• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Gets New Anime Film on January 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:44 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:

That's why I said "any type of release." TBS is reportedly one of the worst licensors to work with and this isn't a big franchise series outside of Japan or made by a famous director, so it's doubtful that it'd play in theatres despite the increase in anime films in theatres. Streaming is doubtful prior to a disc release as the finances aren't there yet to make it worthwhile for US release with TBS titles. (Silent Voice is rare and it did run in theatres prior to digital release) I just don't see it happening very soon in the West.
I do agree with this but really hope your wrong
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Anyone else see how film-crazy KyoAni has been recently? We've had Sound! Euphonium film's, A Silent Voice, three Free! films coming out this year, and now this next year! I wonder if they make a ton at the box office there, and if doing films is more profitable than dvd/bd sales have been? Or maybe they just want to make movies?

Either way, this is very exciting and I can't wait to watch it! Hopefully Sentai secures the license and distribution rights asap since they have them for the first Chu2 movie already.

Side note - we have a release date for a film we never knew about, but still no word on Violet Evergarden?!

-Marc.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
TBS is reportedly one of the worst licensors to work with and this isn't a big franchise series outside of Japan or made by a famous director, so it's doubtful that it'd play in theaters despite the increase in anime films in theaters.
I also have heard that TBS is a hard licensor to work with, but I have also heard that for Japanese producers showing anime movies in U.S. theaters is seen as something prestigious. If TBS does not value that, they are not very smart businessmen.

Quote:
Streaming is doubtful prior to a disc release as the finances aren't there yet to make it worthwhile for US release with TBS titles. (Silent Voice is rare and it did run in theaters prior to digital release) I just don't see it happening very soon in the West.
Again, TBS is bad at business if they refuse a hypothetical $US 20,000-30,000 license deal with Sentai to stream the movie. Also, there is already a fanbase for this movie because this is a sequel to two previous tv seasons; there should be money to be made in streaming.

I get that licensing anime can be hard, but things should work out when money can be made by both the Japanese licensor and foreign publisher.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Well this seems kind of out of no where. But I love Rikka so I'll take it
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Rikka's chūnibyō powers should make the trip around Italy a memorable experience of excitement! Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Rikka's chūnibyō powers should make the trip around Italy a memorable experience of excitement! Smile

Except that the trip will be around Japan.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is a welcome surprise. I look forward to seeing this whenever it becomes available here.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, this makes me happy. Big fan of the anime. And, with Sentai having licensed the first movie, I'm confident in believing they will get this one too (eventually).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Side note - we have a release date for a film we never knew about, but still no word on Violet Evergarden?!

I've heard winter (the pertinent information is near the bottom of the article) but I don't know that it was explicitly confirmed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2