• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Superb Anime Moms

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Well... you know, the life expectancy of parents in shounen action shows and weepy dramas....

I know, it's just the phrase itself when you sound it out. XD
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I want to add a vote for Sachiko from Erased, she was my immediate thought after finishing the list. Also, while I'm not gonna argue that Chi-chi is a "terrible" mom (the reasons presented for putting her on the list make a kind of sense), I think IF you're going to include a mother from DBZ, 18 or Videl are better choices, since I feel both do a better job of keeping Chichi's pluses while clearing most of her minuses. (interesting that in both cases they're raising girls instead of boys)
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
There's another manga/anime mother I feel like mentioning, Yukiko Koshigaya, Natsumi, Komari, and Suguru's mother on Non Non Biyori. As someone who appears to be a mostly stay-at-home mother in a farming community where most other parents are constantly in the rice fields or doing other sorts of farm work, she's the only actual parent in Asahigaoka village who makes regular appearances in the story (although Hotaru's parents do show up occasionally, moreso in the anime than in the manga).

Mrs. Koshigaya is mainly important to the story as Natsumi needs a "foil" character outside of school, but the aspect of her character I find most interesting is that she's often kind of a surrogate parental figure to pretty much every other kid and teenager in the community, making impromptu meals for Renge Miyauchi and Hotaru Ichijou and even some of the older teenagers like Hikage Miyauchi and Konomi Fujimiya. It never really comes up in the story, but Atto gives an interesting "word of God" tidbit about her in one of those author's postscript manga chapters: spoiler[when Yukiko was an older teenager/young adult, she often had to look after Kazuho Miyauchi, who is now the teacher at the branch school and who is Renge and Hikage's older sister, in a manner very similar to how Kaede Kagayama sometimes acts as a caretaker to Renge, so she had practice being like a mother some years before she had Suguru. This may explain why Yukiko took it upon herself to retrieve Kazuho from the station when she missed the train (in the anime version of the beach episode story only), as Yukiko still looks out for Kazuho to some degree (although a simpler explanation is that Kazuho was stranded without her own vehicle and there aren't too many other named characters in the story with full driver's licenses).]

Correction: It was Kazuho, not Yukiko, who gave Kaede a whole container full of curry for supper that one time. Off the top of my head, I don't remember Yukiko Koshigaya ever interacting with Kaede (Dagashiya/Candy Store) Kagayama. By the way, Kazuho Miyauchi would probably be an excellent example should a future installment of "The List" be about "Motherly Elder Sisters".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
Fusa Takehara from "Xam'd: Lost Memories" is a strong-willed mom. In fact, she cares greatly for her son (Akiyuki the hero).

Her entry from the series' Wikipedia and MyAnimelist pages:

Quote:
Akiyuki's mother. A strong-willed woman who cares deeply about her son and her typically, overworking husband. Although the relationship between husband and wife is strained because of his frequent absence from the household, she remains with him for the sake of their child. She is a resolute woman, who, upon discovering that her child had gone missing, takes it upon herself to try and find her son, regardless of whether or not her husband is compassionate enough to abandon his work to help her. She has a very familiar relationship with Haru, and seems to be able to entrust her son's wellbeing to her, when later Haru was able to confirm that her son is indeed alive.
[/quote]
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Winry Rockbell

My first waifu and all because of that type of clothing she wore...
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
chaccide wrote:
Looks like the best anime mom is a dead anime mom!

Damn, that's just...ouch. Anime hyper

Well... you know, the life expectancy of parents in shounen action shows and weepy dramas....

One comment that once got a laugh out of me was after someone made a list out of.... the 7 most dangerous anime occupations or something, and someone said in the forums that "Nope, the most dangerous job ever is being the dad of a shounen protagonist." Laughing

unfortunately those are the type of parents that end up being fan favs within the otaku community. especially when it comes to some deceased moms that screams "otaku bait".

however chi chi is another story. she is definitely no suberb mom. bulma or 18,yes. but not the most hot tempered and overprotected parent EVER!!!!!

and speaking of deceased moms, sakura's mother from CCS should definitely be on this list or least get a mention since it was clear she had a part in her daughter's personality which was why i believe those clow cards took an instant liking to her in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4