• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Licenses the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
Interesting, Bandai was one of the licensors I hadn't even considered as being the one that picked it up. Good move on their part though, this one should be huge for them. Their releases tend to leave a bit to be desired for extras though, they do good releases but usually the art and inserts and DVD extras themselves are minimal or non-existent. This could be an issue as I imagine some of those rabid "haruhists" Rolling Eyes are going to be picking this release apart from the dub to artwork selected and everything in between.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quote
Bandai isn't the only company skimping on inserts, Most of the Major Hollywood movies coming out don't even have them (some are replaced by ads or coupons which suck).

Hear my plea Bandai! WE WANT QUALITY DVD'S!
If they don't I may just start making my own...

also, this wait is going to be hell for these dvd's.
cl4y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:12 am Reply with quote
LOL @ the credits...

Quote:
NO special thanks to:

Downloaders and bootleggers who never buy the official DVD's.
MJP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:17 am Reply with quote
I'm on the fence about Patricia Ja Lee. It could be really good. First off, consider that this was live video doing an acting interpretation of the character. She was able to rely a lot on body language, sight jokes and visual gags, etc. Those speak more on the camera than a voice does. Also, consider that Aya Hirano's Haruhi is a good octave or two lower than a lot of other females in anime.

I think it's worth giving it a fair shot at the dub. Hopefully we'll get an episode 00 (not Mikuru's, more like FMP: TSR's episode 00) to give it a good solid listen.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I had a strange feeling Bandai would get this.

that was also on my mind. somewhat. thought about it a couple times, but i didn't think theyd get it. at least we know with Kadokawa and Bandai working on it, the series will be safe.

but how the heck are they gonna do the Mikuru squeek in english?
Zrana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
LOL @ the credits...

Quote:
NO special thanks to:

Which means that downloaders and bootleggers who DO buy the official DVD's are cool with them?

Cool Yay, I'm cool.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:33 am Reply with quote
Me too!

Anyway I just watched the video, had to give in.

They better not translate ESPERS into PSYCHICS *groan*

I think her voice could work, as mentioned this was live action, and her on screen live performance doesn't work but her voice could (I hid the video and listened to judge it. She could work.

I want more now...
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Yay for Haruhi! Ya know, I'm just happy it got liscensed. I'm not picky. If Haruhi has a great dub and is uncut, I'm happy.

Now liscense the OTHER Haruhi (Ouran High School Host Club) and I'll be set!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Zrana wrote:
cl4y wrote:
LOL @ the credits...

Quote:
NO special thanks to:

Which means that downloaders and bootleggers who DO buy the official DVD's are cool with them?

Cool Yay, I'm cool.
Well, they did give special thanks to "Fansub lovers who buy the official products to support more creative works," so that means they're okay with them. Actually, bootleggers (the ones who create the bootlegs) do buy the official DVDs--otherwise, how would they create bootlegs with the official translations and both audio tracks? Cool

I'll echo the concerns of others about Bandai's skimpy extras and packaging, but judging by FMP! TSR, Kadokawa's involvement will mean some extras for us. Now, where's the other info people are waiting on -- when are the DVDs coming out, and what order will the episodes appear in Question
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
I was right about Kadokawa, though I wasn't expecting Bandai for distro. Actually, I was hoping it wouldn't be them given there spotty DVD releases as of late (see Mai HiME). But given how this announcement was handled, I'm thinking this will be one of their good releases.

I loved the mention of fansubs in the credits as well.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
dormcat wrote:
An user submitted that piece of information without trustworthy source and/or explanation. I've locked the submission temporarily to prevent further speculations and false information until an official English staff / cast list is available.

I'll double check that info when I call Bandai.

BTW, that Episode 00 was filmed at the Bandai America building and the narrator is Sam Maseba of Bandai Entertainment.

-t

I hope that means he isn't Kyon's dub voice. That was terrible.

And I'm not sure why all of you dont want Lee to do Haruhi I thought she was fine. Though I think we can all agree the girl's hot.
Stullz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

And I'm not sure why all of you don't want Lee to do Haruhi I thought she was fine. Though I think we can all agree the girl's hot.

I totally agree with the hotness Smile
skyechan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Wow. I couldn't stand what I saw of the Haruhi TV anime, but the sheer awesomeness of the video on the website makes me want to give the show another try.

Just skip the Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 and you should be fine. ^^;

Last edited by skyechan on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:14 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
haruhifan1200

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
"It seems that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was licensed for US distribution. I wonder who it is..."
Man, I wasn't expecting that! Kadokawa was kind of obvious, but Bandai was a surprise. Well, I have confidence they'll do a good job! Go, go Bandai!
Already put a friend's request on MySpace. Very Happy
It'd be cool if we got those omake from the Japanese DVDs (but if they do, make some without that are cheaper. I'm broke!)
And I'll definetly be checking everyday for updates- like how the show will be distributed and the order of episodes. I personally think broadcast is better, but if it's JDVD version It'd probably be okay.
I like The Adventures of Americans!
ShootYouStars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
LOL @ the credits...

Quote:
NO special thanks to:

I know, I was about to comment on that. Anime hyper No special thanks for you! All the o rly turtles and cats are in the credits too. Anime hyper

I'm just glad it's been liscened. Now, as long as it's not dubtitled and at least has the creditless openings and endings, I'm A-OK. Though I have the feeling we'll get that and more, seeing all the work they put into the "Episode 00". (I thought it was going to be the actual animated Episode 00 at first Anime hyper I'm a loser) I haven't seen the whole series, but I watched up to 3 and I liked it, but was waiting for a dvd release.

This makes me want to go around doing the finger-circle-thing. Fwee~
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11