• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Hentai Characters Labeled As Being Over 18 (Even When They're Not)?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Forget the age, all the counties got to do is ban all forms of the content. Problem solved.

spoiler[I personally like the filtration of unwanted internet content idea, but countries like china would take it too far.]
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that the age or appearance isn't the problem. It's the content. More specifically, the sexual content.

Sexual content forces people to create double-standards. I have seen plenty of non-hentai anime where there are young looking characters that have impossible to assume ages.

For example: Rory Mercury from GATE - http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/gate-thus-the-jsdf-fought-there/images/9/9c/Rory_Mercury_full_body.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150718082930

She looks like a middle-schooler, right? But she's actually 961 years old. And yet I don't see people complaining about that.

Exalted Incarnate wrote:
spoiler[I personally like the filtration of unwanted internet content idea, but countries like china would take it too far.]

Unwanted? Unwanted by whom? You? That's a bit arrogant, don't you think?

If no (real) person is victimized... why is there a problem? I don't understand. Laws are supposed to be designed to protect people. Not punish them. If there is no victim, then there is no crime. And don't give me some BS reason like "it persuades people to become criminals." Because a criminal is only a criminal after the fact of the crime. Never before it.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Young looking girl in a hentai wearing what is clearly a high school uniform says somewhere that she's 19 years old and going to college.

I noticed that when I watched Bible Black and Wicked Lessons. I kept saying to myself "I didn't know there were colleges in Japan that continued the high school uniform look upon entering.". Than when I watched a regular college anime, I saw that they were wearing ordinary clothes. After reading this article, I now know that the translations lied. Confused
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:
Forget the age, all the counties got to do is ban all forms of the content. Problem solved.

Or just ban all content. If you let people make decisions, they might make the wrong ones.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Exalted Incarnate wrote:

All people like you have to do is stop fussing about what other people watch in the privacy of their own homes. Problem solved.

I don't know that you would like it if content that you liked was deemed unwanted and thus filtered from the internet. If you want content you like protected from government overseers deciding what speech and content is allowed to be posted on the internet (aside from things involved with criminal activity), you have to let content you dislike be allowed as well. Otherwise, people who don't share your values and may be diametrically opposed to some of your beliefs will take the precedent you establish and turn it on you. If you are a very religious person, there are specific examples that come to mind that don't seem too far-fetched.

Though ultimately it may not matter either way (in terms of blocking content not precedent on free speech), as mentioned in the article, it doesn't even work. People are plenty able to get the content they want even if it is banned in their country and their government can do jack all to stop them, aside from China, but even then there are ways around that.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
This remind me of a quote from Gravity Falls.

"Oh, hi there! My name is Giffany. I'm a schoolgirl at School University."

Granted, it was a dating sim and not a hentai, but it's still a very similar idea that a girl in a sailor uniform is saying that you know the game was changed... yeah... You know what kind of scenes are in that game.

And remember Gravity Falls was a kids show... one with an adult fanbase... but still...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Let's all just ignore the bait post and move on please. Commenting on it and starting arguments won't help anything. One post was removed for being blatantly over the top in response. Let's not have anymore please.

As for you Exalted Incarnate, you've been warned before about your anti-yuri/yoai and anti-fanservice soap boxing posts. Either post something of value on the actual topic or just move on.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
How does that work even?

My bad, looks like I was misremembering the wording. The actual definition in the criminal code is "a person who is or is depicted as being under the age of eighteen years." So rather than appearance, it's talking about if an 18 year old actress made a film where the character she played was 16 then it'd be illegal.

So I guess it might be a bit iffy regarding the "all characters are 18" thing. They're not being 'depicted' as being underage though in reality they are originally supposed to be underage. I guess it depends if the judge buys that excuse or not.

FYI written material is also illegal. I know some one who's on the sex offender list now because he wrote such a story and was dumb enough to post it online. So if you're Canadian be wary of erotic fanfiction.

At any rate, this is why I don't order adult material unless I can get it from a Canadian source. There are a bunch of Fakku books I'd like to buy but some of those titles feature young looking girls so I wouldn't risk it. I have bought some of Project H's releases but only because I can get them through Chapters/Coles/Indigo. Tayu Tayu/Boing Boing was changed so the characters attend a rural college rather than a single mixed grade high school class. They also made the twin characters not related.
DanQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Do you remember eroge Season of the Sakura? Take place at "Preparatory School " – a special institution for students who'd finished school. And everybody was 18+ Anime smile.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
While not hentai, all of a sudden, the thread has me remembering the "Not safe for TV" bonus last episode of Excel Saga, where after the running joke of the cute 8-yo. Sara, whom Gojo shows a comically, um, unhealthy interest in, she suddenly spoiler[reveals herself to have been an undersized, stacked eighteen-year-old all along. And Gojo, of course, traumatically loses interest.]

I don't think that last-second comic safety-net was necessarily just because Shinichi Watanabe wanted to throw in one more crazy gag for Gojo to get his comeuppance.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
DanQ wrote:
Do you remember eroge Season of the Sakura? Take place at "Preparatory School " – a special institution for students who'd finished school. And everybody was 18+ Anime smile.

Didn't expected this one being mentioned in here lol

I remember playing it in The Asenheim Project a long time ago.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Canadian law specifies that merely appearing to be underage is enough to get you in trouble. So even if it says they're 19 that won't work if they look like a 12 year old.

while I'm not sure if it's the same as that, I know in Australia and New Zealand (especially NZ), that characters who look young but may be older still get in trouble. If a character is 19 but has a flat chest and is short, lord help the series if she gets in a sexual situation because that's gonna be seen as something bad and can be refused classification (thus being made illegal). But may be that if it's explicitly specified that a character is 18+ within a show, then maybe they'll let it slide. Not sure.
(and this is just for ecchi stuff, much less hentai. Not sure how full on stuff goes these days, though you used to find assorted hentai in some video rental shops. Not sure if any had teenagers in it though, as I only recall a cover of one being about nurses (of course).)
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Canadian law specifies that merely appearing to be underage is enough to get you in trouble. So even if it says they're 19 that won't work if they look like a 12 year old.

How does that work even? I've seen girls in college that could fit in with junior high girls. Yeah, usually you can immediately tell, but there are some cases where you really can't (I knew one girl that even got clothes at gap kids that lived in the dorms).
That also just sounds incredibly regressive since you're essentially saying any flat, not tall 18+ girls can't possibly be found attractive by normal people because they look like they are 12. I would expect something like that from conservative areas in the US, but I thought Canada and other more liberal places would be past shaming women for their body type.

The entire point is to protect underage individuals. You are either underage or you aren't. They don't refuse to sell you alcohol because you look underage. They just check your id to see that you aren't underage then sell it to you; the age you look like you are is irrelevant. Or on the reverse side, a girl looking like she is 18+ isn't going to help you if it turns out she was actually underage.

This is literally everything I've ever thought and wanted to say about that irrational standard. I totally understand the intent, and am all for protecting real people, but yeah... what someone looks like and how old they actually are is incredibly inconsistent. and censorship laws that are that vague are inherently troublesome to me.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Ryo Hazuki wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:

It's easy to tell a 12 year old from a 18 year old but not so much a 17 year old from a 18 year old.

Not if they're Asian. Many Asian adults "look" much younger than they really are.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Back in the VHS and DVD era, hentai used to regularly get seized at the border crossing into Canada. However, since Canada doesn't restrict internet access in any way, as long as the hentai site in question isn't based in Canada, there's really not much the Canadian government can do about it.

I did not know about that since I live in Canada. I don't even know where to go if I wanted to buy hentai.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3