• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Microsoft Reveals Xbox One X Console, Xbox Backward Compatibility

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
It seems that Microsoft are determined to make the Xbox One X at least somewhat successful in Japan, despite having suffered failures with the original Xbox and the Xbox 360...
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
The name Xbox One X seems to lean towards redundancy.

Just saying
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying
Seriously? It's just an upgraded Xbox One. The title's also smart.

X
Box
One
X
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:33 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying

X
Box
One
X

Yeah, about as smart as WiiU was after the Wii. Should have just left it as Scorpio.

Also when kid asks parent for an Xbox One, and parent goes to game store and sees Xbox One S for $299 w/games and Xbox One X for $499, which version do you think most parents would buy?

I already have an Xbox One and a PS4 pro, why would I shell out another $499US for a console that has the same games I can get already on these? 4K? Whoopie sh!t...no exclusives, no deal.;

Honestly, I really want to support the Xbox and see it succeed, because competition means a healthy industry, but Microsofts strategies completely bemuse me. Honestly can't see them in the console race within 10 years, this XBOX is going to bomb and bomb hard.
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying

X
Box
One
X

Yeah, about as smart as WiiU was after the Wii. Should have just left it as Scorpio.

Also when kid asks parent for an Xbox One, and parent goes to game store and sees Xbox One S for $299 w/games and Xbox One X for $499, which version do you think most parents would buy?

I already have an Xbox One and a PS4 pro, why would I shell out another $499US for a console that has the same games I can get already on these? 4K? Whoopie sh!t...no exclusives, no deal.;

Honestly, I really want to support the Xbox and see it succeed, because competition means a healthy industry, but Microsofts strategies completely bemuse me. Honestly can't see them in the console race within 10 years, this XBOX is going to bomb and bomb hard.

Not sure how you think this is anything like the Wii and the WiiU. Those are two completely different consoles that run different software.

This is just a new version of the Xbox One. Many electronics out there have multiple concurrent versions depending on your preference. Some are fine with a plain MacBook, others want the MacBook Pro.
If you can't understand the difference, then this console is obviously not for you.

If you're about graphics and have some money to spend, go for the X. If you're short on cash or simply don't care about graphics or 4K, go with a normal Xbox One S.

This is nothing but a positive for gamers, so I don't understand your logic in thinking it's the worst. Microsoft is building a huge library of games that you can play regardless of your device, something I think is very smart and comsumer-friendly.
ManiacBlasphemer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:51 am Reply with quote
People who get the new console just because it support 4K native (as opposed to PS4 Pro which supports a combiation of 4K upscale and native) are deluded. As of now, there is just 1 single title that adapted to support 4K, and that is the new Halo game. Which sucks btw. If you do not have a PS4, get the PS4 Pro, if you have PS4, stick with it.
xScar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
ManiacBlasphemer wrote:
People who get the new console just because it support 4K native (as opposed to PS4 Pro which supports a combiation of 4K upscale and native) are deluded. As of now, there is just 1 single title that adapted to support 4K, and that is the new Halo game. Which sucks btw. If you do not have a PS4, get the PS4 Pro, if you have PS4, stick with it.

What? The Xbox One X does native 4K and supersampling to 4K. Even if you don't have a 4K TV, all games will look better because of added antialiasing, higher texture sample rates, and better framerates. I supposed you missed at the games they announced that would run at native 4K during the show: Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct, Halo Wars 2, Minecraft, Final Fantasy XV, Resident Evil 7, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, Rocket League, and 30 other third-party games are getting patches for native 4K. Then you have new games coming out that will obvious be 4K as well like Forza.

Perhaps you're confusing the One S and the One X? The One S doesn't run games at native 4K at all, it only does upscaling (and a very simple one at that, without any real additional filtering like the One X has). It does do 4K video for UHD BD and Netflix though.

I'm not sure how you recommend the PS4 Pro over the PS4, but then say not to get the Xbox One X over Xbox One S for your reasons provided. I can totally understand the price standpoint or those who don't need/want native 4K gaming... but saying you shouldn't because of the gaming support and native/upscaling options isn't a sound position.

Last edited by xScar on Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:59 am Reply with quote
All these announcements and reveals, especially with the Xbox One X. (Scorpio was a cooler name IMO)

The most exciting news was the expansion of backwards capacities to the original Xbox for me. Razz
megazero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:25 am Reply with quote
Make sure don't forget to mention the 'X' after Xbox One when you plan to buy the gaming console.
Otherwise, you'll get the Xbox One.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
But where are the games?
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 am Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying

They derived the name from this phrase, "No power greater than X". Hence, Xbox One X. No greater power. It's quite a smart title given their reasoning.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
CurseTheSky wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying

X
Box
One
X

Phil Spencer has already explained the Xbox One X is not for the casual gamer. Some little child's parents are not going to be buying the One X and Microsoft knows that. Did you even listen to the reason why they built this thing in the first place? And it's not their answer to the PS4 Pro(even though this Xbox destroys that thing). Go read some interviews with Phil, then maybe you'll probably know what you're talking about.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
But where are the games?

22 Console exclusives launching with or soon after the One X in November.
davem1992ftw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Ulinox wrote:
But where are the games?

22 Console exclusives launching with or soon after the One X in November.

Actually most of them were "launch exclusive" so there's a very high chance they'll come to PS4 as well.

Was a total waste of time.
CurseTheSky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
CurseTheSky wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
XerneasYveltal wrote:

Just saying

X
Box
One
X

Phil Spencer has already explained the Xbox One X is not for the casual gamer. Some little child's parents are not going to be buying the One X and Microsoft knows that. Did you even listen to the reason why they built this thing in the first place? And it's not their answer to the PS4 Pro(even though this Xbox destroys that thing). Go read some interviews with Phil, then maybe you'll probably know what you're talking about.

This is exactly the strategy i am talking about not understanding, if it is only going to appeal to the hardcore Xbox fans then what is the point in it? It won't sell any more units than the original Xbox One.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3