• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Makoto Shinkai Denies Alleged Affair With Editor

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I really hate "journalists" like this. Stating garbage like that without any real evidence. That can ruin a person's life... Best wishes to Makoto Shinkai.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Whatever the case may be, it wouldn't change my opinion of his works, past or future. I can't say I'm too keen on gossip about the private lives of creators anyways.
Zubby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering why anyone besides those immediately involved would even care.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Zubby wrote:
I'm wondering why anyone besides those immediately involved would even care.

Because Makoto Shinkai has moved from being famous within anime circles to famous over all Japan. Still shitty move publishing this sort of rubbish though.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Least you know made when they start talking gossip about you!
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
Braindead gossipers.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
Nothing like a breech of ethics in order to bring out naysayer supporters. So I'm the only one thinking the "multiple concerned parties" were people with a vested financial stake in either of these two?

No, I'm in the wrong, it's perfectly normal to have lunch with you editor... someone else's editor... in a medium you don't even work in but would just love some connection to your name...

Quote:
In a later post, he expressed surprise that anyone would be interested in his private life, and that his actions invited misunderstanding.

Ok so it wasn't just a single event and he has no idea what editors do for a living?

Quote:
According to Nikkan Sports, the editor is in her early 30s. The newspaper asserted that Shinkai met the editor through a mutual friend in spring of 2016, and that their relationship deepened sometime in fall 2016, after the release of Shinkai's hit film your name.

I think it would have been harmless "This is my life and it only matters to my wife!" situation Shinkai wants it to be if it happened before the movie became a hit of that size but after? Does this guy have no common sense?

Quote:
Nikkan Sports awarded Shinkai the Best Director award in its Nikkan Sports Movie Award in December.

To borrow a phrase... Oy.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Man, the poor guy. He's like the chillest, humblest, most introverted creator out there. No one should give a f*ck about his private life. I hope he doesn't get too bothered by this kind of garbage reporting.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting till we have more evidence before assuming the story is even true. Adultery is horrible but it happens all the time with American celebrities, so I'm not sure why anime fans should be shocked it happens with Japanese celebrities too.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yeah, media stopped being media a while ago. It's more about attention than news, and they will do anything for click-bait / attention. Even if it ruins someones career.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
Wow the editor and Makoto Shinkai are friends... good for them. Who cares.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
"Sources say the affair was characterized by melancholy longing over great distances."
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
"Sources say the affair was characterized by melancholy longing over great distances."

"And feet."
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Nothing like a breech of ethics in order to bring out naysayer supporters. So I'm the only one thinking the "multiple concerned parties" were people with a vested financial stake in either of these two?

No, I'm in the wrong, it's perfectly normal to have lunch with you editor... someone else's editor... in a medium you don't even work in but would just love some connection to your name...

Quote:
In a later post, he expressed surprise that anyone would be interested in his private life, and that his actions invited misunderstanding.

Ok so it wasn't just a single event and he has no idea what editors do for a living?

Quote:
According to Nikkan Sports, the editor is in her early 30s. The newspaper asserted that Shinkai met the editor through a mutual friend in spring of 2016, and that their relationship deepened sometime in fall 2016, after the release of Shinkai's hit film your name.

I think it would have been harmless "This is my life and it only matters to my wife!" situation Shinkai wants it to be if it happened before the movie became a hit of that size but after? Does this guy have no common sense?

Quote:
Nikkan Sports awarded Shinkai the Best Director award in its Nikkan Sports Movie Award in December.

To borrow a phrase... Oy.

Quite seriously, why do you care if he's having an affair or not? We have 100% no idea if he even is, and even if he was...it's his personal life.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
So the journalist just wrote all that rubbish without providing any substantial proof? As my president Trump would say, that's nothing more than fake news. Anyone who gets into such gossip should go get a life Laughing

Last edited by Kon'Doriano on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2