• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid — Episodes 1-13 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adored this show. The episode where they went to the store to buy Kanna school supplies was one of the most emotional body language/facial expression pieces of Japanese animation pulling my heartstrings almost to the point of snapping them to pieces I've ever seen. Started buying the manga right after that....
RANGIT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:39 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
They changed the words to fit the mouth flaps... "but I'm a girl" doesn't fit so it's "But I'm not into girls." Kobayashi is asexual in that the idea of being either attracted to men or women hasn't occurred to her so you turning her gay right away is its own affront to the character.

See it as "But I'm not into girls"... yet. It's better than the... sigh... straight translation of "But I'm a girl" where the point of incorrect sexuality incompatibility is on Tohru. Unless Kobayashi meant being a human girl compared to Tohru's dragon girl. But then she's being racist... err "speciesist".

I honestly think they could have done better if they had more time to think the line through, but that's simuldubbing for you.

The dub used "I'm not into women or dragons," which is 9 syllables. I get what they were going for, but I think an equivalent line that would have worked better in my opinion is "but you are a dragon and I'm not" or something along those lines (it retains her original "but I'm a girl" excuse in a way, except it becomes a species issue instead of a gender issue.)

So yeah, they could have changed it, but I guess the fact that it's a KyoAni show probably meant that there weren't many (or any) home video changes visually and so there was less of an incentive for them to go do line pick-ups for the dub. The dub's ADR director also had many other shows to work on after the show ended, so that may have contributed to them not doing line pick-ups (if they had any at all.)

animefanworried wrote:
^
OK, that's fair. But whether or not I actually buy this release is dependent entirely on whether or not they fixed the dub. So could someone at least answer the question of if the lines were changed for the physical release?

They didn't change any of those dub lines the internet had issues with.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Miss Kobayashi was one of my top favorite shows from last year so I'm looking forward to eventually getting the Blu Ray. I'm rather surprised this series didn't get an LE edition since it seemed like it was a pretty popular series.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Miss Kobayashi was one of my top favorite shows from last year so I'm looking forward to eventually getting the Blu Ray. I'm rather surprised this series didn't get an LE edition since it seemed like it was a pretty popular series.

Yeah surprised me too. Dragon Maid didn't get an LE but Hajimete No Gal did...for some reason.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:01 am Reply with quote
RANGIT wrote:
The dub used "I'm not into women or dragons," which is 9 syllables. I get what they were going for, but I think an equivalent line that would have worked better in my opinion is "but you are a dragon and I'm not" or something along those lines (it retains her original "but I'm a girl" excuse in a way, except it becomes a species issue instead of a gender issue.)

"You do know I'm a woman, don't you?"

Nine syllables, retains the original meaning, still feels snappy and natural and could be a funny line with the right delivery.

There's a lot of ways this line could've been translated without turning it into an outright rejection, so I don't know why JMarchi went with... well, what she went with. Her excuse was some blather about timing and "characterization issues" because apparently what was in the original script was more OOC than her rewrite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Guess I'll be passing on this release, then. It's a shame because I really do love Dragon Maid but until Funimation clean up their act in general, I don't feel inclined to support them.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
RANGIT wrote:

Nine syllables, retains the original meaning, still feels snappy and natural and could be a funny line with the right delivery.

That line still makes it seem like Kobayashi is close minded about women being romantically involved so it doesn't fix anything.

Also if you don't wanna buy the release, just say you don't. Don't make up an excuse about one negligible line when you can easily switch to the Japanese track.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:
RANGIT wrote:

That line still makes it seem like Kobayashi is close minded about women being romantically involved so it doesn't fix anything.

Also if you don't wanna buy the release, just say you don't. Don't make up an excuse about one negligible line when you can easily switch to the Japanese track.

I went into this before in posts the mods removed for being off topic (apparently discussing Dragon Maid in a Dragon Maid thread isn't what we're here for) but the tl;dr is that "I'm a woman" is an intentional reference to common tropes in yuri/shojou ai manga, used in a tongue-in-cheek manner here. It's not an outright rejection, but the dub rewrites her dialogue to turn it into one, which is the issue.

I should also clarify that I would rather not support Funimation for myriad other reasons, not just 'one negligible line'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3