• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Weekly Shonen Jump's Circulation Drops Below 2 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Jump is in desperate need of new and popular series, the only series that does over 1 mil sales in tanks is One Piece and HxH, the rest are far below. The current class aren't cutting it. Assassination Classroom was their last big hit in the past 5 years but that ended last year. Haikyu!! gets an honorable mention (below 800k sales).
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Jump is in desperate need of new and popular series, the only series that does over 1 mil sales in tanks is One Piece and HxH, the rest are far below. The current class aren't cutting it. Assassination Classroom was their last big hit in the past 5 years but that ended last year. Haikyu!! gets an honorable mention (below 800k sales).
Series that sell over 1 mil are in general super rare. The only series that reached that level in 2016 were One piece, Attack on titan, Assassination classroom, Hunter x Hunter, and a single Haikyuu volume. In 2015 Naruto and one Tokyo Ghoul volume did as well, but no other series.
slau783

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The circulation number is as important as the sold though number, due to SJ shipping weekly. You don´t adjust the numbers down if you are trending up and digital sales aren´t the savior of the comic industry many somehow expected them to be.

No one said it was not important. It's one of the metrics used for a lot of things, such as setting advertising rates. I was just saying the article needs to explain what print circulation is as some people seem to be confusing it with sales. Print sales have been decreasing for some time and without seeing numbers for the digital side I don't have much to comment on. But it is possible to adjust down the print numbers if people are getting digital instead, even if you are trending up. No numbers to prove that, just saying it's a possibility since the number printed is partly based on the number of physical copies they expect to sell.
I agree that digital is not the savior people thought it might be. There are definitely other factors at play here. People only have so much time in a day and there is so much other stuff competing for time these days, such as video games, the internet, etc. There are also people like me who just buys the compiled volumes.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
Not saying print vs. digital (go print!) isn't a factor but isn't there also a major demographic problem with fewer Japanese kids having been born over the past few decades so that there are naturally fewer readers for magazines aimed primarily at the shounen and shoujo demographics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gaptoothsailor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Not saying print vs. digital (go print!) isn't a factor but isn't there also a major demographic problem with fewer Japanese kids having been born over the past few decades so that there are naturally fewer readers for magazines aimed primarily at the shounen and shoujo demographics?
This was the same immediate response as J*** from Viz Media who also frequents the official (English) Weekly Shonen Jump Podcast. Not to mention, with the move to digital, it seems unlikely that children would have less access to mobile devices or digital subscription services, as has been mentioned in this thread earlier. Frankly, I think the numbers don't make much sense without the social context of both Japan's population dwindling gradually, and the larger push towards digital media--many people know about the Galapagos effect of how flip phones evolved more over there than in Western culture; however, that doesn't mean that the country has shied away entirely from adopting smart devices as a whole. I subscribe to the shonen jump official youtube channel, and several months ago Shueisha uploaded multiple videos advertising Jump+ (their version of our NA Viz app) which allows for in-app purchases of weekly magazine issues (Weekly Shonen/Young/GIGA/Ultra JUMP titles) and even individual series chapters and volumes. The fact that they got important, prolific actors such as Ryusei Nakao (voice of Frieza, Caesar Clown, Mayuri Kurotsuchi) among others to join the ad campaign must mean something about the money and effort they're pushing to this media. So I feel that this data isn't accurate; or rather, provided with enough context. Yes, the (print) manga industry is shrinking, but I don't think it's indicative of any sort of negative growth or "death." It feels like cherry-picking, as we don't have nearly as much information to truly gauge how publishing companies are doing in terms of revenue from sources outside their print circulation--speaking of which, isn't stuff like merch and sponsorship money equally important to gauging stuff like success potential of franchises that end up getting anime adaptations? Sorry for the long-winded response but I had a lot more feelings about this than I thought, as I ended up seeing a youtube video last week that came to a similar conclusion and it set some flags to me.

Last edited by gaptoothsailor on Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Like everyone else, I also think its because people are switching to digital. Of course, we can make any definitive statement without any data but I wouldn't be surprised.

ZODDGUTS wrote:

I feel like Jump has been debuting a lot of new series but whether they're popular enough to make a profit is a different story. Its too bad that there's always one potentially interesting series that'll get canceled but that's business for you.

Tenchi wrote:

I wonder if the average age of a Jump reader is now skewing older. People subscribing to Jump mainly for One Piece, Boruto, or Hunter x Hunter, are probably older than the target demographic. Then again, I'm sure fans of Black Clover, My Hero Academia, Haikyu, etc. are much younger so maybe the overall Jump audience is mix of both.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 am Reply with quote
Too bad we don't have information regarding the digital sales, but I'm confident that the shift to digital sales is a major factor in the drop of physical sales. And the second surely is Naruto and Bleach ending with HunterXHunter and World Trigger going on hiatus. Which leaves few titles people are interested in.

One Piece and Hero Academia surely are propping up the magazine, but it's not going to be that way forever. SJ needs to find new titles, same with other magazine companies. We are pretty much in a manga slump right now. And the Anime industry is more focused on Light Novels than manga titles. So I wouldn't be surprised a few years from now, we will be seeing a corresponding drop in Anime titles because of the slowdown in Japanese creativity.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Jump have plenty of new promising manga: The promised Neverland,
Yuuna of Yuragi Manor, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone and maybe even Robot x Laserbeam, people from the West just don't care about these titles, at least not yet. It truly is unfortunate we have no data on digital sales in general.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Jump have plenty of new promising manga: The promised Neverland,
Yuuna of Yuragi Manor, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Dr. Stone and maybe even Robot x Laserbeam, people from the West just don't care about these titles, at least not yet. It truly is unfortunate we have no data on digital sales in general.

That's the thing, Westerners do read these titles and it's just sparking interest. That should worry SJ Editors.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
Nothing new.
Even in Japan, people are going Digital.
Also, there are so many new entertainment media going on, that I'm surprised the numbers are still so high.
ssj1236

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:15 am Reply with quote
OR maybe you know..........with all the big series done long term readers just decided to say fudge it we're free!!!!
But seriously, the only "good" (not close to Naruto, Bleach or any big names) series in the past few years has been Hero Academia the rest are subpar, to be honest.
Shounen Jump needs more battle, action, adventure manga's like Bleach Naruto OP
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:41 am Reply with quote
ssj1236 wrote:

But seriously, the only "good" (not close to Naruto, Bleach or any big names) series in the past few years has been Hero Academia the rest are subpar, to be honest.

Not true, you're just nostalgic about the old stuff that finished.
NightRunner7

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Series that sell over 1 mil are in general super rare. The only series that reached that level in 2016 were One piece, Attack on titan, Assassination classroom, Hunter x Hunter, and a single Haikyuu volume. In 2015 Naruto and one Tokyo Ghoul volume did as well, but no other series.

Naruto and Hunter x Hunter were selling over 1 million per volume. And it seems Jump is not gonna have big-sellers like them anytime soon.(of course Naruto finale in 2014 must be effected more it was consistent it ran 700 chapters on Jump for 15 years) so now I wonder what will happen after One Piece end...
Patches

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Thing is, with many of these magazines now offering digital copies, it substantially widens their market. I used to have a print subscription to Monthly Shounen Magazine through a US-based Japanese market, and it ran about $15 an issue with import and shipping fees, and I'd receive it about a week after release. Now that the magazine has gone digital, I can buy it myself on release day for about $4. There are a couple of online booksellers (ebookjapan and Sony Reader Store) that support international digital purchases, mostly due to not requiring a Japanese billing address.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2