• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Brother-Sister Romances That Went Too Far

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
Just thought about it. How the hell didn't kissxsis make the list?

Kiss x Sis was about twin girls macking on their step-brother. The titles picked for the list all involved relationships between blood-related siblings.

Although frankly, I find the whole premise of Kiss x Sis distasteful on another level, given that its effectively about older high school girls seducing a middle-schooler. Not technically illegal I don't think, since Japan's age of consent is 13 and I think the boy is 14 or 15, but it was still kind of icky to me personally. If they were college age or adults, I wouldn't have had nearly as big an issue with it.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
In the case of Kagihime Monogatari - Eikyuu Alice Rondo, if memory serves, they weren't really brother/sister by blood, which may not make much difference since they still grew up as family either way.

With Koi Kaze, what bothered me way more than the incest was the age difference between the two--and it wasn't a simple age difference but flat-out pedophilia. I'm honestly surprised how not more people point this out, unless it's just one of those things viewers prefer to leave unspoken so that the series is not more uncomfortable to watch than it is.

The only thing I'll mention about Oreimo is that I can't wait to finally read the Kuroneko manga, because all reviews I read say it retcons the anime's ending the best possible way, which I sorely need. Even after all this time, the anime's ending and the irreparable damage it did to the characters' relationships still haunts me to this day and I need to wash it out with the manga's ending.

This was also the title that made me fed up with any and all brother/sister romances, with the minor exception of Angel Sanctuary, which I LOVE. The incest angle is messed up, the manga doesn't hide that it's messed up, and everything that happens in the story is messed up in more ways than one, and it manages to do it in a way where everything's well-written and strangely intriguing all the way to its epic end.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm really surprised AkiSora did not make number 1. But it is based on the OVAs, not the original manga, which went so much further
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
Also like clockwork when a discussion about Incest comes up someone will defend it under the rubric of consent.

If it's two healthy consenting adults who act responsibly to prevent negative consequences, and with no abuse of power involved, what's your beef with it, other than prejudiced notions of what morals, religious or otherwise, ought to be?...

Ultimately yes it does ultimately boil down to a religious objection as I base my ethics upon The Christian Scriptures that does lead me to take rather traditional views on human sexuality. I was merely observing again that when ever the topic of Incest is brought up in a discussion of Anime. There are always a few such as yourself apparently who like to argue from a perspective that consent is the only thing that matters in human sexual relations.

While those that argue against it for the most part merely seem to take a stance against it as being improper, deviant, or injurious genetically, socially or developmentally to the potential children in the relationship in question (I'm speaking in generalities having observed this line of argumentation in previous discussions on Incest in this forum and others). The objective immorality of such a relationship seems to be tabled.

Now I could lay out a Biblical case but you have made up your mind that Incest is fine as long as it is in you're words "consensual." This would be an exercise in futility on my part, so to reiterate my first point.

Yes my opposition to incest in real life is ultimately based upon Religious principle. human sexuality is more than a mere contractual reciprocity of consent if you see it as only that or can't see more then that than res ipsa loquitur.

Ultimately humanity is and this is my presupposition derived from Scripture is sexually broken as a product of The Fall wrought by Adam as our Federal Head as it is sin. So people outside of regeneration are going to have desires that are Sinful and violate the Scriptural mandate for healthy Human sexuality and if not Regenerated Monergisticly will be turned over completely to them by the Soveirgn hand of God.

Although sexual brokenness like all sin still lays coiled like an Asp in the heart of the Believer as well ready to strike at a moments notice. Yet, Grace and Spiritual empowerment by The Holy Ghost gives strength to resist temptation and forgiveness through Christ's shed blood when they fall. But I digress.

As far as Incest in fiction goes it is merely fiction, and I wouldn't dream of pushing for any kind of censorship on any kind of fiction no matter how morally repugnant I may find the content in real life.

Ultimately whatever disagreement is had about real life Incest is an argument over one's ethical and more basically epistemic presuppositions and world view. Also simple logic and reason I could use argumentum ad absurdum to show ridiculousness of your argument. But this all risks getting severely off topic and derailing the thread but yes this is ultimately my point I'm making and barring Monergistic Regeneration darkness can not comprehend the light morally speaking.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
Aside from the fact that only in North America are step-siblings and cousins considered incest, I have a little something to say on this topic:

I don't care.

Really, I am shocked that a consensual relationship between siblings old enough (preferably adults, and not much late teens) to know what they want gets more slack than adultery (not to confuse with polyamory or open relationships), banking scandals, the increassing of the rich/poor divide, wars of aggression, rejection of climate change, you name it. It is nothing but disgust, not a rational behavior. I'm pretty some of these people are better than many ''normal'' people out there.

I'm glad there are anime works that go ''to far''. The more people scream and shout about something, the more they have to think about it, and it amuses me. Come on, bring out more sultry work and intensify it.

Out of this list, I only intend to watch Koi Kaze. Though I have watched Grisaia.

Sorry society at large will never normalize you wanting to bang your siblings I guess. Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, this argument is like something you'd expect to hear from some pretentious dude on the Jerry Springer show or something.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Koi Kaze is in great need of a license rescue; it is as measured and delicate as its reputation would suggest. Sadly it may never receive one due to its subject matter—it works so deftly to explore and ultimately justify its objectionable premise, though it still has to overcome people's hesitation to view it on that very basis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
You mean they didn't go far enough right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
How did Heine Wittgenstein from The Royal Tutor get overlooked for the poll? Well, he's there now! Smile
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Koi Kaze is in great need of a license rescue; it is as measured and delicate as its reputation would suggest. Sadly it may never receive one due to its subject matter—it works so deftly to explore and ultimately justify its objectionable premise, though it still has to overcome people's hesitation to view it on that very basis.

I'd love for either discotek or Sendai to get it and give it a Blu-ray release.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
With Koi Kaze, what bothered me way more than the incest was the age difference between the two--and it wasn't a simple age difference but flat-out pedophilia. I'm honestly surprised how not more people point this out, unless it's just one of those things viewers prefer to leave unspoken so that the series is not more uncomfortable to watch than it is.

Yeah, I was always concerned about the age difference, too, but "pedophilia" isn't the right word for it. Though she looks younger, Nanoka was actually 15 when the relationship started and 16 when spoiler[they consummated it.] That's distinctly above the age where pedophilia would typically be applied.

Now, that doesn't mean that it's not still inappropriate. I've worked with students that age on a regular basis in my professional career, and there aren't many 15 or 16-year-olds (of either gender!) who are truly mature enough for a relationship with a 27-year-old on equal terms. But the series also deserves credit for walking the tightrope on age/maturity-related power dynamic issues, too.

Quote:
The only thing I'll mention about Oreimo is that I can't wait to finally read the Kuroneko manga, because all reviews I read say it retcons the anime's ending the best possible way, which I sorely need. Even after all this time, the anime's ending and the irreparable damage it did to the characters' relationships still haunts me to this day and I need to wash it out with the manga's ending.

Had not heard this. Will definitely check the manga out if it gets an English release, as I'd love to see that ending retconned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
No mention yet of Boku wa Imouto ni Koi o Suru? It's probably one of the defining ones in this genre. And an early example to boot. It might only been an OVA, but the original manga spanned 12 volumes.

Also Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka, but only the anime adaptation and PC version of the visual novel...

Key wrote:
The overwhelming majority of cultures which currently exist or ever have existed in this world have had taboos and prohibitions against incest and there are documented psychological effects which reinforce the separating power of incest taboos.

There's certainly a reason incest is frowned upon and have safeguards against it, not only among humans but basically over the entire animal kingdom. However we are in a novel position as humans. We now know the reasons behind the harm of it, and can act to counter it. That's why I said the part about 'responsibility'. In view of modern knowledge, many things related to human behavior have been seen in a new light, and cultures and laws have adapted accordingly, if lucky.

@Parsifal24 I can't blame you for giving such an answer considering where you come from. But I don't believe in religion and in contrast to you for me it's self-evident those safeguards against incest arose through evolution(same goes for morals), the harm associated we now know how to prevent in the first place.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:

Had not heard this. Will definitely check the manga out if it gets an English release, as I'd love to see that ending retconned.

Now, if there was a Ayase retconned, that's a manga i would look for (even if Kirino ending was good too, i would prefer Ayase).
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:

The 6 volumes of the Kuroneko manga are sitting on the shelf to my left, yes it does end better than the Anime or the source LN's. Much better. I believe that the people working on the manga saw the train wreck that the main Oreimo titles had and they set our to do their best to avoid it. Thank you Dark Horse for bringing it to us.

I bought the first season of Oreimo's Anime and, so far as I'm concerned, there was never a second.

About age differences and maturity, my mother was 16 when she married my father who was 25. That was in 1938, their marriage lasted until 1995 when my dad passed away. My mother was more than mature enough to decide what she wanted to do, this per her older sister and her mother. If anyone was not mature enough it was probably my dad.

Mark Gosdin
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
There's certainly a reason incest is frowned upon and have safeguards against it, not only among humans but basically over the entire animal kingdom. However we are in a novel position as humans. We now know the reasons behind the harm of it, and can act to counter it. That's why I said the part about 'responsibility'. In view of modern knowledge, many things related to human behavior have been seen in a new light, and cultures and laws have adapted accordingly, if lucky.

And yet that hasn't happened with incest, unlike with, say, homosexuality. (At least in the U.S., anyway. In some countries homosexuality is still as unacceptable and unlawful as it ever was.) I don't think it's a moral or religious issue, either, but a more deeply-seeded aversion. Like bestiality, I don't see it being widely-regarded as acceptable anytime within my lifetime.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Pushing your own values and morals to fiction? Perish the thought! Because we all have to play by social mores and capitulate to prudes when it comes to writing a story of a relationship about people who don't exist in real life. I dread to think of what anime would be like if they had to march at the beat of you guys' drums.

Red Fox of Fire wrote:
1. Incest doesn't need to result in children.

This. I'd also like to add how incest relationships in anime never even show them having kids, but I suppose that would discredit the nay sayers fervor against something they're so emotionally invested in.

Last edited by Paiprince on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9