• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I'd rather have a Chinese-Japanese live-action co-production versus an Americanized version that would likely get whitewashed.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Midaro wrote:
They even have my support if they decide to change the knight's hair colour from green, violet and blue to brown. After all, it seems to me that their hair colour's only reason to be is not due to fashion or to any aesthetic movement in most cases, but to distinguish the characters in the drawings, cause they looked a lot a like. So the pink, violet, blue and green hair colours are not necessary in the movies. The film would look more realistic. But the long hair and haircuts are rather cool. I would keep them.

Yet, if they want to keep the colours, I hope they dont' use garish ones, and to use them integrated as an artistic element in the photography and atmosphere of the film.

The Blueray remastered anime is too garish for my taste, though very clean. I have both versions and the original wouldn't hurt my eyes. I could get into the story with no distraction.

That wouldn't be a problem. In the manga, they had normal hair colors for the most part. Black, Brown, and Blonde were the hair colors of our main five, and Athena had brown hair as well.

I mean, look at the Gold Saints, they mostly had normal hair colors as well.

Admittedly, a French man with natural Red Hair is a bit rare, but still.

I'd definitely love to see them keep the manga colors as well. Ikki's Cloth was pure orange in the manga, and it looked great.

The Cloths in the manga also had more texture to them. Details seemed to be part of the metal, whereas the anime often made it look like they were painted on flat material. Loss some depth there.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I can't see this working in the US. I feel like something like Hellsing or Gunsmith Cats would work better for the US. Get the director of John Wick to make a Gunsmith Cats movie and it would be gold! Saint Seiya would be view as too goofy for the US audience.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I can't see this working in the US. I feel like something like Hellsing or Gunsmith Cats would work better for the US. Get the director of John Wick to make a Gunsmith Cats movie and it would be gold! Saint Seiya would be view as too goofy for the US audience.

But Toei doesn't own those. Toei is producing this movie to get a Hollywood movie of one of their biggest international successes out there. No doubt they're producing so another Dragonball Evolution doesn't happen.
Midaro

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

But Toei doesn't own those. Toei is producing this movie to get a Hollywood movie of one of their biggest international successes out there. No doubt they're producing so another Dragonball Evolution doesn't happen.

I agree, and I believe it could be really epic if they do it right and work hard on the design of the armours so that all of them look cool before the camera and not like cosplay. I think they should use the old armours. I'd love to see a dragon gead in Shiryu's head. But if this went well and they made the Hades saga after wards... I mean, they could make a trilogy or duology for each season if they wanted to focusing on the combacts. It would have more story than the Hobbit's. One of the problems translating this type of series and of superheroe movies is the compression and not leaving one moment of solitude for the character to think before the camera and transmit whatever is feeling inside. It's just action, action and action sequence after sequence and it gets boring. There comes a moment in which you no longer care about who's kicked who. In the anime the music helped portray the inner suffering of the characters and their resolution to continue no matter what. It helped slow the pace. Such an amazing soundtrack.
Midaro

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Midaro wrote:
They even have my support if they decide to change the knight's hair colour from green, violet and blue to brown. After all, it seems to me that their hair colour's only reason to be is not due to fashion or to any aesthetic movement in most cases, but to distinguish the characters in the drawings, cause they looked a lot a like. So the pink, violet, blue and green hair colours are not necessary in the movies. The film would look more realistic. But the long hair and haircuts are rather cool. I would keep them.

Yet, if they want to keep the colours, I hope they dont' use garish ones, and to use them integrated as an artistic element in the photography and atmosphere of the film.

The Blueray remastered anime is too garish for my taste, though very clean. I have both versions and the original wouldn't hurt my eyes. I could get into the story with no distraction.

That wouldn't be a problem. In the manga, they had normal hair colors for the most part. Black, Brown, and Blonde were the hair colors of our main five, and Athena had brown hair as well.

I mean, look at the Gold Saints, they mostly had normal hair colors as well.

Admittedly, a French man with natural Red Hair is a bit rare, but still.

I'd definitely love to see them keep the manga colors as well. Ikki's Cloth was pure orange in the manga, and it looked great.

The Cloths in the manga also had more texture to them. Details seemed to be part of the metal, whereas the anime often made it look like they were painted on flat material. Loss some depth there.

So cool indeed. Ikki is my favorite. Saga too and Shiryu too. And the Hades armours. Wow imagine that one day we could see the winged dark cloths as well.

And I would love to see the combact where Pegasus won the armour, to see Shaina's mask breaking, Marin teaching Seiya, Shiryu against the waterfall, Ikki in the island, Hyoga diving under the glaciar. The armours being repaired, The old master... The different scenarios and those back stories are very important. I don't want to rise my expectations but to transmit what we expect in case they ever read this. I'm sure they'll do what they can.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope that this translates well into live action. The one thing I'm wondering is, is it going to be a retelling of a certain arc? Sanctuary's been done plenty of times before in that bad CG film and in the video games, so why not try another arc, like Poseidon? That arc was bad in the manga like a filler arc (and ironically the Asgard arc in the anime didn't feel like one :S)...

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Saint Seiya is my favorite series, particularly because of the characters and the music. I do prefer the manga over the anime. In a way, Saint Seiya has a very epic universe and scope, but a live action adaptation seems tough to pull off. If they try to cram the Sanctuary arc like they did with Legend of Sanctuary, it'll be just plain awful. The Black Saints could be sort of skipped, but they should find a way to start with Ikki as an antagonist.

Don't know. As a standalone movie, I'm not sure there's much that can be pulled off, unless they plan it as a series. But I hope I'm wrong and it's good. I'd love to see their take on the Inferno part.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4