• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Quick Answers Part 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
There was that really weird period from like 2005-2008 where shows were produced in wide screen but not HD.

DVDs use a technique called "anamorphic widescreen" to create a widescreen image. A show like Noein (2006) was designed to be watched in the 848x480 resolution of anamorphic DVDs. Full HDTV transmissions were just coming online at that time, so few people had receivers that could view a 720p or 1080p image even if one were available.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This used to be true -- prior to 2008 or so, most anime was still made in standard definition, or pretty close to it.
Of course, it also bears mentioning that pre-2000 cel/film anime can get new HD transfers, although that doesn't actually happen with a lot of releases. Perhaps Japanese companies have found it more profitable to do digital upscales of old analog masters instead of rescanning the film stock at higher resolutions, if consumers don't notice or care about the differences. Or maybe the well of shows with intact/usable film has just about run dry.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
There was that really weird period from like 2005-2008 where shows were produced in wide screen but not HD.
It extended longer than that, as the first 16:9 TV anime, afaik, was Betterman in 1999. I believe it, like Vandread, Zaion, and SaiKano, was technically 360p/400p, since the DVDs were done as 4:3 videos with letterboxing bars. But there were many other 16:9 anime in the early 2000s, like the .hack series, Tsukihime, Last Exile, Noir, Madlax, Elfen Lied, Abenobashi, Rave Master, SoulTaker, and many more. Some, like Mahoromatic S1 and Figure 17, were actually done on cels, though sadly neither ever got remastered Blu-Rays (Figure 17 never got BDs, and Mahoromatic S1 was upscaled alongside the digipaint S2). GitS:SAC and Samurai 7 actually were produced digitally in HD, as was the 4:3 12 Kingdoms. Beyond all that, there were some "straggler" SD (or at least DVD-only) shows in the late 00s, like Chrome-Shelled Regios in 2009 and Zakuro in 2010.

Main point being, it's tough to sort out all the overlaps and differences between the eras of cels and digipaint, SD and HD, and 4:3 and 16:9. Which makes it unfortunate when viewers say, "Oh, that show's ancient, it must be low-res and 4:3."

Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
The "it wasn't produced at 1080p, don't bother getting it in HD" argument never really made a lot of sense to me. If it was produced at an SD resolution that's one thing, but the impression I get is that when shows aren't produced at full 1080p, they're something like 800p or 900p, so it's still going to be pretty good.

Even in *cough*fansubdownloading*cough* circles, people say "the 1080p is an upscale, get the 720p instead." Sure the 1080p won't be quite the same quality as if it were actually produced at 1080p, but it's still going to look better than the 720p.
I usually see that argument in the download scene for shows made in about 540p and below, especially with early/mid-00s SD digipaint titles. It's an issue of diminishing marginal returns; if a 1080p rip looks essentially the same as 720p, is it really worth spending the extra time/bandwidth/HDD space acquiring it instead of a 720p version? Obviously downloaders can grab 1080p if they feel it's worth it, but some groups might not want to spend their encoding time and distribution resources creating a 1080p release that doesn't offer much improvement.

It's not so much of a problem with legit releases, since you can't exactly buy "HD Lite" Blu-Rays to save money on lesser-resolution shows. When buying, I'd concur with your view and Justin's advice to get Blu-Rays where available, unless they're known to be a poor upscale. Though I'd be automatically wary of any upscale of cel/film shows -- it seems like there's too much that can go wrong when combining analog/digital conversion and digital upscaling processes.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
It's an issue of diminishing marginal returns; if a 1080p rip looks essentially the same as 720p, is it really worth spending the extra time/bandwidth/HDD space acquiring it instead of a 720p version?

The way I see it, time spent downloading is irrelevant, but time and effort spent determining how much better the 1080p version looks than the 720p version, or researching what resolution it was produced in, is better spent on just about anything else. Even here in Australia where the bandwidth is terrible, the extra bandwidth spent isn't much to speak of, and hard drive space isn't a very big concern. And then there's all the times I've regretted getting less than the highest quality in the past. All those things being the case, I might as well grab the highest res available.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Going with the question on a fan that has the most anime DVD, the highest count I have seen is 41207. This was from the 12/8/2008 edition of Shelf Life called "Squash Knives". It's at the bottom of the page.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Going with the question on a fan that has the most anime DVD, the highest count I have seen is 41207. This was from the 12/8/2008 edition of Shelf Life called "Squash Knives". It's at the bottom of the page.

Although have to remember, the fan mentality for "Most Devoted Collection" dates back to the late 90's, when the misunderstood Anime-Fan community overlapped with the misunderstood DVD Early-Adopter community:
One hand helped wash the other into the mainstream, to be one was a 70-80% probability of being the other, and neither one could get their titles anywhere except buying them over the counter at Suncoast or online at DVDExpress.
Blockbuster didn't have early anime DVD's for rental, and you were lucky to find a mom-and-pop that did, so the only way to show your loyalty for how many anime titles you'd seen was to show how much of a collector you were, how many you'd "archived" in your spare room (in case of future emergency), and how much of your disposable or non-disposable income you were willing to devote to your hobby.
This was around the same time that early Playstation 2-watching DVD fans were buying up literally every disk title that was released that week, and either showing off their mega-storage, or selling the disks back to computer stores.

What happened to that idea? Well, Crunchyroll, the rise of streaming, the 00's Bubble, the rise of the boxset and the death of single-volume disks ASIDE... Wink
Nowadays, it's a little easier to get your viewing if you just want to watch an anime series sight-unseen without commitment, and collecting is now left to the collecting of only the long-term keepers.
Most fans' collections today are just the essentials, anyone else bragging about it is just a Hoarder off of A&E episodes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
That way lies madness. At least with the basic show runtime you can get it from the box in most cases. Extra features would require you to get out the disks and check the times. Then you get into the question of what to count. ADV used to claim its trailers were special features, I'm not sure that clean opening and ending would count as it is material you already have. An interview with creative staff would count but probably not commentary tracks which are just an additional voice track to an existing episode and frequently have no real relationship to the show. I can see endless arguments as to what to count.

Trying to claim you have the larger (or largest) collection is silly anyway. It would usually lead you to buying and keeping shows you didn't really like or want to watch just to enlarge your collection. Even if a show is an acknowledged masterpiece, if it is not a show you like it is just wasted space in a collection.

Heh, that's why I asked: Because it would be a horrific ordeal to count the minutes and decide what should count and what shouldn't. The footage on there is still footage. From what I hear, some collectors of things with huge variations in size, length, or whatever will quantify them based on the combined price of every item in the collection, which is easily determined, easily verifiable, and easily recorded. (This is why some comic book collectors prefer to buy individual releases rather than compilations.)

It is definitely a fool's errand to do it, for reason you described AND the fact that some collectors are competitive and will expand their collection just to one-up you. It can become an arms race very quickly. And there's no beating someone who has more disposable income.

Whatever collections I have (my anime on home video is not one I consider a serious collection and I rarely ever even think of it as one), I have because I found them interesting and just happened to find a lot of interesting things over time. The primary thing I currently collect are plush toys of specific characters, and I am always looking for a good quality plush of a character whom I rarely see. That's about it though--I do not think any of my plushes are that high in resale value (possibly except for a few). But I really like having them around.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

I'm pretty much a hardened collector myself. I have a largish collection of anime, manga and associated figures but I bought them to suit me not for any bragging rights. Currently I don't even have an up to date list of the anime I own. I'm not interested in wasting the time it would take to make one.

I have in the past collected individual issues of comic books, both early manga and US comics. It is kind of a useless past time, they get put in bags and boxes to "preserve" them and are never seen again.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

I'm pretty much a hardened collector myself. I have a largish collection of anime, manga and associated figures but I bought them to suit me not for any bragging rights. Currently I don't even have an up to date list of the anime I own. I'm not interested in wasting the time it would take to make one.

I have in the past collected individual issues of comic books, both early manga and US comics. It is kind of a useless past time, they get put in bags and boxes to "preserve" them and are never seen again.

Any collection should be for the pleasure of it, the fun of finding what you want and being able to see it whenever you want.

I keep my comics in upright magazine boxes; Keeps floppy things from flopping around and it's no different than a bookshelf for accessibility.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
CandisWhite wrote:
Any collection should be for the pleasure of it, the fun of finding what you want and being able to see it whenever you want.

Absolutely. There are a few things in my collection that make me question past me's taste, but everything I have bought for my collection is because it was a show I liked.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely. There are a few things in my collection that make me question past me's taste, but everything I have bought for my collection is because it was a show I liked.

Looking at my collection I sometimes question my sanity, much less my taste. But It all "Seemed like a good idea at the time".
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
For Guiness world records you may have to pay for a Guiness official to attend and check the record, including travel expenses. So if you want to claim the largest collection you'd have to pay for someone to come and count your collection. That's why you might see an official at an event like an eating contest or a TV show.

There are also some things that Guiness will not keep records of. As such there are many records Guiness never keeps. I"m sure that at least at one time I had podcasted the most original poems but Guiness doesn't handle poetry.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/FAQ/what-makes-a-world-record

So a largest collection isn't out of bounds of possibility, but someone would have to apply and cover the costs of having their collection verified. Besides, it would likely be someone in Japan and having the largest anime collection might not be something they would want to be known for.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
For Guiness world records you may have to pay for a Guiness official to attend and check the record, including travel expenses. So if you want to claim the largest collection you'd have to pay for someone to come and count your collection. That's why you might see an official at an event like an eating contest or a TV show.

There are also some things that Guiness will not keep records of. As such there are many records Guiness never keeps. I"m sure that at least at one time I had podcasted the most original poems but Guiness doesn't handle poetry.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/FAQ/what-makes-a-world-record

So a largest collection isn't out of bounds of possibility, but someone would have to apply and cover the costs of having their collection verified. Besides, it would likely be someone in Japan and having the largest anime collection might not be something they would want to be known for.

You not only may have to pay the Guinness official, you will have to pay the Guinness official. On the other hand, if you DO pull off the record, it's set in stone as they are a trusted authority on these matters. (There are Guinness officials in Japan, however, so it wouldn't be that big of a hassle, but you'd have to make it presentable and easily quantifiable to the official. I mean, you CAN give the official a hard time, but you shouldn't.)

Guinness has been having an increasing number of anime-related world records though. It began with some here and there, but it became a regular thing once One Piece got the record for best-selling comic book series by a single author. I believe there was that woman in Argentina some time back who got the Guinness record for largest Cardcaptors Sakura collection. If so, it means the company is definitely not averse to cataloguing this sort of thing.

The thing is, I think it's more that the otaku collectors don't want to have a Guinness record. Not because of any grudge against the company, but because they may be too ashamed of their lifestyles or other habits to bring a big company official over, and they may be afraid that the mention they'll get in the books will bring unwanted envy and jealousy from rival collectors who will expand their collections and bring an official over. (Look at record times for climbing Mt. Everest, for instance. That is logged into the Guinness Book of World Records, and doing so spurs other aspiring mountain climbers to reach the top even faster. That being said, reading the tone of the books, the Guinness people do get amused when two or more people get competitive and repeatedly bring someone over to verify their ever-improving records.)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
I think ANN should just do it.

ANN should just take the lead and announce they are planning on crowning the world record anime collection and then they can do a series of articles as they send someone out to verify everyone's collections.

Road trip, Justin?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Quote:
Road trip, Justin?

Based on comments he has made in the past, he might not have to leave his own apartment.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
People compare disc counts? Really?

I started collecting anime on VHS (those mail-order Dragonball tapes...) then moved on to DVD... and now am split between blu-ray and digital. More important than how much you own is, I think, what you own. Like, if I see someone with twenty blu-ray cases of One Piece or Naruto or whatever, that's a collection that's going to get less respect than the person who only has one slim blue case of Twelve Kingdoms.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2