• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:50 am Reply with quote
No surprise that what Chise was getting were rings and a wedding dress. At the very least I would say they are engaged now, a nice place to end here. And the show tried to make it clear that Chise was not just taking on this decision to get married to him out of some obligation, just being something he decided for her, she instead said that many other things also contributed to put her in the place she is. He happened to play a large part of getting her to where she is, and no doubt she sees him actually identifying her as beautiful, as being high praise.

Cartaphilus / Joseph, managed to have a place to he can rest, from some real empathy. He does not have to be in so much pain that he is driven insane to lash out. A really good doctor must have worked on Chise. Silky running into hug Chise was so sweet.

I enjoyed the series, certainly a highlight for its run. I said before that I am a really big fan of the type of lore and myth that was in this series. And it handled this faerie lore like no anime I think has before. Certainly some growth for characters too. I rate this series as Excellent (9/10), one of the shows that should be checked out by anime viewers. It is also thoughtfully well made in general.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:37 am Reply with quote
A very satisfying finale for me with the one exception that I feel the huge issue between Elias and Chise was somewhat glossed over, but I didn't really mind. As fraught at their relationship is, I still wanted them together at the end and I was charmed by their "wedding ceremony."

I loved the hell out of this show and am rating it Excellent. It was visually gorgeous, had characters I liked, hated and found intriguing, I loved all the magic/lore/myth stuff and the humour always worked for me, too. Needless to say, I would heartily welcome any mores seasons that may get made and I'll probably start collecting the manga.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
S2 #1

I know there have been OVA episodes released in the interim, but at least five years have passed since the series last aired. The world has changed a lot since then, and with the industry even more crowded than ever this series can't be complacent and rely on its loyal fans if it's wants to stay relevant in this quarter.

Chise has been invited to attend College, which Elias is dead against as his type of magic is very different from what they teach at the College. Still, he respects Chise's wish to acquire knowledge to better herself and solve problems without risking her life and limb, so off she goes to attend school for the first time since Elias acquired her. There's a reminder that her previous school life in Japan was miserable because of her special attributes as a Sleigh Baggy, but now she's in the company of other magic-wielders theoretically school life should be more enjoyable. Being Chise, she still manages to make a mess of her first meeting with a peer. But it's not a complete loss, as said roommate shows up in the ED smiling so the relationship has longer to go.

Elias being overprotective of his apprentice and wife is commuting as a visiting professor, which is considered surprising by his College contact who never expected him to do something so bold in the public. Being with Chise has changed him, for better or worse and he's decided to go along with her wish even if there's plenty of self interest involved in his participation. An old adversary from season one is also at the College, but it looks like they'll avoid killing each other as Elias doesn't lie and usually keeps his word.

As always, the world building in this franchise is one of its strongest suits. Whether it's the ingenious fusion of technology and magic in illustrating the College layout, or the novel use of magical cats as dormitory mistresses, there's never a dull moment with this franchise. It's a good start, but it needs to offer more to keep the anime-only viewers engaged.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:12 am Reply with quote
When a show is this well done, I don't even consider it an anime any more, I consider it a world. And this is a world I enjoy visiting immensely. So now Chise is in Hogwarts, er, I mean, English College. Actually, I make the comparison for jocular purposes only. Yes, they are both institutions devoted to educating magic users, but in terms of environment, they couldn't be more different. Hogwarts is pastoral and Gothic while English College is urban and modern.

Chise's icy room-mate will doubtlessly be thawed by Chise's charm which will be fun to watch. Yes, consider me hyped for this.
ACxS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:54 pm Reply with quote
S2, 1:

Man, this show is quite a throwback.

Five years is a long time. Long enough that I have almost zero memory of what transpired in the first season. All I remember were Elias and Chise (and some discussion of whether she was suffering from some kind of Stockholm Syndrome), some "kid" named Joseph whose immortality is a curse, and just sorcery in overall.

I also remember that the show's pacing was deliberately slow and it really took its time to develop. Based on the first episode of this season, I don't think anything has changed. The production values are top notch so far, and seeing how this show is only one cour long, I don't mind sticking around.

Plus, CATS!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:18 pm Reply with quote
S2 #2

It's still a slow expository episode, as Chise learns more about her new surroundings and attends her first class. Although it's not a surprise she's awkward with interpersonal interactions, she has a lot of practice dealing with village residents as the local pharmacist in lieu with Elias, so she has something to fall back upon when she panics in an unfamiliar situation. Since she's had so much practice, the occupational hazard turns out to be an easy out for her in that situation and it conveys the impression she means no harm to others.

The big draw of this episode is the formal elaboration of what magic and sorcery entail and what the differences are for those aspiring to control the elemental forces of nature. In this series, Elias and Chise would be mages (magic) while the other students are sorcery. Never liked this translation as it's the opposite of the D&D definitions. At any rate, Elias's branch relies on interceding with the "neighbours" in order to manifest magic, whereas the Renfred branch would be to understand the rules through which the "neighbours" follow and perform their feats and then to manipulate these rules to manifest the same feats as Elias's school without the need to intercede with the "neighbours". As the "neighbours" are temperamental, not everyone can be like Elias whereas those who have the aptitude and talent can elect to pursue the Renfred branch.

With a name like Narcisse Maugham, the first thing that came to mind is "Narcissist" and that is indeed what he's happy to identify himself as. It's a very good speech for an opening day of school, not surprising as the VA is well known and has to put in quite an effort to get the desired effect.

Elias chose the form of his old mentor to ease the concerns of his prospective students, but it was certainly a textbook example of how to conduct a class until the student lost his temper with the salamander and nearly caused a classroom fire. Renfred of course takes Elias to task with this, but I'm not sure how else Elias could have gone about this introductory session since the "neighbours" are free spirits and cannot be compelled not to threaten students who get on their bad side.

Chise's natural aptitude at sorcery is thanks to her innate heritage as a Sleigh Beggy and her own disposition towards being kind to others. Whether her peers will realise this and stop pestering her for classes in her school remains to be seen.

In case others have forgotten, Alice is Renfred's disciple from season 1. Utterly devoted to him and initially hostile to Chise. Quite the change in demeanour, and it appears the Will O'Wisp has formed her contract with her and helps shut down potential backtalk aimed within earshot. Because of the contract, Alice is capable of Elias's branch but typically of the Wisp she can't really control it well. Chise's familiar (Ruth) probably won't be seen by the rest of the class unless Chise is in mortal danger while in their presence.

Episodes like this are fine and all, but it's the last shot that's a reminder that not all is as it seems in this College. More marrying of modern technology with magic in the unlocking of that immense gate, hopefully we viewers will find out more about what is going on.
ACxS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:57 pm Reply with quote
2:

I think I will drop this show.

It's definitely not a bad show per se; perhaps the pacing is very slow (nothing new, it was the same for the first season too). But I just have wayyyy too much on my plate right now, and if I have to sacrifice any show, it's this one.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:10 pm Reply with quote
S2 #3

The pacing is still glacial, but I don't mind since the franchise has never been about grandiose action scenes. Slow episodes like this also improve the atmosphere, which is one of the biggest selling points of this franchise.

There are a lot of classmates for Chise to familiarise with, so a formal introduction over a school meal is a convenient way to go about it. Although her situation as far as curses is concerned is precarious, there are ancillary benefits such as improved senses and increased physical strength. Usually identical twins can be impossible to differentiate for absolute strangers, but she can tell straight away so they'll lose any surprises trying to fool her with switching identities. The main problem she has now as far as relationships is concerned is her roommate (who seems hostile to most) and the green-haired Zoe (who is more sensitive than most to non-human presence). A bit unfair to call Chise non-human, since she technically still is albeit circumstances making the distinction very blurry in her case.

As for Elias's end, his old master has awakened and is most likely responsible for separating Chise and Ruth from Stella. I'm guessing based on next week's trailer, but why and how this might be the case is something to look forward to for next week. Elias's old acquaintances are also getting used to him being an instructor for once, which is a big move for him knowing his true nature.

The big plot hanging over this season is also moving slowly forwards, as it appears the College's Number Two is keeping tabs on all the new arrivals and their potential impact on the College's stability.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 4

I probably should have rewatched Season 1 before this season started. No doubt I would be getting more out of knowing exactly who is who from the first go around. Oh well. Another talky episode. It was interesting to learn that Elias has a different concept of what a bride is than most other people. Like other fans, I'm not particularly bothered by the fact that an actual story hasn't kicked in yet. I think we're getting close to that, though...
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 pm Reply with quote
S2 #4

One of the questions which anime-only viewers might have asked is why Elias bought Chise and said she would be his bride. Turns out even Chise would like an answer to the question, but it took an unexpected meeting with Lindel's (and Elias's) master Rahab to prompt Chise to ask Elias directly. I do not believe Chise would have ever asked Elias this question without the meeting, as she seems to have accepted her current role in Elias's life without questioning.

If one rewatches the episode where Elias has taken a female form to teach the students, the similarities between him and Rahab are very pronounced. He must have spent decades learning to mimic Rahab, but even she admits she was not the best role model for him to follow and is pleased that without mimicking her he managed to learn more about human on his own and with Chise's company. Rahab's lesson on family and marriage should have been done better, something Chise and Ruth have found out to their chagrin.

There's a minor plot hole: this episode is not the first time Elias has taken the back channel to commute to College. However, he's forced to swallow the hound dogs' offering together with Chise and Ruth when prompted to. If this is really the first time he's taken the back channel together with the guide, then arriving at the College back in episode two might have been through another route which only he knew and would have been slower than the "back channel" chosen in this episode. The discrepancy isn't easy to reconcile for me, but whatever the circumstances Elias has decided to take a calculated risk together with Chise in order to use the route as the Hounds guarding the channel appear to be extremely territorial and very intolerant of trespassers. Even the centaur who is contracted with them appears extremely reluctant to use the chosen channel too often.

After this week's interlude, it looks like it's back to school life for Chise. Her fellow students look like they're doing something akin to Oujia, which might not end well even for magically talented students given that ritual's poor reputation.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 5

My goodness, that Lucy Webster is quite the bitch on wheels. Mind you, I suppose having a chunk (or all?) of your family be killed might do that to you. So there's a gorgon in the student body. I guess Chise won't be seeing eye to eye with him any time soon, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk! I'll be here all week, folks... don't forget to tip your server. Philomena is a downer. I wonder what her deal is? Quite the passel of students the college has there. Spring break should be a blast.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 10:07 pm Reply with quote
S2 #5

The dorm managers already said some of the students are in the College but do not have homes they wish to return to. Lucy Webster might be one such example. Despite the social ineptitude, one can never accuse her of being roundabout with her approach. She won't hide anything either, so she'll say what she means without speaking behind your back. It hasn't won her any friends in the College, but I get the feeling she doesn't really care about that as she has her own troubles to deal with.

As for Ivy Zoe, being half-Gorgon has its fair share of troubles. I had thought Ivy Zoe was reacting to Chise being a Sleigh Beggy, turns out it's the dragon curse which is the cause of her discomfort. There's nothing Chise can do about this, but explaining their positions to each other should increase the tolerance level as it is no longer an unknown that has to be avoided or endured indefinitely. Everyone was surprised the snakes didn't attack but showed affection to Chise. We viewers know why, but it's something which has not struck the others as significant so it's another secret Chise can continue to keep.

The contract of silence is an ironclad rule to keep secrets, but is it something that is going to have consequences down the line? Bearing in mind Chise's magic branch is completely different to that of the College, going into one however inadvertently might be picked up by Elias and the others of his branch. She has to keep this secret from him, which might not be something he is going to understand.

So the College has Seven Great Families, some of the scions happen to be students as well. Rian has the smell of rust to the fairies, and his peers don't like his haughty manner. But he's deciding to make a clean break from his clan, which others think is impossible. Perhaps we viewers will find out more about this, the St. George twins, Lucy Webster's past and other mysteries hidden in the College.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 3:52 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
As for Ivy Zoe, being half-Gorgon has its fair share of troubles. I had thought Ivy Zoe was reacting to Chise being a Sleigh Beggy, turns out it's the dragon curse which is the cause of her discomfort. There's nothing Chise can do about this, but explaining their positions to each other should increase the tolerance level as it is no longer an unknown that has to be avoided or endured indefinitely. Everyone was surprised the snakes didn't attack but showed affection to Chise. We viewers know why, but it's something which has not struck the others as significant so it's another secret Chise can continue to keep.

Kind of looked like he started to pick up on the smell that she is a Sleigh Beggy, right before Ruth caught the peeper.

Also, I remember kind of getting used to the non-human like characters having names not typical of their gender, and then this episode had "human" character names like Zoe Ivy and Violet for presumably dudes. I am not a stickler for gender norms, but this series has had me think before if the creator is aware that they are not typical names for males.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 5:59 am Reply with quote
I confess that despite her name, I had been assuming that Ivy was a guy.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 6:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I confess that despite her name, I had been assuming that Ivy was a guy.

Assumption isn't wrong. Ivy Zoe is male. Press the author regarding the choice of name.

Probably the same reason I read elsewhere with a female character being called "Robin".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 13