• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Knight's & Magic

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
Unless I missed something, I don't think they captured the Zaloudek capital. I'm pretty sure that was them recapturing the Kuschpercha capital. They did go to the Zaloudek capital, but I'm pretty sure that was just the king hearing the news that the campaign had failed and in addition to his son dying, his sister had died as well. Considering that the fortress they captured in the episode was the last before the Kuschpercha capital, they didn't really skip much of anything, unless I missed something.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah, they retook the Kuschpercha capital. There wasn't much of a battle there to show since as it's mentioned all of the enemy forces had been sent off to that other fort so the capital was undefended.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
The anime covered the 1st 5 LN volumes of Knights.
Vols 6-8 is a brand new story arc. Vol 8 releases this 30 September and ends said arc.
The WN is is just starting Vol 9.

Things you can expect to see next arc include:

spoiler[ -Ernie works on making proper mainstream Flying SKs using Gojass's tech. Addy gets her own flying SK.

-Emrys and Chid go off to Kucheperca. Emrys is taking up the post of Fremevillan ambassador to Kucheperca, and he's asked Chid to follow him (Eleonora x Chid ship rises again!)

-The Ikaruga is downed by acid-spewing demon bugs while on aerial recon to map out and explore the Bocuse Sea of Trees east of Fremevilla. Addy and Ernie are stranded in the heart of the forest.

-Tribes of multiple-eyed humanoid Giants, the size of an SK, live in the forest. Ernie & Addy are able to gain their trust and live with them, whilst researching the creation of spare parts to repair the Ikaruga and go home.

-A human settlement made up of the descendants of an ancient failed Fremevillan expedition to colonise the Bocuse. Their ancestors offered themselves as vassals to a giant tribe for protection, in exchange for strengthening their power base. The settlement leader, Oberon, has no love for their giant overlords and has long fanned dreams of returning the settlers and their unique technology home to the West, by any means necessary...]
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Pretty much ended as well as it could have. Honestly, even if it wasn't an adaptation, ending there would be pretty natural. Extending the anime to 26 episodes probably would have made it better, but I think it's pretty great as is. It's a worthy companion piece to the source material even if it doesn't quite work as an outright replacement.

One minor thing I noticed is that even the voice acting seemed a little more passionate than usual in this episode. Maybe that's just me though. I also liked how the final opening showcased many of the mechs, though they probably should have changed it to its current form when the war arc started. Ah well.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
you can definitely feel that Knight's & Magic could have done with a few extra episodes.

In this case I blame the rigid adherence of the Japanese networks towards the 1 to 2 cour episode system, which means everything has to get wrapped up in either 10-13 eps or 20-26eps. You don't really get animes with an odd episode count like 17-18 eps.

Even a famed VN series like Dies Irae could only get 12 TV broadcasted episodes ( not counting the 6 online eps, which may only be used to cover sidestory stuff.)
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, it was decent. The main character was fairly likable. I liked his enthusiasm but the side characters felt a bit underdeveloped.

The pacing was simply too fast in my opinion. I couldn't get much out of any plot developments since there was hardly time for any buildup. The show just kept jumping from one important plot point to another.

Last edited by Cam0 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:20 pm Reply with quote
well at least it wasn't blatant with its ending though. however , its still more or less that you'll need to read the source materials to continue with the storylines. hence the phrase "read the books kids!" analogy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
They weren't going to cover all the material in the time allotted and it is still ongoing anyhow, so expecting it to be totally complete is unrealistic. It ended on a nice enough ending point and that's all one can realistically expect.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
The pacing was simply too fast in my opinion. I couldn't get much out of any plot developments since there was hardly time for any buildup. The show just kept jumping from one important plot point to another.

This is pretty common for LN adaptations, but I think it's not so bad in Knights & Magic because it has narration to smooth things over. Other shows will jump scene to scene with no transitions at all.

I definitely think it deserves more credit for being different from other isekai shows. While Eru is very talented it's mostly limited to one specific area (his programming/magic skills) plus his non-standard common sense due to his otherworldly nature. The show always made it clear that he's mostly an idea man and relies on others to really make things happen. His ideas wouldn't come to life without the dwarves, and they wouldn't be used properly without the other skilled runners. Even with the Ikaruga he needs help, like in this episode where Kid deals the final blow because Eru is too busy re-enacting Amuro pushing Axis away. Not once does it make you think "Why are these other guys even there if Eru can do everything?"

Also were this any other isekai story Eru's knight squad would be women only and they'd all have the hots for him. Instead the other guys get their own waifus and Eru really only has Addy (but she mostly treats him like a small animal).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm also shocked that Gojass avoided his own death flag and is now just flying around

Then you weren't paying attention. Smile He disappeared from the bridge well before the captain decided on his kamikaze run at the Queen. Considering that he knew the possibility of the ship's core going out of control, of course he had an escape pod prepared.

I'm not sure what other battles you wanted them to show after this one. Once that airship was defeated, they really didn't have much in the way of resistance, and showing any more half-assed battles would have been really anticlimactic.

This wasn't my favorite show of the season, but it was fun and had its moments with a very charming protagonist whose enthusiasm was infectious. They tied up all their loose ends for the most part, except for the ones left deliberately dangling with hooks to reel you into the LNs, so I've got no real complaints.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This is pretty common for LN adaptations, but I think it's not so bad in Knights & Magic because it has narration to smooth things over. Other shows will jump scene to scene with no transitions at all.

Nah, the narration didn't do much for me. Knight's and Magic still felt like any other LN adaption with horrible pacing to me.

Vaisaga wrote:
Also were this any other isekai story Eru's knight squad would be women only and they'd all have the hots for him. Instead the other guys get their own waifus and Eru really only has Addy (but she mostly treats him like a small animal).

This is something I can always appreciate. Unfortunately those side romances barely got any love at all. The thing between Kid and the princess got the most and that was like a couple of scenes. Actually was there anything else outside of Kid x Princess? The shield dude and the female knight runner? Don't remember any particular scenes. In this last episode that blue haired spy girl gave that cowardly knight runner a kind of look that may have meant something but that's the extent of that.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
This is something I can always appreciate. Unfortunately those side romances barely got any love at all. The thing between Kid and the princess got the most and that was like a couple of scenes. Actually was there anything else outside of Kid x Princess? The shield dude and the female knight runner? Don't remember any particular scenes. In this last episode that blue haired spy girl gave that cowardly knight runner a kind of look that may have meant something but that's the extent of that.

D teased Edgar and Helvi one episode. Also that bit with him promising her to get her silhouette knight back and this one where she calls him dense.

And yeah, I think they set up that the black ops chick wants the D Laughing
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cam0 wrote:

D teased Edgar and Helvi one episode. Also that bit with him promising her to get her silhouette knight back and this one where she calls him dense.

And yeah, I think they set up that the black ops chick wants the D Laughing

Dietrich/Nora was a random ship, but I liked it. Dietrich has fought hard enough to deserve a waifu.
cfalcon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I liked the series, although it definitely rushed events. Anyone know why the mecha-loving Eru didn't just save Kid and his mech together? He was just pushing up the much larger Vyver mech so the Ikaruga isn't lacking in power.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
cfalcon wrote:
I liked the series, although it definitely rushed events. Anyone know why the mecha-loving Eru didn't just save Kid and his mech together? He was just pushing up the much larger Vyver mech so the Ikaruga isn't lacking in power.

Carrying Tzendrimble was probably just more trouble than it was worth. It's one thing to push against something; it's another to carry something. Also, from a narrative point of view, it was to show that Eru cared about his friends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7