• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Himouto! Umaru-chan

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

Hmm... I'll have to look into Gabriel Dropout later.

As someone who prefers Gabriel over Umaru, I also recommend you check it out. Unlike Umaru, Gabriel is pile of lazy snark almost 90% of the anime to which the show will punish her for crappy behaviour for time to time. Gabriel is also supported by an interesting cast of characters unlike Umaru, which I can only remember two other characters from Umaru: her doormat older brother and her best friend who has big boobs and an accent.

Yeah I'm die hard Doga Kobo fan and I only got into about 3 episodes of this Umaru before I left. I could also really go for another two seasons of Nozaki because I know they have the material for that much after reading like seven volumes of the manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
megazero wrote:
Umaru is simply unrealistic and I don't want anyone to follow her footsteps, even if she is god-like at school.

I think it is fascinating all the hate Umare gets. Her behavior is not criminal, violent or tsundere (which are the usual culprits of said viewer reaction). It would be easy to say that we all have met in real life a bratty teenager and we can see said real life person in Umaru, but that would not be the real reason. The simple truth is that all of us have been said little ball of unfulfilled earthly desires, either we recognize ourselves in Umaru (consciously or unconsciously) or we have already forgotten what is to want a candy, have no money nor any means to get said money. Many angry readers are now thinking "Hey, Umaru is old enough to get a part time job", but please do not forget that in Japan teens must have their school permit to have such a job (one word from your teacher and you are fired on the spot) and/or said teen needs to get permit from their parents or tutor. Usually the plot device is to give the main character a part time job so the narrative flows as the writer wants, here the plot device is preventing Umaru from getting one (Taihe does not allow Umaru to get a job). Which brings us to Umaru's overprotective brother (aka her acting tutor). How do I know he is overprotective? he gave her his bed (I would have made her a hammock), he cooks her bento/meals (I would give her lunch money) and enrolled Umaru in a girls only high school. Don't forget also that in japan you are considered a kid until you officially enter the work force, so her big brother either is letting her make good memories of her youth (since she has perfect grades there is no reason to think she will not get into a good college or could go direct to work like in "New Game" once she ends high school) and/or she is giving her a pass due to still undisclosed circumstances of her past. Umaru is going as far as her brother allows her (it has never been mentioned that the brother is in financial dire straits or has stopped giving himself some kind of reward to pay for Umaru's debauchery), she is no Haruhi Suzumiya style of character that drags others into wild whims.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

@harminia: You may be thinking of "Eric Cartman-esque gnome". Yeah, I quite enjoyed the bizarre yet accurate descriptions of the eponymous character as well.

That's the one! How could I forget that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I think that how much you enjoy it can come down to how much you could relate to Umaru's worst traits. Not admitting entirely that you are a shitty person, but every so often you might throw out your good side and act some pretty bad ways, and it is not like Umaru is really out to harm anyone. She cares about her brother more than all of those vices, and he cares about her enough to want her to be happy and enjoy herself, although sometimes a little soft on her, he does criticise her on things, and as family accepts her as whoever she is. For a culture that puts such high pressure on its youth, letting them enjoying themselves and the humour that comes from that can be funny. One segment I think back as funny was when she accidentally spoiler[broke the modem], and I could relate to it more than I would like to admit.
icelava

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Yeap this is a series where age and maturity level of the viewer can have a huge sway on perception. I am not a parent myself but an uncle to schooling children. I see Umaru as an ultimate spoilt brat, and major reason children end up with such poor discipline and attitude - lousy parenting and imparting of life values.

Sure she may be a genius who gets good grades, but there is absolutely no way I'd let my daughter or niece at age 15-16 to get away with such self-centred, selfish behaviours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2