• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
In Another World With My Smartphone (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
me just saying

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I got hooked on anime because of the first season. It got me looking for more isekai anime and that was that, I was hooked. It was enjoyable to watch, and lost count of the number of times I watched it. Well, I only watched the last episode a couple of times. Did not care for it so I usually skipped it.

I was excited when I saw there was a second season coming. BUT, what happened to the magic of the first season. IMO, the second season was too focus on his future wives and the harem. Maybe a few minutes here and there was a real story, but not enough to keep me interested. If there is a third season, I hope it is better.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:37 am Reply with quote
I’ll finish the last two episodes just because I have come this far but honestly the show seems dead at this point. I’m not even feeling wish fulfillment anymore. Just plodding from place to place with any random girl he meets attaching themselves to him instantly. None of them seem to have distinct personalities and he doesn’t seem to care. It’s just a sea of generic girls and a MC who ports from place to place.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I have read almost all of the novels. I would not call the written series a masterpiece, but there is plenty of fun to be had. The evolving mystery of the phrase, building up Brunhild bit by bit, some action with some weird enemies and bit of romance time with the harem. It works because it mixes things up well and because of many small details. With this season they have put the harem front and center and even adding filler content to it while cutting everything else as much as possible.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:44 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
I’ll finish the last two episodes just because I have come this far but honestly the show seems dead at this point...

I feel the same way and it makes me sad because S1 was fun but S2 is just repetitively dull. I gave it a few weeks off and Ep12 doesn't seem any better and it had potential initially. I can't even imagine the target demographic finding it worthwhile. The disappointment of the season so far...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:14 am Reply with quote
Considering I have all the novels now, I should be the target audience, but like I said, 90% of the good stuff from the novels has been cut out off the anime. It is basically just the harem stuff and that was never the best part of the series.
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 am Reply with quote
The show had all the qualities and charm of a crappy harem ecchi that has 90% of the ecchi edited out without replacing any of the blank screen time. 2 episodes to go and I’m done. Why I’m bothering is a mystery.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:03 am Reply with quote
InfiniteJest wrote:
The show had all the qualities and charm of a crappy harem ecchi that has 90% of the ecchi edited out without replacing any of the blank screen time. 2 episodes to go and I’m done. Why I’m bothering is a mystery.

I'm not watching this show, but the question you pose is one of the great mysteries of anime viewing. Why do so many of us persist on dutifully watching a title to completion when we have already determined that it's not very good? I have done this countless times myself and am currently doing it with other shows this very season, like with KamiKatsu (which, to be fair, is such a mess in an unusual enough way that it qualifies under the "stopping to stare at roadkill" category).

I hope evolutionary biologists can one day explain this bizarre behaviour because I sure can't.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not watching this show, but the question you pose is one of the great mysteries of anime viewing. Why do so many of us persist on dutifully watching a title to completion when we have already determined that it's not very good? ...I hope evolutionary biologists can one day explain this bizarre behaviour because I sure can't.

I doubt evolutionary theory can help with rationalizing this but it is a feature of human behavior that I think is rooted in our perceptual processing system and maybe mixed with a little unease with the unknown. Broadly, people dislike incomplete patterns, whether they are chord progressions or unsolved mysteries or interrupted stories. People seem to want things to make sense but that requires complete information about said "thing" and a coherent structure to hang it on. One could say that people find incompleteness more dissatisfying than a complete but unappealing pattern (story).

If one discontinues following a story to it's end, there is also the unease that one doesn't know how it ends, even if it is entirely predictable and there is no real desire to know it. There is satisfaction in seeing the story ended as expected or at least seeing what happened relative to the rest of the story. With this show, I don't care to know what I missed, good riddance to this waste of time. I will follow Kamikatsu to the end at least because it has some entertainment value.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
A week later... I may have, once again, already forgotten this show exists...

Every week I'd watch it and left thinking... "what happened last week?"

Now that it's over(?) I'm trying to remember how it ended.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you say the harem grew bigger or was talking about how perfect Touya is then you would be right 90% of the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3