• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Produce English Dub for Flying Witch Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:

Well this, and next volume release of "The Ancient Magus Bride"! on July 4.

June 14th is the release date for Volume 6, and July 5th the release date for Volume 7, at least according to Amazon.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Sweet that there dubing this one but they need to dub other slice of life anime
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:

Well this, and next volume release of "The Ancient Magus Bride"! on July 4.

June 14th is the release date for Volume 6, and July 5th the release date for Volume 7, at least according to Amazon.

Thanks for the info!

Wow! That even better news!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Whoever is surprised by this dub announcement has not been paying attention to Sentai's inability to acquire enough high profile and popular titles in the last 20 months. And like others have mentioned, I hope Flip Flappers also gets a dub.

Well, I like Flying Witch, but of the titles that Sentai has acquired in the last 20 months, I prefer Girlish Number, Chihayafuru, the third season of Haikyuu!!. There's also a number of at least sort of high profile titles from the current season that Sentai licensed which are on Amazon's Anime Strike, like the DanMachi spinoff Sword Oratoria. Even if a few things have been disappointing (Sagrada Reset, ahem), hasn't this currently airing season had quite a lot of early-announced Sentai licenses thanks to the complex interaction with the CR-Funi alliance and Amazon's Anime Strike?

They also had a ton of stuff announced 23 months ago, like Monster Musume, the second season of Food Wars, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Maybe you're only counting things that first aired in Japan in the last 20 months, though, so no Chihayafuru or LoGH. They have the second season of GATE as well, AIUI.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:27 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Well, I like Flying Witch, but of the titles that Sentai has acquired in the last 20 months, I prefer Girlish Number, Chihayafuru, the third season of Haikyuu!!. There's also a number of at least sort of high profile titles from the current season that Sentai licensed which are on Amazon's Anime Strike, like the DanMachi spinoff Sword Oratoria. Even if a few things have been disappointing (Sagrada Reset, ahem), hasn't this currently airing season had quite a lot of early-announced Sentai licenses thanks to the complex interaction with the CR-Funi alliance and Amazon's Anime Strike?

Shows like Chihayafuru and Girlish Number are good stuff, but I am not sure how high profile and/or popular they are. I am not trying to badmouth Sentai. They are my favorite anime distributor and want them to rebound and license at least 30 new shows every year. Their assumed partnership with Amazon seems like a good idea, and I hope it benefits Sentai.

Quote:
They also had a ton of stuff announced 23 months ago, like Monster Musume, the second season of Food Wars, and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. Maybe you're only counting things that first aired in Japan in the last 20 months, though, so no Chihayafuru or LoGH. They have the second season of GATE as well, AIUI.

You said it yourself; 23 months ago Sentai was still getting a good amount of strong titles. And yes, I am counting from the time shows start airing in Japan, which is usually the time frame when Sentai usually announces their licenses. But hopefully Spring 2017 is an indication of more good things to come for Sentai.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
@TarsTarkas

Volume 6 of The Ancient Magus Bride came out the last week in December.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna buy this regardless of a dub, but its nice to see it get one.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
You said it yourself; 23 months ago Sentai was still getting a good amount of strong titles. And yes, I am counting from the time shows start airing in Japan, which is usually the time frame when Sentai usually announces their licenses.

I don't really think that's the time frame when Sentai usually announces their licenses. They sometimes don't announce titles until they've already finished airing in Japan, and sometimes they don't bother specifically announcing that they've licensed second seasons of shows that they did the first season. (As mentioned, I don't remember them ever making a specific announcement for the second season of GATE.)

On the whole, I associate Sentai less with announcing their licenses when things start airing in Japan than any licenser short of Discotek. (I'm not counting Section23/Sentai's "Maiden Japan" label separately, which also does a lot of stuff not released in Japan in the last year or two.) The current cour is, if anything, a big exception where Sentai seems to announced more shows in advance than in year, which has me scratching my head a bit at your complaint. I find it difficult to recall a time when Sentai was announcing more shows as licensed prior to initial airing in Japan than this season (partially because the immediate gratification / streaming / simuldub era isn't really that long.) As you say, perhaps it's too soon to say that it will become a habit, but between those shows and their still long backlog, they seem to have plenty to do as far as I'm concerned.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Flying Witch is getting an English version despite some of the controversy surrounding it ages earlier. Looking forward to it. Smile
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
I find it difficult to recall a time when Sentai was announcing more shows as licensed prior to initial airing in Japan than this season (partially because the immediate gratification / streaming / simuldub era isn't really that long.)

I don't think you have been paying close attention or you are misremembering things because going back to 2011 Sentai started announcing licenses days before the show started airing. True, most of their licenses were announced in the month that the show started airing. This is how obsessed I am with the shows Sentai has licensed and released; I have a list and can prove that Sentai has announced most of their licenses of new shows before or right after they start airing in Japan.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Interesting that Flying Witch is getting an English version despite some of the controversy surrounding it ages earlier. Looking forward to it. Smile

I was unfamiliar with that controversy. What is it?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@TarsTarkas

Volume 6 of The Ancient Magus Bride came out the last week in December.

Are you referring to the Japanese release, or the American one? Cause I pre-ordered Volume 5, and got that a short time ago. I have pre-ordered Vol 6 and Vol 7, and they ain't here yet.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
@TarsTarkas

I am referring to the Seven Seas US edition of The Ancient Magus Bride. Volume 5 on the final page shows a release date of July 2016 I received my copy from the comic shop on June 29, 2016. Volume 6 shows an internal release date of January 2017. I received my copy from my local comic shop on December 28, 2016. It came bundled with a 20 page "Special Booklet" .

I preorder and prepay most of my manga from Diamond Previews through my local comic shop. I get them the Wednesday received.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

I see what you mean, changed my search parameters on Amazon. Paperback releases earlier than the Kindle version. Didn't know that. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2