• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Shall Survive Using Potions! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I Shall Survive Using Potions! (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 10 volumes, written by FUNA, illustrated by Sukima)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Jumondou

Genres: comedy, fantasy

Themes: isekai, medieval, reincarnation

Plot Summary: One day, the supervisor in charge of watching over Earth was taking care of a distortion, when they made a mistake that caused Kaoru Nagase to lose her physical body. Not only that, but reincarnating her into a different, less culturally advanced world is the only thing they can offer to do for her.

Not one to take this turn of events sitting down, Kaoru makes a demand: the power to create potions at any time she pleases, with whatever effect she wants it to have—and it doesn't stop there either. She asks for a magical Item Box, the ability to understand and speak every language, and the same body she had back when she was a fifteen-year-old girl. Using her newfound powers, Kaoru has to try and make a stable life for herself in a whole new world.

Air Date & Platform:
October 7, 2023 (Saturday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:16 am Reply with quote
So, while the first episode did not do anything shocking and had more than a few clichés in it, I liked it well enough. This is in large part due to the mc being rather crafty and knowing when to press to get an advantage. It was the god's fault that she died, so you gotta push for some good freebies for the new world. I also liked that she was able to say goodbye to her friend and family, a rarity in the genre. As for her dealing with that greedy noble, good job.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:07 am Reply with quote
Weird second episode, it kind of jumped to all sorts of different locations. It did show that the mc can not manage to not attract attention, even if she says that she wants a calm peaceful isekai life. She tried working at a restaurant and get by with new dishes and providing guidance, yet she has become involved with nobles, again.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:02 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, it struck me that the author might be following the comedy path of Tanya the Evil but I thought the idea that she was fairly politically and psychologically astute and use that as a "side gig" to her unique culinary repertoire (for that world) quite unique and interesting. No way she isn't becoming a royal adviser and sort of reminds me of How a Realist Rebuilt the Kingdom...
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
This had a little bit of a Restaurant from Another World vibe to it, maybe not to that degree, but the supporting characters that the main character encounters and the impact she leaves on their lives is just as focused as the main character herself. Not to mention parts of episode 2 just out ride parody that series.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
So I guess the pattern here is the main character moves into a new town just trying to live a quiet normal life, but her overall good nature she does stuff that draws attention to herself, and than has to go to new town to start over.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Yup. the issue is that she is a good person who will always help those in need, this in time causes others/nobles to take notice. Though she is now using a disguise and a different name, so maybe it will work out better this time.

As for the first half of the episode, that was a nice fact check of what it means to be a queen or noble woman of high rank. She reminded quite a few ladies that their life is anything but a dream and maybe now that idiot prince will start thinking a bit more.
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
This lightning fast pacing and character introductions, it is hard to keep track of it all, much less get attached to any of the supporting characters. I wonder if this will slow down soon.

I wonder if the prince is going to be an ongoing antagonist, who will chase our heroine all over the world? Do all these arcs have any connection at all?

It is nice to have a Iseaki series that references the previous life and highlights the loved ones the MC is losing. The OP is almost all about the pre series life.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Ep3- Didn't I tell everyone this would be a good show? This proves it, doesn't use tropes and stock patterns, keeps the plot moving and fresh. And now, Kaoru has become a better version Fagan where she helps those downtrodden by "noble" society (for a little payment) and might be able to escape undue notice through the goodwill she is creating. I think quite a novel concept in recent anime history (among shows I have seen at least).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I like how Kaoru helps the downtrodden and those with a righteous heart whenever she can. Her wish to have a calm and normal life is at odds with how she conducts herself however. Going to a gathering of a prominent noble and healing someone while proclaiming the name of the goddess is a surefire way to get noticed. Yet in previous episodes she vowed to stay low key and disguised in order to stay under the radar. It was in fact the previous episode in which she donned her disguise and in this one she suddenly throws it all away.

Talking it out with both the church and royalty while saying she made a vow to the goddess is anything but low-key either. Judging by the shady person there more trouble will pop up.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I might have gushed too soon. Not sure if the writing is just poor or if there is some plot trajectory they are pursuing but it makes Kaoru seem oddly inconsistent and possibly dumb/egotistical... Confused
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:25 pm Reply with quote
More like she suddenly decided to drop the act and help people without hiding herself, yet that makes all her effort to stay hidden before kind of pointless, oh well. This week's episode was a rather busy one. Forming a hidden organization and starting to sell potions all over the land, revealing some lying clergymen and seeing a war begin to take place. That last one is especially interesting given that the war is to capture Kaoru, which means any victims in said war would be due to her revealing herself.

I get that she wants to make the world a better place with her blessing, yet problems will always follow her it seems.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Well, we sure had some lovely war crimes in this week's episode. There were no deaths.....yet, but it seems like that will change now. Also, Kaoru can sure use her ability in very cruel ways. Making the bodies of enemy soldiers be the container of the potion and thus be able to put poison into them without even needing to be close is something else.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:47 am Reply with quote
What a wild series this is, I mean that in both a good and bad way. You never know what might happen and some of the events this week are....something else. Anyway, the war is now over and it seems like it is time to move on to another area again.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:33 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Well, we sure had some lovely war crimes in this week's episode. There were no deaths.....yet, ...
Well, this time you spoke too soon. Right out of the gate Ep7, death by explosion! And following that up by giving Fran a fun new sword to go on a homicidal rampage that she was way too happy to use. I loved her fiancée's reaction (looks like he had better not piss her off)...Also got a kick out of Kaoru telling him "make sure she doesn't go out of control". Like how do you suggest?? BTW Einherjar=Army of One and she sure is! Holy Knight...Holy Sh*t!

Also a little disturbing that the author's idea of "not too old to marry" ala Fran is what looks like 12/13 and now Kaoru is preoccupied about "getting a man"...

Have to comment that the artwork had some slips unless the enemy General is supposed to look like a high school doodle gone wrong but the rest are Ok. The pace is a little too fast for such momentous developments if you ask me and it comes off feeling inconsequential, which is a shame. Still likable but could be better...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2