• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Essential Sentai Teams

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate Cyborg 009 being on this list, though the image makes it look like Françoise is the leader of the group, which...would be an interesting idea.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Considering "Cyborg 009" creator also created the "Super Sentai" franchise, I would say 009 is the essential sentai team.

there are in a much better place than say the pretty cure (precure) series which is lately been focusing more on the younger demograph than previous series.

and its gotten worse for the franchise with netflix americanizing the series (its lucky that it have treated other anime series right otherwise more people will be comparing on the same levels as 4kids & nelvana) and creating the mess that is glitter force with ZERO signs that the series will be getting an official sub version.

precure might be continuing the SM legacy in japan, but unless something is done with the direction its going in the US, it will head down in the same unfortunate direction of pokemon and YGO where the otaku fanbase wont be watching them on official channels, but on fansub websites.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 pm Reply with quote
*slams the box for Katori* my vote is set
frubam

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dB6E-PpQpo

can't mention sentai without this...
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
How is Aoba is number three perplexes me.

Anyway, nice to see both Gatchaman and Cyborg 009 on the list.
I haven't heard of the last one, so it might be worth checking out.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Cyborg 009 is a very old series. It got started in the 1960s, in the era of Osamu Tezuka, and its premise is pretty deeply linked to the Cold War. You'll have to keep that in mind if you intend to read or watch it (and, in fact, the Tokyopop manga releases have the time period in which it was drawn as a combination intro/disclaimer).
kamui85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
expected to see voltron....
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Cyborg 009 is a very old series. It got started in the 1960s, in the era of Osamu Tezuka, and its premise is pretty deeply linked to the Cold War. You'll have to keep that in mind if you intend to read or watch it (and, in fact, the Tokyopop manga releases have the time period in which it was drawn as a combination intro/disclaimer).

I'll keep that in mind.
But I made an error that caused confusion. I mean to say the second one which is Shinesman. That is the one I never heard of since sentai is usually reserved for live action.
Forgot to mention, I'm glad Saint Seiya is on the list. Great show!
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
But I made an error that caused confusion. I mean to say the second one which is Shinesman. That is the one I never heard of since sentai is usually reserved for live action.

Shinesman dates back to 1996, so it's no surprise that you've never heard of it. It was originally a Media Blasters (Anime Works) title, and as far as I can tell is long out of print. No idea if it can be legally streamed anywhere.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
If you can believe it, Saint Seiya's characters are about in the same age range as Sailor Moon's characters. Especially jarring is Dragon Shiryu who is aged as being about 15 during the show despite looking like he's in his early 20s and voiced in the Japanese version by a manly sounding Hirotaka Suzuoki.

In fact all the characters in that show suffer from "younger than they look" syndrome, even Athena herself. And Seiya himself is younger than Sailor Moon's character was by a year when they started the show. Yet again he's drawn like he's about 16 or 17.

The anime certainly made some of them worse. Sagittarius Aiolos for instance was 14 spoiler[when he died], so in the manga he looked roughly the same age as the main characters (Seiya and Shun were 13, Shiryu and Hyoga were 14, and Ikki was 15). The anime made him look later 20s, lol.

Marin and Shaina were 16, which means Marin was like 9 when she started training Seiya, which does not work with any flashbacks we see.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge Sailor Moon and Saint Seiya fan here, I love more of the older ones than the newer ones for Sailor Moon, not because of nostalgia, but because the art/animation are superior, better action scenes even with stock footage, and the Sailors have more personality and character, are not just tropes, they feel more useful with their attacks being useful most of the time and powerful and active in battle against the enemies (it got better in S when the Outers came in), whilst in the newer ones, I've already mentioned what I think of the art/animation there (I think) they always most of the time seem powerless, attacks more useless, are bland mostly, and at times just stand there doing nothing or get worfed (why anyone thinks they're "treated better/more competent" there is beyond me), I hope the upcoming 2 movies change that. And not to mention the majority of the fanboys/fangirls there ruined it and the manga so much for me I don't think I can say a lot of positive things about it.

Call me crazy, but I think Omega actually looks decent though the animation is horrible, same thing with Soul of Gold. It does have its flaws and parts of it do feel stupid compared to the original though (the Ryuho/Koga fight was far inferior and forgettable to the Seiya/Shiryu one).

Glimpsed at Shinesman and it's great, I'm planning to watch Bubblegum Crisis (all the series, including Crash and 2040, but not AD Police Files, that series from what I saw of it in its "Anime Abandon" episode was too creepy and gross for me and this is from someone who can handle gore in Fist of the North Star), want to see Gatchaman, never saw Cyborg 009.

I used to be a big fan of Precure too, but now............not so much anymore. To me, the show went downhill around Doki Doki (it looks like they actually ripped off some of the Sailors' ending poses there), Happiness Charge sucked, Go!Princess was "eh" (and I heard its sales bombed)...and the last two, "Maho Girls" and "Kira Kira a la Mode", they, along with just feel like copycat clones of better anime that came before it, Kira Kira in fact is a rip-off of Tokyo Mew Mew (then again Smile had the Pegasus/Princess powers, the original Precure has seven rainbow crystals like the Sailor Moon ones but they still feel kinda more original). The animation/art quality have gotten worse, and something about it, just doesn't feel engaging. Sad

Don't get me started on Saban's "Glitter Force" names of it, I can't even look up Smile without that sick, disgusting name showing up, they're even calling Doki Doki "Glitter Force Doki Doki"? F**king stupid name. They're Evil or Very Mad

Then again, when I look at Precure as a whole, it just comes off to me like a standard/typical magical girl anime, and while it is like a female Super Sentai/Power Rangers with different teams, all the series feel so similar to me.

And the less said about that movie which had the big baddy like some My Little Pony Megazord, the better...

@Codeanime93

Yeah, that's one thing I found odd with Saint Seiya and such, the characters looking/sounding much older than they are, along with Sailor Moon, in fact, I thought the five Inners were adults when I first saw it. That's even a case with Bleach I've noticed, I've seen a picture of Ichigo all ripped yet he's only 15.

I've heard the reason they're like that is because they're also escapist fantasy series where power, beauty and masculinity are portrayed as over the top as possible, and the characters like say, the Sailors, are portrayed more as mature adult women than teenagers.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
Don't get me started on Saban's "Glitter Force" names of it, I can't even look up Smile without that sick, disgusting name showing up, they're even calling Doki Doki "Glitter Force Doki Doki"? F**king stupid name. They're Evil or Very Mad

Well, most Americans don't know what "Doki Doki" means. And if your title is meaningless, that will turn off audiences as they pick something else. It's what happened to The Shawshank Redemption, for instance--despite it being one of the greatest movies of all time, it bombed at the box office because people asked, "What is a Shawshank, and why is it redeemed?" (This is not just for American audiences, but people everywhere around the world. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it chances are it'll still be your first impression.)

(Notice that, when Pokémon was new, they made a big deal with pointing out it's short for "Pocket Monsters." Heck, Digimon, which came out right before it, did the same by giving the subtitle of "Digital Monsters.")
LaytonPuzzle27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor Sedna I don't like Glitter Force either but they are however some Precure fans
supporting this. Here is a quote from a user from Pretty Cure Fandom Wiki site why they're supporting it the user replied "if we don't support this then we will never get a Japanese version officially subbed or a uncut English dub. one of the voice actors said Toei approved of Saban of having Precure over here. plus there are people and kids that love glitter force. Saban made this dub for kids not us. saying bad things will just push away the chance for us getting a new English dub and official subs."
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:

@Codeanime93

Yeah, that's one thing I found odd with Saint Seiya and such, the characters looking/sounding much older than they are, along with Sailor Moon, in fact, I thought the five Inners were adults when I first saw it. That's even a case with Bleach I've noticed, I've seen a picture of Ichigo all ripped yet he's only 15.

I've heard the reason they're like that is because they're also escapist fantasy series where power, beauty and masculinity are portrayed as over the top as possible, and the characters like say, the Sailors, are portrayed more as mature adult women than teenagers.

And I thought Fist of the North Star portrayed masculinity in an over the top fashion enough during the 80s. Then came Saint Seiya.
No I'm starting to think the cast of Saint Seiya has aging problems or something. They age at a fast rate or something and then stop aging at a certain point?
And this article missed Ronin Warriors.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
If you can believe it, Saint Seiya's characters are about in the same age range as Sailor Moon's characters. Especially jarring is Dragon Shiryu who is aged as being about 15 during the show despite looking like he's in his early 20s and voiced in the Japanese version by a manly sounding Hirotaka Suzuoki.

In fact all the characters in that show suffer from "younger than they look" syndrome, even Athena herself. And Seiya himself is younger than Sailor Moon's character was by a year when they started the show. Yet again he's drawn like he's about 16 or 17.

The anime certainly made some of them worse. Sagittarius Aiolos for instance was 14 spoiler[when he died], so in the manga he looked roughly the same age as the main characters (Seiya and Shun were 13, Shiryu and Hyoga were 14, and Ikki was 15). The anime made him look later 20s, lol.

Marin and Shaina were 16, which means Marin was like 9 when she started training Seiya, which does not work with any flashbacks we see.

Shaina was worse, you have a 30+ year old Mami Koyama voicing her and Koyama always sounds like a mature sounding older woman (except maybe for Dragonball).
Kind of like Suzuoki voicing Shiryu, heck Suzuoki made Bright Noa sound older than he was and he's suppose to be 19 in the first Gundam show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2