrents or otherwise) from untrusted/shady sites. Decent sites will run their antivirus on uploads at the very least.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Karl2 wrote:
Because I never downloads torrents because I am more likely to to get a virus downloading it instead of using adblock on illegal sites and you can try to convince me that most torrents don't have viruses or anything like that, but I will never trust them.

I've literally gotten a half-dozen "Your computer is infected!" popups with an adblocker on through illegal sites. With torrents, it's literally a matter of "Oh, this file on The Pirate Bay says 'Sayonara Zetsubou-sensei ep1 sub.exe', might not be legit." Most everything on Nyaa was legit and gotten taken down very quickly if it wasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mbanu

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
People can argue about the morality of downloading torrents but for older catalogue shows like Votoms, Armor Hunter Mellowlink and High Speed Jecy are people just supposed to hope Discotek licenses them? I buy crapload of anime(both domestic releases and import) but many of the older, obscure shows will likely never be released in the U.S. It's a shame to see more of these sites going because the archive stuff is more likely to be forgotten and lost to the void.

Well, the original idea behind fansubs was that you would use them to popularize a show out of obscurity; at one time, every single anime overseas fans could get was old and obscure by mainstream standards. People pushed them at sci-fi cons, got them on public access TV, started clubs, and did their best to build out a fanbase. I mean, it didn't even need to be a rich fanbase, a lot of broke high-school anime fans from way back when are now Blu-ray buying office workers. Smile

That was the trade-off. Free fansubs in exchange for your labor promoting and popularizing them among people who didn't know what they were.
NormanS

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Anyone can provide me information what is the new EU laws are about? All i know is the Kodi ruling in the UK (do we still call it part of the EU?) and the EU link tax.

Nyaa will be a great loss because it provides media besides anime.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Bakabt went down while I was downloading saber marionette, not happy.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, a number of the Nyaa torrents have already been "restored"(somebody had a database backup and made them available). All sukebei torrents since sometime 2016 are apparently lost, though.
kotomikun wrote:
Or you can run an adblocker on those sites. (In theory. I haven't been to a shady streaming site since I started using one.) Though, the way the world's been heading lately, adblocking will probably also become illegal. It already is for TVs, apparently. Devices that mute ads automatically exist, but you're not likely to find them at Best Buy.
Adblockers aren't an end-all be-all form of protection: they only stop one very specific vector. Your browser is by far the biggest attack surface on your computer; a streaming site is far more dangerous than a downloaded video, which has a lot less to work with.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Karl2 wrote:

What the heck is wrong with you? Torrents don't HAVE viruses. You can't put a virus inside an mkv/mp4 file. You just can't.

No, you totally can. It's been a thing for a little while now. It's not common, yet, but you can. Without direct experience with it, I'm not sure how it's done, but I'm betting it's like Cinavia copy protection, encoded in the audio, which is almost impossible to detect and strip.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I have similar feelings to most other people on here. Streaming services just don't have the catalog. You would have to sign up for several services just to get most of the currently airing shows. But when it comes to obscure shows or even shows that are a few years old you're screwed. Some shows never got licensed for streaming or release in the US so torrent is the only way. Then there are the shows that got licensed and then got lost in the anime crash. I'm also a collector of physical media and I feel like there's something inherently wrong with paying to watch a show so I can pay again to buy it on blu-ray. Nyaa was the last great bastion of otaku media. Goodnight sweet prince.

MarshalBanana wrote:
Bakabt went down while I was downloading saber marionette, not happy.

I know that feel bro
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
Downloads are pretty much the only way to go if you want to watch in high quality, view old/obscure anime and manga, view unlicensed anime and manga, BD releases, view anime offline, get OSTs the day they're released, JAVs, visual novels, etc.

I don't think the average person realizes how big a calamity Nyaa's shut down is for the global anime fandom.

I think you're overestimating how much the average anime fan cares about old/obscure anime, watching shows in high quality, or viewing unlicensed shows. "Global anime fandom" is still overwhelmingly composed of people who want to binge-watch Fullmetal Alchemist on their smartphones.

Plus, speaking of viewing anime "offline", you can download any video hosted on virtually every illegal streaming site in .mp4 form using a simple Firefox plug-in. Or you could just import the BluRay/DVD, download the subtitle tracks that the fansubbers put out, and watch the video in VLC.

Point is, if you don't care about video quality and just want to watch the show, there are plenty of options that don't require you to pretend that it's still 2007.

Ajc228 wrote:
People can argue about the morality of downloading torrents but for older catalogue shows like Votoms, Armor Hunter Mellowlink and High Speed Jecy are people just supposed to hope Discotek licenses them? I buy crapload of anime(both domestic releases and import) but many of the older, obscure shows will likely never be released in the U.S.

Are you talking about the more recent Votoms stuff? The original series was licensed and released years ago, and is still dirt cheap on eBay. Depending on the version you get, it has some stellar director's commentary. Wink
Nakadashi Sensei

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This is devastating for the adult content side. I don't know why, but this happens more than not. Whenever these guys shut it down, they don't even have the decency nor respect to at least privately inform the uploaders themselves (that actually power the site), that its hot out there and backup/relocate elsewhere. An uploader can then i.e. via Twitter say, that they're up and running somewhere else. I've purchased content from R18/DMM but as everyone would know, their content is ONLY playable on Windows due to Silverlight and they don't even have an iOS/Android app which means streaming only.

In regards to the viruses, McAfee SiteAdvisor -
https://www.siteadvisor.com/final/index.html will solve virtually all of that. Add AdBlocker, and Disconnect.me - [url]https://disconnect.me/[url]
Take it from someone who's involved in the adult content side of things, where MOST viruses tend to lurk at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 13