• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: .hack//G.U. Gets PS4/PC HD Remaster With New Elements in 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlieJS3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I loved .Hack so much, really glad this is happening, wanted it for so long. It would have been great if the first 4 were released first, but I'm betting they are going to completely remake them, because of Sony's no port policy and that it probably hasn't aged well. Fingers crossed.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This is the best news of 2017!
.hack is such an amazing series, I'm glad it's finally back. This is fantastic, and they're even upgrading the games beyond the visuals!

"Little Children of Morganna. Pray now, as hard as you can. Only a strong prayer can change the world"
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I really liked these games back in the day. However, I don't see how it is possible to just polish them into something that isn't just something for nostalgia and will actually compare to more modern action rpgs. I'm glad they're going beyond just visuals which shows that they understand the issue, but the actual gameplay was only even 'ok' back then with the story doing the real heavy lifting. I did love the games, so if they can convince me that it has been successfully modernized, I'll buy it day 1.
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Too bad it wasn't the preceding tetralogy. Part 4, Quarantine, is still like $130+ on Amazon used. Of course, this will also lower the price of the GU series eventually. It's still a big step nevertheless and should have been done a while ago. But late is better than never. Just please, announce the tetralogy too.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I did enjoy G.U but I do kind of wish the original Quadrilogy would have also been remastered/remade. But I'm happy either way, maybe now I have a reason to finally get a PS4. Although "Haseo with an unfamiliar look" has me concerned they're moving away from the anime aesthetic of the games which is part of the reason I enjoy the .hack games (plus the anime series). Given they just were released from working on the FF7 remake, I imagine they're going to apply some of their experiences working on that.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm cautiously excited about this. The last two .hack games didn't get released over here (.hack//LINK and .hack//Versus) so I'm reining in my excitement until we hear about an English release. Still, this does some really promising and I do look forward to hearing more later.

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Although "Haseo with an unfamiliar look" has me concerned they're moving away from the anime aesthetic of the games which is part of the reason I enjoy the .hack games (plus the anime series).

I'm sure they're just referring to a new costume and not an overhaul of his overall character design. This is a remaster and not a remake after all.

I sure do hope they do something with the original series at some point rather than reference it by rehashing the character designs over and over as they have been. The game really deserves a proper update.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm sure they're just referring to a new costume and not an overhaul of his overall character design.

That is what I think they meant as well. Redesigning the main character a this point would be stupid. They're playing on nostalgia.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I'm cautiously excited about this. The last two .hack games didn't get released over here (.hack//LINK and .hack//Versus) so I'm reining in my excitement until we hear about an English release. Still, this does some really promising and I do look forward to hearing more later

It's on PS4 and PC. The PC part pretty much confirms it'll come here too. But now we wait.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Although "Haseo with an unfamiliar look" has me concerned they're moving away from the anime aesthetic of the games which is part of the reason I enjoy the .hack games (plus the anime series).

It's probably referring to B-st Form from the Trilogy movie. It wouldn't surprise me if the majority of added content is for Redemption as that was notoriously low on content.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
This is exactly what I wanted! Very Happy

For the original series... Confused

Remastering //G.U. is fine, but why start with the sequel series? Come on Bamco, use your noodle.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
HOLY COW I hope this gets released in the U.S!
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Remastering //G.U. is fine, but why start with the sequel series? Come on Bamco, use your noodle.

Ironic that you tell Bamco to use their noodle when the article clearly states:

Quote:
In addition to the series' 15th anniversary, this year marks 10 years since the end of .hack//G.U. and is also the year that the game's story is set in.

Reading comprehension and simple math are hard folks.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Emerje wrote:
I'm cautiously excited about this. The last two .hack games didn't get released over here (.hack//LINK and .hack//Versus) so I'm reining in my excitement until we hear about an English release. Still, this does some really promising and I do look forward to hearing more later

It's on PS4 and PC. The PC part pretty much confirms it'll come here too. But now we wait.

It would hardly be the first time Steam got a major Japanese game that isn't translated. Plus PC doesn't really confirm anything, there are a number of Japanese games that don't see release on Steam.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kariocean2004

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope people don't say this is ripping off S.O.A
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
It would hardly be the first time Steam got a major Japanese game that isn't translated. Plus PC doesn't really confirm anything, there are a number of Japanese games that don't see release on Steam.

PS4 and PC, both region free. A remaster and not a new game, all dialogue is already translated and dubbed. This being Namco who are good with their niche remasters like God Eater and such. All signs point to this being a happy ending.

doubleO7 wrote:

They state that they started with a remaster to get new fans into the franchise. If anything, this is smart marketing.
Why start with GU? Probably because those games are newer and are easier to get into for new players. Plus they look stunning, this is an easy remaster (unlike IMOQ which aged horribly and would require way more resources to remake)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2