• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Ancient Magus' Bride (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:01 am Reply with quote
Just to confuse the matter even more, if you click on the ANN Encyclopedia entry for Ivy's seiyuu, Daiki Kobayashi, he looks very androgynous, imo. Could easily pass for a female, I think unless maybe there's just something screwy with my eyes:

person#134824
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:03 am Reply with quote
The VA's name is clearly male, so no doubts there. As for the appearance, that's a lot of speculation based on a photo of unknown provenance. Short of seeing the person live or a photo with a definitive date and place, I'm in no position to pass judgment.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
I should have been more clear: when you wrote that Ivy was a female character in an earlier post, I checked the seiyuu page because I thought the character is male (which he is). But when I saw the photo, I thought, oh the seiyuu is female so Ivy must be a female character, after all. As a non-Japanese speaker, I had no idea at the time that Daiki is a masculine name.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 7:15 am Reply with quote
My mistake, should have used "his" rather than "her".
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
S2 #6

This episode follows up on the one from two weeks back, which surprised me as I didn't think this thread would be taken up so soon. The show bouncing between different themes is nothing new though.

I was surprised when Elias asked Renfred for advice given how much the latter hates him, but when one thinks about why he asked Renfred it makes sense as he is the only teacher in the College Elias knows who has a similar situation to him. Unfortunately for Renfred, Alice overheard the conversation so instead of Elias and Chise talking through their current relationship it is Alice and Renfred who get thrown in as part of the episode package on what relationships mean and how they are defined by those involved and those looking in from the outside.

Simon's analogy was a nice one as well. As much as the pair wanted to deny it, Simon put his argument through in such a way that neither of them could deny what he initially asserted.

The episode centrepiece is of course Elias and Chise reaffirming their current relationship with each other. Alice didn't really flinch when Chise said she's sleep together with Elias another night, so for those familiar with the pair's circumstances they have a fairly good grasp of what's going on between them. Renfred might have reacted differently, but I'm certain Alice wouldn't tell him of what went on when she overnighted at Elias's cottage (which also says a lot about their relationship as Renfred either didn't know or didn't object to what Alice planned outside of College hours).

The show doesn't let viewers forget there's an overarching arc covering this adaptation, both in the final scene where we are shown what's behind the heavily locked door and the episode to come involving the class spy and her family background.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:41 am Reply with quote
I feel for Alice. It's clear she has feelings for Renfred that are different than the ones he has for her. If you love someone in a romantic way, the last thing you want to hear is that they view you as their child. I could be wrong, but it's possible that she and Renfred may be headed for aspoiler[ Bunny Drop situation]. (Note: that spoiler tag hides an important element of a well known title that, if you aren't familiar with it, you wouldn't want to know in advance. Or maybe you would, so you could avoid the title entirely. In any case, you've been warned.) It's kind of funny that the show has gone this long in its run and is only now truly starting to delve into what the title of the show actually means. I got a nice chuckle over Chise's comment that Elias didn't have to sleep alone because he had Ruth and he goes, "Eww" which prompted Ruth to protest that that was his line. That kind of humour has always been a big part of my enjoyment of this show.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:33 pm Reply with quote
S2 #7

Nothing much happens in this episode, but it doesn't mean it's a waste of time. We learn a little more about Philomela, see Renfred's view of his relationship with Alice and discover that this week is just a setup for the mini-arc which starts in earnest next week.

With a family background like hers and the pressure which comes with having to conform to the expectations of others with the threat of expulsion and losing everything enjoyed thus far at the drop of a hat, it's no wonder Philomela has changed so much since she taught her cousin how to climb trees when they were younger. Her patron has an absolute hold over her, but is it something she abuses or something akin to a child cherishing a beloved toy? We don't know much about Veronica for now, so no point jumping to conclusions. We do know Philomela takes her ability to spy undetected very seriously, and that Chise's ability to detect and catch her in the act is something so serious she has to consult the clan's familiar for advice. Alcyone seems to be the only ally Philomela has in her family home, so it's no wonder she's happier being in the College away from such an oppressive environment.

As for Adolf, he's a difficult one to read. Old enough to remember Dresden before WW2, yet he's happy to be Renfred's "Junior" even though their biological ages are vastly different. If I recall correctly he wanted to be an exponent of Elias's branch of magic, realised he didn't have the aptitude for it and then switched to the College branch instead. Talk of memories from him means quite a lot when considering how old he is and the things he's seen, especially with his formidable eyesight.

Camping in Scotland is a nice excursion on paper, but Chise is a Sleigh Baggy and I wonder if the College accounted for that when letting her tag along. From the trailer, we know Elias is overprotective and has joined up anyway without telling her, but she'll need his help as it appears the local neighbours have taken an interest in Chise. Some of the Celtic creatures of mythology look like they're going to make an appearance next week. Chise might not have the same unpleasant experience of the outdoors she had when she was still in Japan, but in Scotland she's going to make memories of an entirely different kind by the looks of things.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 10:17 pm Reply with quote
S2 #8

I was wrong about Elias; turns out he did ask her for permission to tag along. Not only that, he tagged along in a diminished form in respect to her wishes that she learn bushcraft without too much assistance. Turns out his presence was required, as Chise's innate nature of drawing neighbours to her has very dangerous consequences for those around her.

The first part of the episode is innocent enough, very much on the slow lane as viewers see the students generally enjoy themselves on their camping trip. It's the last night of the trip that brings on the drama. For all the commotion featuring hungry Kelpies (the Celtic name for this neighbour is too hard for me to spell with its diacritical) and Scottish Umibouzu (Nuckelavee has a wikipedia entry, creator certainly did the homework on Orkney Island myths), we do not actually find out what the book with the turning pages was or what was really responsible for Lucy's collapse. The book shows up again the trailer, so perhaps that question will be answered down the line.

Chise has two curses at present, and it looks like both of them came to the fore when the Nuckelavee tried to drown her. That being was most likely Joseph, since the arm it manifested is something he could use previously. The strength to shred the Nuckelavee in one swing would be the supernatural dragon strength in play.

Rian wants to learn Chise's branch of magic, but it appears he has no problem of employing a different branch on himself (looks like item transmutation). Kelpies are averse to iron, which buys Chise enough time to reach the shore and away from the Kelpie's dining table. It was a risk to go for a ride, but help rendered from a neighbour must be repaid and Chise does offer recompense. A calculated risk, but one which allowed everyone to survive unscathed in the end. At the very least Elias's teachings are upheld when the situation calls for it. Chise has someway to go before she can be independent enough to survive on her own in the wilds, but if she learns Elias's ability to invite help from the neighbours at short notice under any circumstances, she'll be fine so long as Ruth stays by her side.

Is there an aftermath to Chise's transforming arm? Seems like it in the trailer, but it's most likely a different story arc starting and perhaps the pace will pick up.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I am impressed by the research done by the writers into Northern Scotland and Orkney Island myths. They had to do some deep digging to come up with these two fae creatures.
It will be interesting to see the cause of Lucy's loss of magic power and if there is any fallout for Chise by her using her dragon arm.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:08 pm Reply with quote
S2 #9

For the longest time, there hasn't been much development on this season's main story arc. That all changes with this episode, as it appears forces long dormant have decided to make their move.

Being in a coma for ten days despite Chise's magic transfer suggests whatever it was which attacked Lucy is a dangerous foe, especially as the cause and identity of the attacker remains unidentified. Although she eventually regains consciousness, we learn she has an older brother who survived the massacre of her family, yet he was cast out for having no magic aptitude. What's even more surprising is that he knows Chise, so small world for both of them. However I am unable to recall where we've seen Seth Noel before, perhaps the series will throw a bone to the uninitiated in reminding us who exactly he is to Chise.

The Webster tragedy has been referenced in previous episodes, and it's a taboo to talk about it amongst the College fraternity. So it's a good thing we viewers finally learn what it is about as the instructors who crowd Elias aren't bound by such conventions and will speak when they see fit. Is it a coincidence that the centaur was attacked shortly after making contact with Elias? No reason for Elias himself to be hostile, but someone is making life more difficult for him after he publicly announced his recent contact with the forbidden book.

The credits reference the mysterious attacker as 人狼(男), so we have werewolves involved in this series. Not sure what they're after, but the trailer suggests Seth is the target together with his sister. What's exciting is that to throw off the pursuers it appears Chise is using the "shortcut" from a weeks back which is dangerous for those who have not entered into a bargain with the resident guardians. More action next week, and more on the main plot after plenty of weeks on exposition, so something to look forward to.

Checking the schedule reveals this adaptation is on a quarter long, which is an unpleasant surprise as the pacing suggested this was for two quarters. Not sure where the cut-off is going to be, but I would very much prefer this continued into another quarter even if it means the animators take the next three months off to continue working on the material.
Gisan Otaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Seth Noel was the person who stopped Chise from jumping off the roof and runs the auction house where Chise was sold. I just watched season 1 episode 1.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for that. Literally for the hardcore fans as there's been no mention of him every since she was bought by Elias until this week's episode.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:53 am Reply with quote
He actually also showed up in the last arc of the first season as well: when Chise tried to rescue the captured dragon by buying it at the auction. He gave Chise access to the money he was holding in escrow for her: the money which Elias had paid to buy her. Chise used the money to bid in the auction for the dragon.

I re-watched the OVA and the first season in March before the second season started, since it had been more than 5 years since I had last watched them.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
He actually also showed up in the last arc of the first season as well: when Chise tried to rescue the captured dragon by buying it at the auction. He gave Chise access to the money he was holding in escrow for her: the money which Elias had paid to buy her. Chise used the money to bid in the auction for the dragon.

Really didn't leave a strong impression for both appearances for me.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:01 pm Reply with quote
S2 #10

Talk about accelerating the pace, so much has happened in this episode that it's increasingly likely some kind of conclusion will be reached before the quarter is up. I'm not a fan of this approach to narrative, but it's better than leaving a lot of threads hanging with no guarantee of answers in future adaptations.

Enough of the Webster tragedy is revealed to viewers to form a general picture of why Lucy is the way she is and why she has such animosity to her only surviving (disowned) kin. Questions remain: notably why Lucy was kept alive when there was ample opportunity to finish her, the assailants actually admitting she was a loose end that had to be tied up and why the family was slaughtered to begin with. Seth mentioned there were many reasons why magical families would be targets for a mafia-style hit, but we viewers might not find out why until future adaptations. At the very least, it appears the Webster thread is not connected to the main arc of conspiracy and now magical assaults on College personnel.

Again I cannot remember who Marielle is. Both Seth and Elias know who she is, and it's clear she's a Magus like Elias as her magic relies on help from the neighbours. She's capable enough to identify the cause of the collapses, and it appears the College has also cottoned on to the insider who is using the stolen tome to steal magic. Who that person is may or may not be outed before the quarter is up, but that's the goal for the main arc to resolve before airtime is up.

Cartaphilus hinted that Chise has awakened to a more ruthless streak in resolving crisis affecting her and her friends. It appears his influence is behind the suggestions prompting her to employ solutions which she would otherwise not consider if she's fully aware of the consequences. Elias on the other hand actually let her get on with it as he approves of this method as something he would probably do himself if incapable of killing the assailants personally. Chise's conscience (which is the subject of the episode title for these two weeks) may make her a "coward", but this cowardice saves her life and those of her friends while keeping a lead for Lucy and Seth to chase since there was one survivor.

The final scene suggests it is definitely not Philomela's clan that is responsible for the mysterious assaults, and that they have been tasked by the College to handle the clean-up. The grandmother is a nasty piece of work, but as far as Chise is concerned if she lends her weight to helping Chise and Elias against the mysterious perpetrator they could not have asked for a more formidable ally for this short-term goal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13